Notices

Under rail LED bed lights

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-14-2010, 11:00 PM   #1
Richie85 is on a distinguished road
Firefighter:
Richie85's Tacoma Gallery
Under rail LED bed lights

Hello everyone. Just bought a 2002 Tacoma DC with a hard Tonneau. I'm really itching to put in some under rail LEDs that will come on when the cover is lifted. Anyone done something similar? recommendations? Thanks for the help.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:19 AM   #2
Manlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
Manlaan's Tacoma Gallery
Something like http://www.oznium.com/smd-bar or any of the water proof ones http://www.oznium.com/flexible-led-strips should work. As far as the switch, something like http://www.oznium.com/pin-switch will work. Probably easiest to hook the switch up to the tailgate since you'll have a bit more play when its closed. There's even a few pics on their site of people that have done it. (look at the beefy led strip action shots for someones actual truck bed)

Pretty easy setup overall, and since the leds really dont use much power, I wouldn't even bother with a relay. Just run all the grounds to the back end of the switch and when its open, it'll complete the circuit and turn on the lights.

I'm not sure I'd put an automatic switch in my truck like that though. Although the leds really dont use that much power, I think an in cab switch would still be the better solution to best avoid a dead battery, although if you forget to turn it off (and dont run a lighted switch), that might still be a problem.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:34 AM   #3
Hawaiitaco is on a distinguished road

Hawaiitaco's Tacoma Gallery
I'm in the process of doing the same thing..and also doing ground lights... here are some of the threads im using as reference...

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ts-w-pics.html

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...tml#post297835

Suggestions for LEDs.:

http://www.vminnovations.com/product...it_White_.html

I actually bought: http://www.amazon.com/LEDGLOW-White-...535647&sr=1-27

They look great so far...im running them to a spdt rocker so that it will run either with the dimming domelight or on whenever i want..when i finish ill take some pics.... search around..there are some great posts and people that are very helpful...ie. borderbrat and pierced tiger
Old 09-15-2010, 08:22 PM   #4
Firefighter:
Thanks for the info. I wasn't even thinking about using the "rope" or "tape" LEDs, but I'm thinking that they might be the way to go now. anybody have any other opinions or options? thanks again guys.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:03 PM   #5
come on fhqwhgads
pittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pittim's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie85 View Post
Thanks for the info. I wasn't even thinking about using the "rope" or "tape" LEDs, but I'm thinking that they might be the way to go now. anybody have any other opinions or options? thanks again guys.
i'd do the rope led's with a rocker switch hidden up under the rails.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:36 PM   #6
Firefighter:
I'm thinking about doing the rocker switch switch the more I think about it. What's the best kind of rope or tape LED out there in your guys opinion? its a DC bed so I'd need about 10 feet
Old 09-16-2010, 09:21 PM   #7
come on fhqwhgads
pittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pittim's Tacoma Gallery
if you put 2 of the 20 in piranha bars on each side i think you'll have more than enough light. just have it so the gaps are even...so one from 7"-27" and 34"-54" back from the front.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:00 PM   #8
Firefighter:
Thanks for the info...you guys are great. Should I get the mounting kits that Piranha sells or is there a better way to mount them?
Old 03-09-2014, 10:49 AM   #9
grumeazy is on a distinguished road
Name: Ryan
grumeazy's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the idea and write up. Just did mine today.

Products Discussed in this Thread