1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

ZR2 to 2020 Offroad

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by kodams, Jan 9, 2020.

1. Jan 10, 2020 at 7:00 AM
    specter208

specter208 Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD SPORT ACLB w/ 6MT TRUCK WHITE
    TOYOTA OEM: Cast Aluminum Running Boards Mud Guards Bed Mat All-Weather Floor Liner NIssan Frontier Sliding Bed Extender
    Trans is reliable. Trans complaints are not based on reliability concerns. Only opinions on how some people believe the Trans should behave.

2. Jan 10, 2020 at 7:01 AM
    CG256

CG256 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '19 TRD OR
    No, it's much better Off Road than a Sport. The rear end alone justifies one over the other, not to mention electronic brake boosting, Crawl Control, MTS, Locker, etc.

One is an appearance package, the other is the Off Road package. When someone comes here and asks specifically about off roading and people lie to them and say that the Sport is just as good, they're trying to justify their own purchase and they aren't being good ambassadors for a brand they're supposedly enthusiasts of.

tacoman45 and cgs2k2 like this.
  3. Jan 10, 2020 at 7:01 AM
    TacoBuffet

TacoBuffet Well-Known Member

Member:
    AL
    Vehicle:
    Taco #13, 2022 OR DCSB Cemint
    5100s, TE37s, Wildpeaks, Tint, Bedmat, LEDs
    You still are continuing to miss the fact that after I joked with him I made several helpful posts answering his question along with others who also initially joked with him. Joking with someone about buying a ridgeline isnt exactly "kicking dirt on someone", I take it you don't joke with your friends either.

BillsSR5 likes this.
  4. Jan 10, 2020 at 7:03 AM
    Undertow

Undertow Well-Known Member

Member:
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2020 Cement DC OR 6MT
    Stock
    The OR ride, in its stock form, is very forgiving in my opinion - too forgiving for me. I've been peddling the Bilstein 6112 coilovers on various posts, but for me this setup gave my 2020 OR a PERFECT ride on road. It's goldilocks for me - not too stiff like when you preload and not too mushy like the stock OR. The damping is perfect over all types of road imperfections.

bonifacio_629 likes this.
  5. Jan 10, 2020 at 7:04 AM
    TacoBuffet

Member:
    AL
    Vehicle:
    Did you even read OPs post or this thread? His main question was the ride on pavement, his offroad use consists of beaches and trails, both a Sport could and do handle just fine. JFC. For someone that is mainly concerned about on pavement ride and does some light wandering off the road a Sport is more than capable and fine, not even going to address your rant about ambassador justifying nonsense. No one was telling him the OR is a waste or the Sport was the same as an OR, just giving him personal perspectives, many of us have owned both and used both on and off road.

sakibomb and rmac010 like this.
  6. Jan 10, 2020 at 7:08 AM
    bonifacio_629

bonifacio_629 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Walther
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Sport, 6MT 4x4 DCSB, Inferno
    Predator steps, TRD cat-back, lots of orange stickers.
    Just FYI, I'm pretty sure the TRD Sport has a stiffer ride than the Off-Road. Of course you can upgrade the suspension and be riding on a cloud for under a grand either way.
    You say the Taco you test drove isn't "up to par" as your Chevy. Someone also mentioned that car reviewers love to heap praises on the Chevy and dog the Taco. There's a reason for that, they get to turn their test vehicles back in once they're done. They don't have to worry about life with the truck after the new car smell is gone and the warranty is running out. Yours is more comfortable maybe but here you are, with a new-ish truck, with a failing transmission.
    Honestly if you had a 4Runner before (and liked it), the Taco shouldn't honestly be that different. I heard they solved the gear-hunting issue for 2020, so look at those, or better yet, take one with a manual for a spin and don't be afraid to really wind it out.

7. Jan 10, 2020 at 7:13 AM
    deuceb

deuceb Well-Known Member

Member:
    Denver | Austin
    Vehicle:
    2018 Taco BBPDCLBTRDOR | 2004 MB SL55 | 86 VW GTI
    Dude, I dunno why my panties were in a bunch last night and it was bothering me the guy was asking for help, and the first few posts people were telling him to buy a ridgeline, and other shit. They seem to be the go to jokes on this forum, and I just never found it funny so I said something. You contributed a lot of useful insights after that (the other guys not so much) that I didn't notice at first cause they weren't included with the jokes. Keep up with the helpful posts and I'll try and find wherever my sense of humor went. :thumbsup:

8. Jan 10, 2020 at 7:14 AM
    TacoBuffet

Member:
    AL
    Vehicle:
    Its okay dude! No worries, we are all people, hope today goes better for ya! :cheers:

deuceb[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Jan 10, 2020 at 7:23 AM
    coopcooper

coopcooper certified youtube mechanic

Member:
    alberta canada
    Vehicle:
    black on black on black 05 trd off road
    stickers and sticker accessory's
    So you still like the zr2 more, but you want to get a Tacoma. I predict many complaint threads in your future.

10. Jan 10, 2020 at 7:38 AM
    navin r

navin r Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 double cab short bed trd off road 4wd w/ premium pkg.
    OP, IMHO go for the Pro, just change the tires. The OR is quite a step down in suspension from a ZR2, the Pro less so, and any Taco should be more reliable than one of the twins. Don't let the flamers on here bother you, that's just every day here on TW.

