1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

yet another billy 5100 ?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by briandischinger, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Feb 11, 2012 at 2:05 PM
    briandischinger

briandischinger [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    brian
    inland empire
    Vehicle:
    03 4x4 trd v6
    sorry if this is a question that has been answered a bunch already, but i serched around and couldn't find it.... i have an 03 4x4 trd ext cab 3.4... would it be ok to run the stock rear suspenion with new bilstien 5100's, or do i have to raise the rear for more clearance, it seems that the shock body is longer on the billy than the stock one... i have a one inch rear shackle,(not installed) but i would rather not use it because i just jacked the front up with the billies and it now sits at the stance i like (a little higher in the front) any suggestions?

2. Feb 11, 2012 at 2:44 PM
    Tacomadude89

Tacomadude89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Austen
    I would run the 5100's in the rear as well, you'll be glad you did. If I understand it correctly, you're planning on raising the back 1" and while the stock shocks will work, they will have even worse of a ride because they'll be near maxed out. Not too mention, they won't be able to flex as much either because of it.

I would pull the trigger and get the rear as well. Downsouth Motorsports has some nice deals and you can even use the forum discount on top of it.

3. Feb 11, 2012 at 4:08 PM
    briandischinger

briandischinger [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    brian
    inland empire
    Vehicle:
    03 4x4 trd v6
    yes, i have the 5100's all the way around thanks to DSM, but i dont really want to install the 1" shackles if i don't have to...I like the way it sits with the front a little higher, but it looks like the shocks might compress all the way before the stock bump stops have a chance to do their thing... I think the shock body on the 5100's are a little longer than the stock ones.. I guess my biggest concern is if i bottom out it will mess up nthe new 5100's...

4. Feb 11, 2012 at 4:11 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    you dont have to have the shackles if thats what you are asking.

5. Feb 11, 2012 at 7:57 PM
    Norton

Norton Senior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Access Cab 4x4 V6 6MT, TRD OR & Tow Packages
    Magnuson S/C w/12TRDTacoma's Qwikchange Hub & 2.5" RIP-Modded Pulley, Roostfactor's Pulley Wrap Mod; FPR Mod; JustDSM Tune via HPT MPVI2; mightytacoman Intercooler Tank; aFe POWER Magnum FLOW Pro DRY S Air Filter; OME Suspension Lift (885 Coils, Dakar Leafs, NitroCharger Sports); TRD Quickshifter w/TRD 6-Spd Knob; TRD Exhaust; NSB-AGM27F Battery w/HKB Adjustable Voltage Booster & Coupe's TRD Battery Hold Down; Goodridge SS Brake Lines; Trident904's MT ADM; BFG All-Terrain T/A KO2s on FJ SE Anthracite Rims; N-Fab 6-Step Nerf Bars; BPF TRD Skid, Tow Hook, & Cooling Panel; jsi's Locker Anytime, Up2NoGood's 2Lo Module; ramonortiz55's Always on Power Outlet Relay, ND4's Fog Light Anytime, & Crom's Speed Bleeder Mods; crashnburn80's Ultimate Headlight & Fog Light Upgrades; ThreatLevelMidnight's Wireless Charger; 4Runner 4X4 & FJ Fog Light Switches; redtaco2007-inspired LED License Plate Lights; AudioControl LC2i LOC, JL Audio XD200/2v2 Amp, Focal PS165V1 Spkrs, Sound Ordnance B-8PTD Sub, Hushmat & Noico Sound Insulation; loginfailed-inspired Speedhut Boost & AFR Gauges in a Lotek Pillar Pod; Ltd Auto-Dim/Compass/Temp/Backup Camera/Homelink mirror on ImMrYo's Mirror Lift Bracket; TacomaBeast Glove Box & Console Organizers; Husky Floor Liners; UltraGauge EM; mesojdm's Ultimate LED Dome & Map Lights & GASSHOLE; Redline Tuning QuickLIFT Elite; Mobtown Offroad Locking Bed Storage Doors; Toyota Bed Mat; Cali Raised Led Bed Stiffeners; Pop & Lock Power Tailgate Lock w/TacomaTruckParts Support Bracket; ARE Z-Series Cap, SolarGard Tint; BlendMounted & MirrorTapped Uniden R3; CravenSpeed Stubby Antenna; Amsoil Lubricants; Adam's Detailing Supplies
  6. Feb 11, 2012 at 8:11 PM
    Snowman

Snowman I have a problem for your solution…

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Somewhere in Canada
    Vehicle:
    Check out my build
    X2
    They are too long especially if your leafs are worn and sagging. 5125s if you have stock height and plan on staying that way. 5100s if you want to lift the rear now or in the future.

Products Discussed in

To Top