1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Your experience with Add -a - Leaf or Add Lift Helper Springs.

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Pearson, Dec 22, 2021.

1. Dec 22, 2021 at 2:11 PM
    Pearson

Pearson [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Elliott
    Lexington Texas
    Vehicle:
    Black 2012 2.7L Prerunner
    Looks like I have a plan for the budget revival of my suspension and it may involve helper spring add-ons to my OE Leaf Packs.

If you have used or have experience with add a leafs (Helpers) especially those that advertize extra lift could you share your thoughts on quality, overall outcome, and satisfaction?

2. Dec 24, 2021 at 7:54 PM
    Bikinaz

Bikinaz It wasn't me!

Member:
    First Name:
    Hey You!
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2014 Regular Cab 4x4 5MT
    Pelfreybuilt Skids. ModCo wheels. Sliders. Cruise Control. Intermittent Wipers. Fog Lights.
    I have the "Headstrong" progressive aal right now. I had a single leaf about a year ago.
    0314200805.jpg

Pearson[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  3. Dec 24, 2021 at 7:58 PM
    pdaddy

pdaddy WeLl-KnOwN mEmBeR

Member:
    First Name:
    Preston
    Central AL
    Vehicle:
    ‘13 DCSB Converted Prerunner 4wd
    I had wheelers single AAL. I liked it, gave me 1.5 inch lift which leveled my truck. About 2 years later I noticed I was hitting rear bump stops more/sagging (do have RTT and HEAVY rear bumper). Scored a free stock tacoma leaf pack with like 30K miles and this time I went with a icon 3 leaf progressive AAL. Didn’t really noticed a difference over the single AAL but it did stop bottoming out. Still level and I sag when I have weight in the bed, I will be getting a HD leaf pack soon

4. Dec 24, 2021 at 8:06 PM
    Bikinaz

Bikinaz It wasn't me!

Member:
    First Name:
    Hey You!
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2014 Regular Cab 4x4 5MT
    Pelfreybuilt Skids. ModCo wheels. Sliders. Cruise Control. Intermittent Wipers. Fog Lights.
    I'm with ya on that HD leaf pack, and will probably get some eventually. I'm set up somewhat similar to you, with some weight in the back but no bumper. I get a wallowing in the back end that reminds me of a mid 60s Cadillac with its original springs. I'm going to try something different pretty quick on my rear leaves before I spring for name brand springs.

Pearson[OP] likes this.
  5. Dec 24, 2021 at 8:12 PM
    Pearson

Member:
    First Name:
    Elliott
    Lexington Texas
    Vehicle:

So you actually got a 1.5" lift with the helper? Good info, I am actually on the lookout for a set of OE's leafs with low miles thinking maybe I can just replace my OE's without too big of an investment. The ones I have found until now were priced right but would have lost their value through shipping.

6. Dec 26, 2021 at 5:39 AM
    dk_crew

dk_crew Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma 4x4
    I also have the progressive HS AAL and got about 1.5. Rides fine with the 5100s. I’d recommend them.

7. Dec 26, 2021 at 9:10 AM
    Pearson

Member:
    First Name:
    Elliott
    Lexington Texas
    Vehicle:

Yeah, the 5100's would be nice. I have a potential chance to end up with a set, but still too early to tell. I'll see what I can find in regards to the Progressive HS AAL. At this point, I am checking out the Icon and Hellwing offerings. Reviews seem to be the best indicator as to what to expect from the individual companies.
    Thanks for reaching out.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2021
  8. Dec 26, 2021 at 9:26 AM
    Fluffymonkey

Fluffymonkey Token

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 Trd Sport DC, 07 DC sr5, 03 Prerunner
    2003: Stock 2007: Avid Offroad sliders, 30% front tint, bed mat, Truxedo low-pro qt tonneu cover, aero turbine 2525 muffler w/ 8'' tip, AR25 Resonator, 16x8 Dick Cepek DC-1 w/ 265/75 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, 2010 headlights, ome 884 coils with .5'' top plate spacer, OME sport front shocks, bilsten 5100s rear, 2'' aal, locking gas cap, LR ucas, Viper 2-way remote start, afe drop in filter, Rocky locking bike mounts, gear chest, scangauge, pop n lock tailgate lock 2013: most things transferred over from my 07, 5100s @ .85 + eibachs and Toytec tps for 3'' front lift, wheelers progressive aal w/ overload; compustar 2-way remote start; Antennex shorty antenna, pop n lock tailgate lock with programmable key, seat covers, Toyota's crappy all-weather floor mats (should have got Husky's or Weathertechs), TRD skid plate, led light pods mounted in front bumper valence w/ Eyourlife wireless harness and remote, led bed lights, light pods mounted in bed, Devil Horns emblem from Diaz Fabrications, rear facing pod lights in bed, under seat lights,
    I've been running the Wheelers Offroad 3 leaf progressive aal. I left the overload in for 2 inches of lift. The ride is leagues smoother than the single Toytec aal I ran on my last Tacoma. Now, about 8 years later, I started noticing a sloppy rear and some sagging. I've since slapped Hellwig 550 helper springs on as a bandaid fix until I can upgrade the entire leaf pack. The helper springs do indeed stiffen up the rear and eliminate some of the slop. 20210628_135419.jpg

208Yoda and Pearson[OP] like this.
  9. Dec 26, 2021 at 9:58 AM
    Pearson

Member:
    First Name:
    Elliott
    Lexington Texas
    Vehicle:

Good info, I just found out about the Hell Wing brand and am looking into them. Thanks for reaching out!

Fluffymonkey[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Dec 26, 2021 at 3:53 PM
    Tacomod

Tacomod Well-Known Member

Member:
    I had great experiences with my Icon AAL pack until i fully replaced it with a deaver leaf pack. Replaced it because I'm going for a heavy bumper in the rear. The AAL was perfect for tonneau + rack + RTT + camping gear load.

Pearson[OP] likes this.
  11. Dec 26, 2021 at 5:24 PM
    Pearson

Member:
    First Name:
    Elliott
    Lexington Texas
    Vehicle:

Good info., ICON offerings seem to be well respected around here. Thanks for taking the time, ill have to look into their offering a bit closer. It may be that I have to try and revive my 200K paks with a set of these.

Products Discussed in

To Top