1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

You shop on Craigslist? Jesus man....

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Riverpig, Jan 19, 2023.

1. Jan 19, 2023 at 7:06 PM
    Riverpig

Riverpig [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB
    So, where do folks go to buy used Tacoma accessories? I have good luck with CL but other feels it’s a waste of time. As far as I know, Offer Up is filled with stolen goods, Facebook Messenger you have to be a member, the Buy/Sell option here is more toward sellers than buyers unless you are willing to pay shipping or are a local pick up.

Superdave1.0 and Slick Taco like this.
  2. Jan 19, 2023 at 7:16 PM
    Bivouac

Bivouac Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern Lehigh Valley Pa
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma 5 speed 3.4
    Remains to be seen I bought the tires and wheels the rest came along
    Where you live plays a big part . Just what your sourcing .

Your local market area . CarPart.com and local yards

Not many first Generation Tacoma`s in left in the Northeast USA last long in yards.

My First Choice is always Toyota Forums.

Ebay was great long ago to sell or buy now it has been years since I bought anything.

Pay Shipping find local or buy new.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  3. Jan 19, 2023 at 7:21 PM
    Rock Lobster

Rock Lobster Thread Derailer

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Dee Eff Dub
    Vehicle:
    Sport Crew represent
    Patience is key in the used market. I wait until the opportunity presents itself. Doesn't matter where. If I don't like any part of the deal, I wait.

If I want it now I buy it new.

ToyoTaco25, Mully, Wulf and 8 others like this.
  4. Jan 19, 2023 at 7:30 PM
    Boco10

Boco10 Well-Known Member

Member:
    ADK
    I was able to score on the cheap some front seats and JLB audio for my second gen at a salvage yard. FB marketplace is where I get most of my parts and have met some interesting Tacoma owners..

5. Jan 19, 2023 at 7:34 PM
    Clearwater Bill

Clearwater Bill Never answer an anonymous letter

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    '13 5 lug AC w/convenience package
    A few OE parts from fancy trucks
    I got my backup camera and supporting mirror and my intermittent wiper module right here in our BST forum. From 3 different sellers.

Tacospike likes this.
  6. Jan 19, 2023 at 7:40 PM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ I drink, and I know things… Moderator

Member:
    Looks like Alaska
    Vehicle:
    POS Jeep
    When I had FB many moons ago, the marketplace was pretty sketchy depending on what one was looking for. Bikes or easily stolen items show up there quite a bit. If you ask for a serial number or proof of ownership I would get ghosted 8 out of 10 times.

Craigslist has been pretty good to me depending on what your looking for and how you handle the deal. I almost was scammed out of 4500.00 for a custom front axle (rock crawling). The buyer had a cashiers check for the amount. He was hesitant to go to my bank and deposit the money, but agreed. The teller after taking the check told us the computer system crashed and it would take 10 min to get back online. What I didn’t know is she was lying, called the PD, and stalled us. He was arrested on the spot. The check was from a real account and bank. However that branch had closed 9 months earlier. My bank took care of me that day. I had his vehicle impounded as well.

I purchased my LS motors off CL without any issues, so that has been great.

Last year I purchased a really nice Simpson pressure washer for first cheap. Used once.

In the past 12 years I have sold every vehicle on CL up to 45k dollars without any issues. I met the buyers at the bank and did a transfer. Very easy.

Offer up has been pretty decent. Your information is out there so it helps stop with the stolen items (at least for my area).

Sold probably 4000.00 worth of tools last year on CL and TW. Worked flawlessly.

7. Jan 19, 2023 at 7:45 PM
    Boco10

Boco10 Well-Known Member

Member:
    ADK
    I also have started selling stuff off craigslist. Definitely a ton of scammers out there but they are easy to pick out.

ToyoTaco25 and Slick Taco like this.
  8. Jan 19, 2023 at 7:49 PM
    coopnugz

coopnugz Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cooper
    Vehicle:
    2022 Black Trail
    Have bought and sold boats, bikes, music equip, tools, and my first taco all on CraigsList for as long as I can remember.

I’ve found it pretty easy to avoid scams, if you’re selling just don’t put up with any shit, and if you’re buying be patient and wade through all the dead ends… of course it is a numbers game and success is largely determined by the size of your metropolitan area.

I rate CL over Facebook marketplace since I can’t stand having no choice in my anonymity. I don’t have Facebook anymore but in the past had people contact me for months after a sale asking questions and getting off topic. Started to feel a little bit invasive.

