Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

How to put springs on struts?

Old 03-23-2011, 09:49 PM   #1
x2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

x2468's Tacoma Gallery
How to put springs on struts?

so ive had these 881 springs and ome struts forever now because I havent had the time. But every time I start I hit the same first question: how do I install the springs on the struts? Ive tried googling it and searching the forum but havent found enough info. I know that some autozones sell the tool needed but harbor freight sells a better, safer one for 9 bucks. Even if I had the tool I wouldnt know what to do with it. Ive always worked on bikes and atvs. Cars not so much
Old 03-23-2011, 10:33 PM   #3
ds46000 is on a distinguished road
ds46000's Tacoma Gallery
9 dollars!! you kidding me? wow, i definitely wouldn't trust a $9 spring compressor, regardless of where it came from. And I have nothing against harbor freight...just wouldn't take the risk on something like this.

You can rent the spring compressor from autozone...just return it and you get your deposit back. It's actually called "strut compressor", not to be confused with a "coil spring compressor". The coil spring compressor will not work. The strut compressor works because it attaches to the outside of the spring.

I'd definitely read that thread that Digiratus just put up for you. Read it a few times. It's not hard to do...but can be dangerous if you don't know what you're doing.

There's even pictures in that thread (and other threads) of where people have the springs compressed, etc w/ the tools you'll need and everything. Should be pretty self explanatory.

Hope that helps.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:08 PM   #4
trdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

trdracing5's Tacoma Gallery
Dont even think about using the compressors like shown below on your coils. It will not work. I tried them. They don't open up wide enough.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:14 PM   #5
Taco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
Taco76087's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by x2468 View Post
so ive had these 881 springs and ome struts forever now because I havent had the time. But every time I start I hit the same first question: how do I install the springs on the struts? Ive tried googling it and searching the forum but havent found enough info. I know that some autozones sell the tool needed but harbor freight sells a better, safer one for 9 bucks. Even if I had the tool I wouldnt know what to do with it. Ive always worked on bikes and atvs. Cars not so much
You can rent the spring compressors for a deposit, way better than the harbor freight compressors, the set I had from Harbor Freight, bent and the hook broke, luckily, it was after I started taking it off because of the bending. Used the Compressors from the auto parts store, no problem.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:27 PM   #6
Project.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Project.paradigm's Tacoma Gallery
How about taking the struts and springs to a shop and get them to do it. This way you don't have to buy tools that you might hardly ever use. Just another option. People do it at my work all the time.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:16 PM   #7
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam I am, green eggs and ham
VirginiaBound's Tacoma Gallery
Advanced Auto has rentals for free. You pay 50 bucks and then you get a full return when you bring it back. I couldnt beleive it either, but the store manager was the one that rented them to me. I called about 8 of them and they all did it. I would give them a call before anywhere eles.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:53 AM   #8
x2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

x2468's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Project.paradigm View Post
How about taking the struts and springs to a shop and get them to do it. This way you don't have to buy tools that you might hardly ever use. Just another option. People do it at my work all the time.
I thought about that but they quoted me.at 45 bucks and im a cheap mofo

Is the tool from autozone the same as the SST in the pdf from digiratus' link
Old 03-25-2011, 11:04 AM   #9

x2468's Tacoma Gallery
and if not, does anyone have pics detailing how to use it? The autozone or advance auto rental tool that is
Old 03-25-2011, 11:13 AM   #11
Tennessee Member
Jeremy92 has a spectacular aura aboutJeremy92 has a spectacular aura about

Name: Jeremy
Jeremy92's Tacoma Gallery
The autozone one is a P.O.S. do not waste you time trying with it, take it to a shop and let them do it. this past weekend a couple of buddys from on here were trying to compress my eibach spring with an autozone compressor and we were bending the spring and the compressor. When those springs are compressed they are no joke if something slips and the spring shoots out, i dont want to know what would have happened if something would have sliped. Go somewhere and get a shop to do it for you.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:04 PM   #12
Modified Glamper Extraordinaire
Digiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Location: Exploring the Pacific NW including ID, MT, WYO & CO
Digiratus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy92 View Post
The autozone one is a P.O.S. do not waste you time trying with it, take it to a shop and let them do it. this past weekend a couple of buddys from on here were trying to compress my eibach spring with an autozone compressor and we were bending the spring and the compressor. When those springs are compressed they are no joke if something slips and the spring shoots out, i dont want to know what would have happened if something would have sliped. Go somewhere and get a shop to do it for you.
Yeah, compressing the coils will definitely tighten up your nutsack.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:09 PM   #13
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by trdracing5 View Post
Dont even think about using the compressors like shown below on your coils. It will not work. I tried them. They don't open up wide enough.
I'm surprised. I have a clamshell spring compressor that I've used for the coils on my Ford without issue, and those things really needed to be cranked down. What size was the compressor you used?

The only issue I could see is fitting the tool in between the coils on the Tacomas as the wind appears to be pretty tight. I'll know more after I swap out coils on my Fox setup whenever I get around to it.