1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ziebart vs. Krown vs. Fluid Film

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by fgeorge097, Aug 21, 2018.

1. Aug 21, 2018 at 3:33 PM
    stun gun

stun gun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaronski
    Vehicle:
    Tacomas.
    17 4X4 sr5spd/01 LT sr5spd
    I have no idea what “undisturbed” means lol. Best not to give it any dirty looks. There was a thread here where I did a fluid film vs mavcoat in salt water, the fluid film had less rust intrusion, but between both, there was little difference. I care about my truck and want to preserve it, and that includes not covering the underside (where I often am) with stuff that stays wet and picks up/holds onto road grime. The same rock impact would compromise anything else... but you have a point about the “creep” possibly covering it up again. I don’t put that much thought into it, there are too many variables. My final conclusion is- hard coatings eventually compromise and hide corrosion, fluid film picks up too much stuff and is miserable to work around. Where mavcoat may need to be touched up, but it is pleasant to work around and is transparent, doesn’t collect grime, doesn’t hide corrosion under a shell, Smells cool, so it’s that acceptable medium for me.

2. Aug 21, 2018 at 3:52 PM
    fgeorge097

fgeorge097 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northeast
    Vehicle:
    2018 OR AT
    How about Ziebart vs. Krown for the off-roading Tacoma?

I know that fluid film picks up a lot of dirt/grim when offroading, that the winter salts get stuck to and lead to rust.

Is Ziebart or Krown better for the offroader?

Also, I see that they drill holes into your door with the Krown...is that going to damage anything or affect resale value?

3. Aug 21, 2018 at 3:53 PM
    Spare Parts

Spare Parts Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2022 Off Road Premium 4Runner Lunar Rock
    I have no personal experience with known, but isn't it also a seeping oil that collects stuff?

4. Aug 21, 2018 at 4:44 PM
    rickm

rickm Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    MA
    Vehicle:
    2018 BLK Tacoma TRD Pro
    Well I just ordered 4 cans of Mavcoat to get free shipping, still got hit with sales tax. Will see how it works out.

wahoobie, Spare Parts and stun gun like this.
  5. Aug 21, 2018 at 4:55 PM
    boynoyce

boynoyce .

Member:
    Vehicle:
    16SR5AC4X4V6QS
    Not disagreeing with your choice, but regardless of what if any products are applied to the underbody of a vehicle, it is going to collect road grime.

The mavcoat looks a little pricey at $20 a spray can.

I just now bought another gallon can of FF for about $35 on Amazon, and that should last at least a year for a few vehicles, lawn mower, snow blower and some other yard tools.

Yes, absolutely it's a little messy, and doesn't smell great, but it works well for me.

Stocklocker and stun gun[QUOTED] like this.
  6. Aug 21, 2018 at 5:38 PM
    stun gun

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaronski
    Vehicle:
    Tacomas.
    Well that works out, and if I remember right, you invested in all the accoutrements, as opposed to the rattle can, so you’re set up. It’s just another option with different characteristics.

7. Aug 21, 2018 at 5:48 PM
    RocTaco

RocTaco Free stun!

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    Green Mtns
    Vehicle:
    03' Reg. Cab 4x4 5MT
    Sounds kind of similar to boeshield t-9.

lynyrd3 likes this.
  8. Aug 21, 2018 at 5:54 PM
    stun gun

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaronski
    Vehicle:
    Tacomas.
    I don’t know what that is. I assume (could be totally wrong) based on what I heard about boeshield in the context it was used...it’s like a armor all alternative? Mav dries, dries clear, and has barely any tack to it, with like a matte finish.

plasticsnaks and RocTaco[QUOTED] like this.
  9. Aug 21, 2018 at 5:58 PM
    RocTaco

RocTaco Free stun!

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    Green Mtns
    Vehicle:
    03' Reg. Cab 4x4 5MT
    Nah supposedly it's a wax based lubricant, so it should dry and repel water/dust. Haven't used it personally.

stun gun[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Aug 21, 2018 at 6:01 PM
    TireFire

TireFire Superunknown Member

Member:
    Olympic Peninsula
    Even tho fluid film will collect grime it will prevent rust because no oxygen can reach the metal.

If you can't deal with grime get ready to wirewheel and touch up twice a year. Or move to fucking Arizona. Or get over the fact that your truck will not last forever

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
    Silentshredr, s.e.charles and lynyrd3 like this.
  11. Aug 21, 2018 at 6:03 PM
    stun gun

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaronski
    Vehicle:
    Tacomas.
    Yeah it kinda feels waxy. But I have no idea wtf it is, or what voodoo they use to allow it to be welded through without contamination.

RocTaco[QUOTED] likes this.
  12. Aug 21, 2018 at 6:15 PM
    Stocklocker

Stocklocker Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17TRDORDCSBAT
    I’ve been using schmoo for years. Never had a spot of rust after applying a good dose of schmoo. Way better than any of the competition, just hard to come by in pure form.

13. Aug 21, 2018 at 6:20 PM
    Joe23

Joe23 Canuckistikian

Member:
    The Great White North
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off-road DCSB
    My only issue with krown, why I'm thinking trying something else like fluid film, is the fact it drips so much especially when weather warms up. Then it's a royal fucking cunt to remove from asphalt

14. Aug 21, 2018 at 6:24 PM
    TireFire

TireFire Superunknown Member

Member:
    Olympic Peninsula
    What is that?

