Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Letting some air out in tire help with pot hole bounce?

Old 10-27-2011, 03:16 AM   #1
"I Brake for Tailgaters"
prerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
prerunnerSD's Tacoma Gallery
Letting some air out in tire help with pot hole bounce?

Heard somewhere letting a lil air out of tire will help with going over train tracks and certain bumps. Kind of gives it a protective bounce? Any credence to this claim?

Old 10-27-2011, 03:32 AM   #2
supremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of lightsupremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of lightsupremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of lightsupremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of lightsupremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of light
supremetaco2's Tacoma Gallery
Yes,,, less air = more tire comes in contact with the ground. therefore = slightly more forgiving ride.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:52 AM   #3
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by prerunnerSD View Post
Heard somewhere letting a lil air out of tire will help with going over train tracks and certain bumps. Kind of gives it a protective bounce? Any credence to this claim?

Helium filled tires would have prevented both those accidents.
People usualy only air down when off roading.
Old 10-27-2011, 04:10 AM   #4
Paint me back in Wyoming again...
45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

45acp's Tacoma Gallery
Just keep them aired up enough to ensure even tread wear. But yes, it helps with less air, it allows the tread and sidewalls to flex. That's part of the reason we air down while off-roading.
Old 10-27-2011, 04:22 AM   #5
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Is it just me or does it seem like most of the time when you see crazy pics like above there are Fords in them?

Freaky On Road Driving?

Forgetting Our Right Direction?

Fuck Off Regular Drivers?
Old 10-27-2011, 05:53 AM   #6
"I Brake for Tailgaters"
prerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by T@co_Pr3runn3r View Post
Is it just me or does it seem like most of the time when you see crazy pics like above there are Fords in them?

Freaky On Road Driving?

haha LOVES IT
Old 10-27-2011, 05:55 AM   #7
"I Brake for Tailgaters"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45acp View Post
Just keep them aired up enough to ensure even tread wear. But yes, it helps with less air, it allows the tread and sidewalls to flex. That's part of the reason we air down while off-roading.
Nice build... Trust me with how every road is nearly always 'under construction' Everywhere you drive in Massachusetts you might as well consider it off road. So I'll take that as YES. How much air should I let out?
Old 10-27-2011, 06:01 AM   #8
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Nice build... Trust me with how every road is nearly always 'under construction' Everywhere you drive in Massachusetts you might as well consider it off road. So I'll take that as YES. How much air should I let out?
For pavement driving, not much, it will prematurely wear your tires and hurt your MPG's. How much air depends on your tires, I wouldn't do anything drastic, maybe a couple lbs at most if you really feel the need. I'd imagine you should still be between 28 - 32 PSI for a double cab.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:03 AM   #9
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
For pavement driving, not much, it will prematurely wear your tires and hurt your MPG's. How much air depends on your tires, I wouldn't do anything drastic, maybe a couple lbs at most if you really feel the need. I'd imagine you should still be between 28 - 32 PSI for a double cab.
+1
Keep to door specs for best results, and get better glasses to spot the potholes
Old 10-27-2011, 06:05 AM   #10
"I Brake for Tailgaters"

i'll try it a lil just to see.. just seems like it rides rough and dont wanna hurt anything. i have a lift and destination A/T p265/75 r16 tires
Old 10-27-2011, 06:06 AM   #11
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
i'll try it a lil just to see.. just seems like it rides rough and dont wanna hurt anything. i have a lift and destination A/T p265/75 r16 tires
What pressure are you running in them now? P-rated tires shouldn't ride rough. It might not be your tires, what have you done to alter your suspension?
Old 10-27-2011, 06:15 AM   #12
"I Brake for Tailgaters"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
What pressure are you running in them now? P-rated tires shouldn't ride rough. It might not be your tires, what have you done to alter your suspension?
yes i have Front and rear Bilstein 5100's, Front Coilovers. Good suspension as far as I can tell.. maybe I'm just babying her... The roads here can be brutal as you know
Old 10-27-2011, 06:20 AM   #13

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
yes i have Front and rear Bilstein 5100's, Front Coilovers. Good suspension as far as I can tell.. maybe I'm just babying her... The roads here can be brutal as you know
I just wanted to make sure you weren't use a pre-load spacer which would cause it to ride like a dump truck! Sounds like you have a pretty decent set-up though. I'm assuming you're either from Western MA where a lot of roads have washed out or in Boston where the pot holes could swallow a small tank Personally, I've given up, I set my pressure where it should be, avoid the pot holes that I can and let the Billies absorb the unavoidable tank traps.

EDIT: Don't worry about it, in a month or so the snow will fill in all the pot holes and the roads will be perfect!
Old 10-27-2011, 09:43 AM   #14
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Chalk test your tires for best PSI
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/wheels-tires/51690-what-psi-should-i-run.html#post921497
Old 10-27-2011, 09:46 AM   #15
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by T@co_Pr3runn3r View Post

Freaky On Road Driving?

The first picture looks like a Chevy s-10 and the second is certainly a Jeep, probably Liberty.