1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

YOUR Manual Trans?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by BSP4x4, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Aug 23, 2009 at 6:20 PM
    nad

nad mmmm tacos!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 Sierra All Terrain
    I have the same problems, the problem with getting into second is fixed with a short shifter and the problem wiht putting it in first is not a problem at all, in fact i believe its the way it was designed, my golf was the same way, first gear is used to get the truck moving and is a very short gear. It does bother me tho, sometimes I am going a speed where I believe I should be in first and it wont let me put it in it, so I have to put it in second and drive a too low of rpm.

2. Aug 24, 2009 at 12:54 AM
    PR45

PR45 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner SR5 4cyl
    My theory on the difficulty of the rolling first gear downshift has to do with the ratio of the gear and my 4.10 axle. It's just a lot of work for the synchro to spin the clutch disc up the the rpms required when you engage first. I can hear it spinning up as I try to downshift. I've been able to do it at slow speeds, but have never tried to blip the throttle to aid the shift.

Instead, I've resorted to the farmer method that worked so well with the 300 six in my old Ford: As long as I'm rolling, I stay in 2nd. The 4 isn't as relaxed doing it, but it seems to pull out of it without trouble.

My Ford was the 4 speed OD, so whenever I miss it, I just shift the Toyota at 3000 RPM and skip 3rd....

3. Aug 24, 2009 at 1:38 AM
    edoilfan

edoilfan Member

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD
    TRD exhaust, AFE pro dry stage 2 cold air intake, AFE TBS
    I'm trading in my 07 6 spd on an 09 auto. Unfortunately, the clutch burned up at 50,000 kms and is making funny smells again 15,000 kms later. I've driven a stick all my life, I don't ride the clutch etc. Talked to my service guy, he asked around other dealers and Toyota Canada, they haven't heard of any problems such as mine. If I have it in 4 hi and spin the tires at all in reverse (ice, snow, mud) it reeks like clutch in the cab.

4. Aug 24, 2009 at 5:05 AM
    sriley727

sriley727 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Aiken, SC
    Vehicle:
    08 Reg cab PreRunner SR5
    Bone stock
    Honda makes the best manual trannies in the world. They have better/more first gear synchros in there trannies.

5. Oct 11, 2009 at 7:00 PM
    Kees

Kees Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kees
    Southwestern Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 Access Cab 4 cyl 5 speed manual
    FJ case swap, twin stick conversion
    I have a 2009 4cyl 5speed 4x4 access cab. Love the truck and have approx 8000 km (5000 miles) on it. I have noticed from day 1 that the truck seems reluctant to go into first gear unless traveling very slowly. The shift from 1st to 2nd seems to be a tricky one and I can hear the synchros working.
    Even the shift from 2nd to 3rd feels notchy most times. Rev matching makes the downshift from 2nd to 1st a little smoother but it's still tricky. Everything feels smoother once the truck is warmed up. Last week I had a 1350 pound skid in the box and everything seemed very smooth and the truck handled it no problem.

I drive an 18 wheeler for a living and shifting my tacoma reminds me of shifting the rig in some ways. Like someone said in an earlier post, the tacoma tranny seems to be notchy, but tough. If you know how to double clutch, it might help between 1st and 2nd.

All in all I'm happy with the truck.

6. Oct 11, 2009 at 7:34 PM
    bigyetti

bigyetti Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    asheville, nc
    Vehicle:
    08 taco dc 4x4 short bed
    sirius satilite radio, more on the way when i get more money. oh ya removed the secondary filter
    i like my 6spd. thank god for the factory warrenty. if something sounds bad it gos to the dealer, if they cant fix it. it is doccumented and future problems are easly fixed. at least thats what i think. my .02 happy 4x4ing

7. Dec 1, 2009 at 7:34 PM
    dingchavez24

dingchavez24 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 Manual TRD Sport SR5
    Current: URD Short Shifter, Flyeyes, CB, Billy's rear bumper
    I've been looking for someone else with this same issue on TW for some time now and am glad that someone else knows their truck well enough to recognize the "clunking" when in neutral with a manual shift. If anyone has more information to add to both BlackSandPearl4x4's message posted on page 2 and CtryBoyInMT's "words of advice" response with addtional suggestions to cure these clunking issues, it would be greatly appreciated!

BassAckwards likes this.
  8. Dec 2, 2009 at 5:35 AM
    BSP4x4

BSP4x4 [OP] Guest

Dingchavez24: are you experienceing the same thing as me?

9. Dec 2, 2009 at 5:51 AM
    dingchavez24

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 Manual TRD Sport SR5
    I am assuming so. Per your comments earlier in this thread, with my 09 Manual transmission TRD Sprt when going over, for instance, rough rail-road tracks when in neutral, with the radio off i can hear the rear suspension (and sometimes the front suspension) "clunk" as if there was something in the bed of the truck slightly loose creating a rattling sound. It is only apparent in neutral and not when in gear but it's bothering the crap out of me!

I liked Ctry's response at the end of page 2 of this thread where he responded to your same issue and mentioned "slapping" and possible tightening bolts??? Have you had any luck with taking this issue to the dealer for any resolution?

BassAckwards likes this.
  10. Dec 2, 2009 at 5:56 AM
    BSP4x4

BSP4x4 [OP] Guest

no luck, been to the dealer twice! My noise is definitley coming from the FRON end and near the trans....i do get the noise you are talking about too

11. Dec 2, 2009 at 6:03 AM
    dingchavez24

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 Manual TRD Sport SR5
    I've been driving a ford ranger 5-spd manual for years prior to this and never heard all the clunking ONLY when in neutral. From all the posts on this thread, I'll chalk it up as "normal" for the time being but that much rattling sometimes makes me cring and worry about the solidity of the suspension...

Guess i'll need to test-drive another one for kicks to see what's really "up"...

Thanks!

12. Dec 2, 2009 at 6:12 AM
    Gwest1967

Gwest1967 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregg
    S.E. Kansas
    Vehicle:
    SR5 V6 4x4 Ext Cab
    16 inch tires/wheels
    My 5 spd has noise too, but it has 164k on it.. I would check the fluid level and maybe put in a better synthetic oil in the tranny.

13. Dec 2, 2009 at 6:27 AM
    Fire931

Fire931 Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    00 4Runner
    i don't have any major grips about my tranny... it dosnt shift like a porsche but then again it is a truck. i am running amsoil fluid in everything on my truck and have been really happy with it. one thing i have noticed now that its getting cold again is that it seems to shift a bit smoother first thing in the morning when the fluid is still cold and thick. due to this i may try changing out the fluid to something a bit thicker just to see if it helps more once the tranny is up to temp. but overall i can't really complain about it at all... it can be tricky to shift espically if your trying to shift fast, but i've noticed if you take your time shifting it goes pretty smooth.

14. Dec 2, 2009 at 6:41 AM
    dingchavez24

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 Manual TRD Sport SR5
    As I'm more electromechanically inclined... if I went to the dealer and told them to change my oil to a synthetic (i.e. Amsoil), can you provide the list of items they should change the oil out to? will they even perform that for me or is it something I'd need to do myself. Sorry, I'm not a nube to vehicles as I've helped design a hybrid crossover during college, but I don't yet trust my abilities to thoroughly drain and top off oil reservoirs (much less do i trust the technicians to actually do it, and do it correctly before damaging my toy)

15. Dec 2, 2009 at 7:48 AM
    Fire931

Fire931 Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    00 4Runner
    not sure i'd take it to a dealer to have that done if you dont want to attempt it yourself. i'm sure they would give you some rash of BS about how you should only use genuine toyota fluids or whatever.....

Products Discussed in

To Top