15. Aug 21, 2018 at 7:18 PM
    stun gun

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaronski
    Vehicle:
    Tacomas.

lynyrd3 and Stocklocker[QUOTED] like this.
  16. Aug 21, 2018 at 7:36 PM
    daks

daks Juzt for Shitz

Member:
    Hammertown,Canada
    Vehicle:
    2017-TRD-Sport DCSB
    Ongoing
    ACF-50 made by Lear Chemical

Used on airplanes, helicopters, military equipment.

You can use just about any sprayer for it, I use a cheap princess auto (harbor freight of Canada) undercoating sprayer and it's tip is good for getting into holes.
    Sprays on like a light oil film, feels like a light silicone film on the vehicle. Collects a layer of dust, heavy stuff slides/washes off, so no "grunge"
    Does not damage, rubber, vinyl, paint. (but I still would not put it on doorseals).
    Electrically non-conductive and will help seal electrical connections from corrosion.
    High heat tolerant, High Lubricity (don't get it on your brakes!) so it stops all those squeaks but does not loosen nuts and bold like petrol based products.
    I sprayed it all over the surface of my engine compartment as it works on Aluminum and Zinc also. (avoid the serpentine belt though and pulleys because of the lubricity).
    I spreads out and seeps into all the nooks and crannies, and if it drips, you sprayed on too much.
    It stops corrosion like other products by separating the metal from oxygen but also has a chemical action.

You can wash it off with soap and water if you really want to.

I have a 2017 that never goes in the garage and see's lots of salt in the winter, it's been through one winter so far and there is no visible rust on any of the areas I sprayed. Even the dealer performing service on my truck was impressed and commented on it. :thumbsup:

I did add a LIGHT coat of fluid film to the wheel well areas. In the winter I blast those areas with soapy water at the manual car wash to get the big packed in blocks of black snow and ice out. Underside I just use water to give it a rinse.

17. Aug 22, 2018 at 12:12 AM
    fgeorge097

fgeorge097 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northeast
    Vehicle:
    2018 OR AT
    Interesting feedback.

So, I really can't do it myself, as I mentioned due to back problems. I want to take it to a professional to get it done. Basically the only options I see are Krown, Ziebert, and Fluid Film.

So, of the three, which is the best? Will be getting it done annually, and I do like to off-road, if that matters.

18. Aug 22, 2018 at 12:20 AM
    hiPSI

hiPSI Laminar Flow

Member:
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2024 Long Tundra
    There is no "best" man. Just pick one and do it. I personally don't use anything and I live in salted road snow mountains. I generally keep my vehicles about 100K miles ( 3-4 years) and trade. Everything is still good at that time and bolts can still be turned. Remember people are giving opinions, which are just one data point. All will be better than nothing. The key to all that stuff is annual application.

19. Aug 22, 2018 at 1:39 AM
    lynyrd3

lynyrd3 STRENGTH DETERMINATION MERCILESS FOREVER

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    East Central Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    2008 SR5 AC SUPER WHITE V6 4x4 AT / 2020 RAV4 XLE
    Bilstein 6112s top setting ,Total Chaos UCAs ,1/4" top plate spacer driver side ,SS extended brake lines ,Old Man Emu Medium Duty Dakar leaf springs with AAL,OME carrier bearing shim , Bilstein 5125s for 2-3” of lift in rear ,Timbren SES bump stops , SS extended brake lines rear , Toytec dif drop , Hayden high performance transmission fluid cooler,aFe pro dry air filter .Baja amber driving combo ditch lights , Devil horns by Andres ,Weathertecs floor protector, American Racing wheels Baja 17x8,4.5 BS , 285/70 Falken Wildpeaks AT/3W .Body Armor rear bumper . Extra D rings in bed ,Blue sea fuse block and 100amp breaker ,HomerTaco custom grill in Super White , TRD radiator cap ,Birddawg Industries rear view mirror riser bracket ,Coverking NeoSupreme Mossy Oak seat covers , Paranoid Fabrications fuse /relay holder Painted pinch weld.Shorty antenna ,HVAC knob mod ,LED dome and map lights , Tri Fold bed cover ,UltraGauge ,Morimoto XB LED fog lights ,Energy Suspension poly body bushings and sway bar bushings ! Geartech Customs splash guards ,Salex center console organizer . Mobtown tailgate cap ,tailgate anti theft mod .X-Mat sound deadening/insulation cab floor . Mobtown weld on rock sliders 0* with kickout Raptor lined . ,NEW frame courtesy of Toyota !
    Just order a 6 pack aerosol cans of Krown $49.95 Krown e-store. Free shipping !

20. Aug 22, 2018 at 3:57 AM
    psmura

psmura Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Syracuse, NY
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR MT

For Krown they drilled 1 small hole below the latch on each door on my DCSB. They then used small black plugs with grease on the end to fill the hole. You can’t even tell it’s there. 3rd gens have rocker plugs that can be removed straight from the factory no drilling necessary. I think the rust protection on the inside of my doors outweighs any negative to drilling a hole in a brand new panel.

Tocamo and lynyrd3 like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top