11. Jan 10, 2020 at 7:41 AM
    1999TacoMan

1999TacoMan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Fort Worth,Texas
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 DCSB (Sold)
    Really ? I thought the interior was too cheap in the Colorado.

shakerhood likes this.
  12. Jan 10, 2020 at 7:44 AM
    mAtTyG04

mAtTyG04 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Edmonton
    Vehicle:
    2019 Quick Sand OR
    6112 Front Suspension, Fox 2.0 Rear Shocks, Nitto Ridge Grappler - LT285/75R17 C, Rear Blackout Tacoma Badge, De-badged, Icon Rebound Wheels, TRD Grill Gights, CBI Ditch Light Brackets w/ Baja Design Lights, Husky Liners, JBA UCAs, Geenlane Off-road Sliders, Tacotrooper Decal, DuraBump Rear Bump Stops, Pro-clip USA Phone Mount
    I found the ZR's seats much nicer. As far as dash/buttons/plastics go in both I find they have a "cheap" look/feel compared to other models out there. At the time (the 2020 Taco was not released yet) the ZR2 did have Apple Car-play and power seats which the Tacoma did not have.

1999TacoMan[QUOTED] likes this.
  13. Jan 10, 2020 at 8:06 AM
    SSMTRDOR

SSMTRDOR Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD OR 4X4
    I test drove a 2019 Ranger Lariat FX4 before buying my Tacoma. It handled more 'car like' than the Tacoma. OP, it may be worth a look.
    I chose the Tacoma, but my last 2 vehicles were a 4Runner and Tacoma, so the Ranger would have had to really blow me away. It didn't.

WSchafer likes this.
  14. Jan 10, 2020 at 8:12 AM
    NAAC3TACO

NAAC3TACO Middle aged member

Member:
    Just east of crazy, NV
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DCLB 4x4
    Color matched door handles, Weathertech floor liners, bed mat, Durafit seat covers, tailgate clamp, 2016 TRD Sport 17" wheels with Yokohama Geolander AT tires , Toyota exhaust tip, Toyota/Yakima bike rail mount, Toyota wheel locks, Toyota hitch cover, Redline hood struts, unifilter on air pump.
    OP, have you had the dealer put the new Dexron HP fluid in it? The original HP fluid has been updated to address the converter shutter in the 8 speed auto. Also inspect your shocks before they go out of warranty. They tend to leak and cost about $1000 a piece.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
    Cementoffroad likes this.
  15. Jan 10, 2020 at 1:02 PM
    ZR NO

ZR NO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD PRO - Super White
    So far just a bed mat and a lighter wallet
    Haha. I would say most of what your seeing is folks typically younger come on the forum and don’t do any research before they ask a question that has been answered a million times before. In other words they don’t check the sticky’s or use the search function. I am older myself and I get what your saying but if you spend a good length of time on a forum you’ll see the laziness get old fast. Me personally, I think the humor is pretty decent on here, like the Jeffrey Dahmer comment up above. It is filled with youngsters but they know their shit for the most part. The kids are easy to identify they brag about 3 peddles or say I have a 6MT. It’s a novelty to them because it wasn’t common in their generation and they can avoid some of the transmission issues in the 3rd gens and they start with the taller gears

GSDLVR123 likes this.
  16. Jan 10, 2020 at 1:17 PM
    Riotfunk

Riotfunk Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Taco TRD off road
    If doing a lot of highway driving or towing I’d look elsewhere. Truck is fine in town poking around but on highway it’s fucking dreadful. The clunky constant shifting, awful pedal lag on/off throttle response. Feels like a sub compact screaming high rpms the whole time 3500rpm and above. Once or twice a month it’s 3 hours one way on the highway. By the end of it I just want to get t boned and have this thing totaled. The temp bandaid’s everyone praises doesn’t change the fact it still feels shitty to drive the majority of the time. The ride is great, like a lifted Cadillac. But the power and response feels like an old cvt. Still the best option for a mid sized truck, but I’d never buy another one

sakibomb, dozer63 and DavesTaco68 like this.
  17. Jan 10, 2020 at 1:25 PM
    ZR NO

ZR NO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD PRO - Super White
    So far just a bed mat and a lighter wallet
    I have about a 45 min commute to and from work with a lot of hills on the way back. I been extremely happy using the adaptive cruise control on the Frwy and auto high beams when I get closer to home

18. Jan 10, 2020 at 1:30 PM
    vecdran

vecdran Barely-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Pro Super White 6MT
    Financial Black Hole
    I went with a Pro vs the OR precisely because of the suspension. The OR was floaty and dived under braking, the Pro felt controlled and compliant. As I have no near-term suspension upgrade plans, the choice was easy for me.

19. Jan 10, 2020 at 2:04 PM
    kodams

kodams [OP] Member

Member:
    Thank you all for the helpful feedback and suggestions. All in all, no feelings hurt with the funny sarcastic comments. The Ridgeline one is a classic haha. I'm no hardcore offroader and the offroading for me is just to get to places for hiking/adventures/fishing. But this truck will be my daily driver as well which explains my initial post.

Personally, I would rule out the sport for many reasons some have noted in this thread (aside from appearances) and will explore the upgrade to the 6112/5160 as many have recommended and even mentioned as "best bang for buck." I also can't justify the over asking MSRP for a TRD Pro here where I live and the fact that I can only be put on a "waiting list" for one with no expected time frame to get one.

While I'm still not 100% sold I will trade in the ZR2, the transmission issue, compounded with from what I hear are the shock leak issues are further getting me to the tipping point. I do have a 2020 OR on hold at my local toyota dealer so maybe it's in fact just a matter of time.

20. Jan 10, 2020 at 2:08 PM
    TRDProOne

TRDProOne Well-Known Member

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Pro in Super White
    Wise move going with the OR. Be prepared to take a financial hit on your Colorado.

NAAC3TACO likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top