1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Zerk Problems

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by rex99, May 27, 2013.

1. May 27, 2013 at 9:48 AM
    rex99

rex99 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    TArdCOMAWORLD
    Vehicle:
    Proton Cruiser
    Rocket Boosters, Flux Capacitor, Escape Pod, Throttle Body Spacer, Homeroshi, ATRAC disable
    So at nearly 80k miles, I finally decided it was time to grease the zerks. I understand it's well overdue, however I never took it seriously until just recently. Lately I've been feeling a bit of driveline shudder; nothing major, but enough that I realized something didn't feel right.

Anywho, fast forward to today. I grab my grease gun filled with Lucas Oil Red n Tacky #2, crawl under the truck, and see this:

Front
    [​IMG]

Mid
    [​IMG]

Rear
    [​IMG]

It isn't just dirt. I took a wet rag and tried to wipe it off, nothing. I tried scraping it with my fingernail, nothing. I haven't done more than that for fear of damaging it. They each look like they've been painted over with undercoating. I've never undercoated myself, nor have I taken the truck somewhere to be undercoated. The only place that could have would have been the dealership, maybe as a preventative measure before I bought it. Could they have been stupied enough to do this? Is there anyway to safely get it off? Am I screwed and just having to wait til my driveshaft fails? If it does can I hold the dealership responsible? Will I ever stop asking questions?

2. May 27, 2013 at 9:53 AM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    Looks like your zerks have never been touched. It's just the paint they used on the drive shaft when it was originally painted. Just take a screw driver and scrape til you see silver. Then depress the ball on the zerk with the screw driver to free it up so you can flow grease through it. Good luck

3. May 27, 2013 at 10:06 AM
    82 yotaman

82 yotaman H.O.G Hunter Of Gunman

Member:
    First Name:
    BUBBA
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    1982 toyta pickup/2013 toy MGM dcab 4x4 trd
    avs bugshield, avs inchannel vent visors, weather techs, trd shift knob, tailgate theft mod, windows tinted to 20%, wet okole front and back and black level 8 guardians wrapped in 265/75/R16 Duratracs oil catch can mod interior LED's, pop & lock pl5500, Leer 180 topper, OME full lift with Arb bullbar
    I agree with Doording that sounds like a good starting point good luck OP.

4. May 27, 2013 at 10:07 AM
    rex99

Member:
    TArdCOMAWORLD
    Vehicle:
    Proton Cruiser
    Rocket Boosters, Flux Capacitor, Escape Pod, Throttle Body Spacer, Homeroshi, ATRAC disable
    Thanks, I scraped it a bit and found the ball. I slipped the end of the gun over the fitting and squeezed the grease in. After a bit some of the grease was coming out from the side. I assume that means its full?

5. May 27, 2013 at 10:15 AM
    rex99

Member:
    TArdCOMAWORLD
    Vehicle:
    Proton Cruiser
    After trying again, I tightened the nozzle on the grease gun. I gave the gun a few more pumps, then took the gun off. I pushed the ball in and grease came oozing out. Now I assume THAT means its full?

6. May 27, 2013 at 10:15 AM
    Texoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more

When you see grease coming out all of the cups, then they are successfully lubricated.

7. May 27, 2013 at 10:26 AM
    Greytacoma1

Greytacoma1 Senior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    dave
    Sacramento ca
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma dc lb
    Satoshi grill, Plasti derp, Ready lift kit, Wheelers 2 inch aal, Hella 700, Wheather tech floor mats, Blueinstinct armrest cover, sockmonkey bed decal, BHLM, debadge, 35% tint front windows, OEM roof rack, OEM step bar, TRD skid plate, tacomaworld.com decal, stock antenna trimed, gorilla extended lug nuts,diff breather mod, cab mount chop, AVS window visor, spidertrax 1.25 wheel spacers, toytec sway bar relocate, extra d ring mod
    OP, did it improve your drive line shutter after you greased?

8. May 27, 2013 at 10:28 AM
    rex99

Member:
    TArdCOMAWORLD
    Vehicle:
    Proton Cruiser
    Cup? Sorry, not hip to the lingo. You mean the nozzle of the grease gun?

Haven't tried yet. Once I'm done I'll take it for a spin and see

9. May 27, 2013 at 10:36 AM
    ETaco23

ETaco23 Marshall offroad Fabrication

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    13' Pyrite Mica TRD Offroad DCSB 4x4
    Color Match Grille, Bed mat, Kings with JBA UCA's, Dakars and 34" BFG KM3, Snugtop Canopy, and my "Marshall Fabrication" Rock Sliders.
    Grease will come out of each end of the u-joint. (4 spots)
    Then it good to go.

10. May 27, 2013 at 10:39 AM
    TexasTacoma37

TexasTacoma37 Well-Known Member

Member:
  11. May 27, 2013 at 10:42 AM
    Texoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4

The cups are what covers each of the 4 ends of the U joint. They house the needle bearings. When you see grease flowing from all of them, then it's full. If you have grease flowing between the tip of the grease gun and the zerk, then the zerk ball is stuck, you have to unstuck it with a screw driver.

12. May 27, 2013 at 11:02 AM
    rex99

Member:
    TArdCOMAWORLD
    Vehicle:
    Proton Cruiser
    Howdy Keef... come grease my truck

Okay, think I got it. Found one zerk towards the front of the front driveshaft, one towards the front of the main d/s, one at the midpoint/knuckle, and one in front of the the rear diff. Miss any?

13. May 27, 2013 at 11:27 AM
    rex99

Member:
    TArdCOMAWORLD
    Vehicle:
    Proton Cruiser
    Yeah I guess model would've helped (derp) 2010 dcsb 4x4 sport

I'll keep checking around for info, I'm fairly confident I got them.

Thanks again all

Ps: after a quick ride, it feels a bit smoother. Could just be a placebo effect though.

14. May 27, 2013 at 11:50 AM
    rex99

Member:
    TArdCOMAWORLD
    Vehicle:
    Proton Cruiser
    I hit one zerk on each of the four driveshaft points I named earlier (front of front driveshaft, front of main d/s, midpoint, and rear end of main d/s); negative on the suspension greasing :anonymous:

And the flux capacitor is good as long as I maintain the 1.21 Gigawatts.

15. May 27, 2013 at 12:56 PM
    wlmuncy

wlmuncy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2007 Double Cab Manual 4*4
  16. May 27, 2013 at 1:13 PM
    kegman

kegman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Regina sask canada
    Vehicle:
    tacoma trd 4x4 2007
    Yes you have 5.You may have missed the rear zerk on front diff.it is located above a small shield held in place by 2 bolts.Remove the shield and you should see another zerk there.

17. May 27, 2013 at 1:46 PM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    If grease didn't come from all 4 caps you didn't properly lubricate your u-joint. If grease only came out the side of the grease gun tip by the zerk it didn't go into the joint.

18. May 28, 2013 at 5:28 AM
    wlmuncy

wlmuncy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2007 Double Cab Manual 4*4

You are welcome sir:p

19. May 28, 2013 at 7:07 AM
    custom90gt

custom90gt Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    05 SWB TRD Off Road
    I just tried to do mine. Out of the 5, 2 took the grease right away. I tried replacing the zerks on the other 3, but they still wouldn't take any grease. A 5 minute job ended up taking 3 hours, now I guess I'm going to just replace them all...

20. May 28, 2013 at 7:21 AM
    custom90gt

custom90gt Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    05 SWB TRD Off Road
    All of the U-joints. The previous owner said he regularly had them done, but that is obviously not the case (shame on me for believing and letting it go as long as I did).

Products Discussed in

To Top