Slick Taco likes this.
  9. Jan 19, 2023 at 7:56 PM
    Slick Taco

Slick Taco Id Rather Be Airborne

Member:
    Lost somewhere in the PNW
    Vehicle:
    Current vehicles: 2019 Rav4 Lunar Rock. 2018 TRD OR DCSB KD Max tuned. 2010 Tundra Limited Crew Max . 1991 4Runner Crawler. Ivan Stewart Edition
    KD Max Tune, King 2.5 coil overs T.C. UCA's, Deaver leafs, 17x9 Black Rhyno Warlords, 33" Toyo M/T's, Metal Tech rear bumper, Westin HDX drop steps with Bullet Liner coating, K&N CAI, Baja Designs fog pods, Rigid Midnight addition 3" pod ditch lights. Cali Raised brackets and 32" behind the grill mounted light bar, Southern Style Offroad Lopro Stage II front bumper, Warn winch, FACTOR 55 Ultra Hook, FACTOR 55 Hawes Fairleed, full debadge, Cosmetic goodies such as 15% carbon tint, matte black in channel rain guards, interior LED's, Teton Workshop shift knob, Inferno vinyl detailing on the interior, Cali Raised multi rocker switch cubby insert with Mc Tuning LED switches and a few other mods I've probably left out.
    Not on FB but I've always had good luck with CL. Its local and meeting face to face is nice. I've been ripped off as a buyer on Offer Up with absolutely no help from Offer Up. Won't use it again.

ColoradoTJ likes this.
  10. Jan 19, 2023 at 7:59 PM
    ScrippsRanch67

ScrippsRanch67 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma Pre-Runner 2wd Quad Cab short bed
    Fiberglass shell
    I used to sell an assortment of items cluttering up my garage and home on Offer Up, taking a break from it for awhile...too many goofballs have taken it over.

11. Jan 19, 2023 at 8:01 PM
    ScrippsRanch67

ScrippsRanch67 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma Pre-Runner 2wd Quad Cab short bed
    Fiberglass shell
    I am proud to say no FB for me!

12. Jan 19, 2023 at 8:07 PM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ I drink, and I know things… Moderator

Member:
    Looks like Alaska
    Vehicle:
    POS Jeep
    No kidding (on offer up)? That sucks.

13. Jan 19, 2023 at 8:08 PM
    Toyko Joe

Toyko Joe Here for the pictures

Member:
    I prefer Craigslist over Fb or offer up because it’s more like the traditional classified ads read and dream, hope you’re the first to show up with cash in hand to make the deal and that it is up to your dream expectation.

With that said it’s about the people around you and the way they off load items. I feel like where I am at in the country there are not enough used cars, I’ve been looking for a wrangler, or tracker, xl7 or grand Vitara with <150,000 miles 4x4 for under $6k for far too long. Every market is different just have to find what suits your needs.

14. Jan 19, 2023 at 8:11 PM
    Superdave1.0

Superdave1.0 Grandma Dave

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    LX470
    The last 4 vehicles I've sold I listed on offer up and CL. Tons of BS messages and low balls on offer up, can be annoying. Yet all 4 of the vehicles sold through offer up, not Craigslist.

15. Jan 19, 2023 at 8:14 PM
    Boco10

Boco10 Well-Known Member

Member:
    ADK
    I had a guy low ball me on a set of tires for a week or two. Then finally accepted my price and gave me his address and said he will have the money at 4pm. I did not hear from him until 10pm asking why I did not deliver his tires at 4. Well, I never said I would deliver and surely was not going to take a ferry and drive for two hours. He was pissed. I could have just moved on but I trolled him. Basically, told him I was desperate for crack cocaine, and I needed money bad. Told him I could be at his place at around 2AM. He did not reply. I kept PMing him asking if I was going to get my crack or not?

16. Jan 19, 2023 at 8:17 PM
    Toyko Joe

Member:
    Ferry to vt? Essex? Yeah meet at a Stewart’s instead.

17. Jan 19, 2023 at 8:21 PM
    Boco10

Boco10 Well-Known Member

Member:
    ADK
    Yes, VT Ferry. Wanted me to drive from Plattsburgh to Stowe.

18. Jan 19, 2023 at 8:25 PM
    Toyko Joe

Member:
    Ba ha ha fools

19. Jan 19, 2023 at 8:41 PM
    Boco10

Boco10 Well-Known Member

Member:
    ADK
    Thing is I was actually working in Milton and would have met him somewhere, but he was insistent that I deliver them to him directly to his door for no extra fee. Anyhow ended up meeting a nice guy works at Green Mountain coffee and met him at the sandbar. We actually threw them on right there on site and talked wheeling for a good hour. I also bought Tonneau from a UVM student and later he tagged along with my friends to Northfield and did some class 4 roads. Same thing good kid and was really into Tacoma's like me. You never know what you are going to get. I find If someone actually is going to buy something it will be right away. If they ask to pay with Zeille or some BS about not having money it is not going to happen.

20. Jan 19, 2023 at 8:45 PM
    Hook78

Hook78 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eastern NC
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB TRD OR
    Bilstein 6112/5160 Icon RXT
    Hell of a story about the bank saving your butt!

Products Discussed in

To Top