Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

How to clean the MAF?

Old 02-21-2012, 01:14 PM   #1
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
How to clean the MAF?

First: Yes, I searched... and all I could find are threads saying, "clean your MAF"

Second: I checked the Mods & Tutorials > Improve Gas Mileage and 1st gen how tos and DIYs

Okay.

So can someone point me to where the MAF is? A picture would be nice. And can someone (yes, it can be the same person ) explain, step by step, on how to properly clean it?

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-21-2012, 02:11 PM   #2
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
I no haz photos- but the MAF is usually just to the engine side of the intake filter....near where the filter box becomes a hose or tube.

They make "MAF Cleaner" in a can that is basically an plastic safe electronics wash...Sprays out and loosens up and blows away anything that might be on the sensor.

Sorry for the lack of pics...Work computer gives me fits.
Old 02-21-2012, 02:13 PM   #3
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
I no haz photos- but the MAF is usually just to the engine side of the intake filter....near where the filter box becomes a hose or tube.

They make "MAF Cleaner" in a can that is basically an plastic safe electronics wash...Sprays out and loosens up and blows away anything that might be on the sensor.

Sorry for the lack of pics...Work computer gives me fits.
No worries.

That's a good start. I can at least try to find it and look at it.

I saw in another thread that it should be orange (if perfectly clean).
Old 02-21-2012, 03:33 PM   #4
Robertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
Robertgeejr1's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/mainte...ancep5.htm#maf

hope this helps i just did mine. first time i get to really help someone on here.
also clean the IAC valve.
I had a 2001 mustang gt, and I had to clean it all the time. the 4.6 it a bast... to keep running smooth.

and seafoam!
Old 02-21-2012, 04:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertgeejr1 View Post
http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/mainte...ancep5.htm#maf

hope this helps i just did mine. first time i get to really help someone on here.
also clean the IAC valve.
I had a 2001 mustang gt, and I had to clean it all the time. the 4.6 it a bast... to keep running smooth.

and seafoam!
sweetness.

thanks for the link
Old 02-21-2012, 04:34 PM   #6
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/2003/Repa.../mafm/remo.pdf
Old 02-21-2012, 04:44 PM   #7
Robertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

and one other thing, DO NOT AND I REPEAT, DO NOT AND WILL REPEAT AGAIN, USE ANY OTHER CLEANER EXCEPT FOR MASS AIR SENSOR.
YOU WILL BE BUYING A NEW ONE.
I had to do this one a year on the stang, because the first mod i did was a K&N filter, (waste of money, and pain in the ass) and any little bit of red oil would build up on the sensor. and their goes the idle!
Old 02-21-2012, 07:58 PM   #9
Boerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: (South Africa) Mechanized Infantry. 1 SAI Btn
Name: Ferdie
Boerseun's Tacoma Gallery
Right after your air filter box (circled in yellow below)

This is what it looks like. Spray with MAF cleaner, don't touch it.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norton View Post
Here's another link to MAF cleaining instructions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boerseun View Post
Right after your air filter box (circled in yellow below)

This is what it looks like. Spray with MAF cleaner, don't touch it.
Thanks so much guys, very helpful.

In that bottom picture, is the MAF those two wires on the bottom below that shaft?
Old 02-21-2012, 08:41 PM   #11
New vehicle/Tacoma *****
theGastone is on a distinguished road

Name: Ian
theGastone's Tacoma Gallery
I have a feeling that this was never done by either of the previous owners of my truck. I will definitely be taking a peek at mine tomorrow.

Also I'd seen "Check your MAF" In a bunch of threads and also wondered what it was.

So Madjick_Man thank you for asking the question and thank you to all that responded. You are all teaching me well whether you know it or not!!
Old 02-21-2012, 08:47 PM   #12
Boerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: (South Africa) Mechanized Infantry. 1 SAI Btn
Name: Ferdie
Boerseun's Tacoma Gallery
I cleaned mine for the first time at 88,000 miles, and it was not really dirty. I had a paper towel under it to catch the drippings from the cleaner, and it did not even stain the towel.

Some guys say that theirs are really bad when they clean it. I have heard that k&n wet type air filters can cause oil buildup on the sensor, but I don't know for sure if that's true.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:50 PM   #13
Adam Baum is on a distinguished road

Air Force:
Adam Baum's Tacoma Gallery
Just an overview that I found last night...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQGSkWEC_u4
Old 02-21-2012, 09:10 PM   #14
Norton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 17D4B w/ assignments in AFCC, AFSC, AFMC, AFSPC, AFRC, USAWC, NORAD-USNORTHCOM, USAFA
Name: Steve
Norton's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I cleaned mine for the first time at 88,000 miles, and it was not really dirty. I had a paper towel under it to catch the drippings from the cleaner, and it did not even stain the towel.
I cleaned mine around 60K miles. Like you, I didn't note anything obvious as having been cleaned. Moreover, I didn't not any difference in mileage or performance.
Quote:
Some guys say that theirs are really bad when they clean it. I have heard that k&n wet type air filters can cause oil buildup on the sensor, but I don't know for sure if that's true.
I run a "wet" Injen filter, and found zero evidence of oil buildup. I suspect this can happen if you over-oil the filter. Assuming you apply the oil as instructed, I doubt there's a problem. (There wasn't in my case anyway.)
Old 02-21-2012, 09:11 PM   #15

and while you are in there, its a good time to clean the throttle body, (use the guest toothbrush) and the IAC valve. the engineer who thought up that part should be shot, I dont care what its supposed to do.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:19 PM   #16
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
You should take the TB off to clean it. The IAC will get fucked if you don't. I just did all this. Follow the manual, get the gaskets. Pix in my gallery.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:32 PM   #17

you are right I should have been more clear, and if you have time I would first do a good seafoam treatment, blow the smoke all out and after its cools off, I would do it all step by step.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:51 AM   #18
bpkrules has much to be proud ofbpkrules has much to be proud ofbpkrules has much to be proud ofbpkrules has much to be proud ofbpkrules has much to be proud ofbpkrules has much to be proud ofbpkrules has much to be proud ofbpkrules has much to be proud ofbpkrules has much to be proud ofbpkrules has much to be proud of
Name: Jon
bpkrules's Tacoma Gallery
sub
Old 02-22-2012, 08:52 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertgeejr1 View Post
and while you are in there, its a good time to clean the throttle body, (use the guest toothbrush) and the IAC valve. the engineer who thought up that part should be shot, I dont care what its supposed to do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post
You should take the TB off to clean it. The IAC will get fucked if you don't. I just did all this. Follow the manual, get the gaskets. Pix in my gallery.
If it is at all possible to post pics and simple walkthrough (like post #9) I would really appreciate it.

Thanks.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:13 AM   #20
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post
If it is at all possible to post pics and simple walkthrough (like post #9) I would really appreciate it.

Thanks.
I took pics with the intent of doing a writeup, but just haven't had time yet (I've found that it take a lot of time to do one decently). There are other TB cleaning links, but they dont' go into much detail and dont' show the IAC part of it. I was most interested in the IAC issue, which becomes completely clear once you see how the air flows when the butterfly is closed. I've posted some key pics in my gallery.

It is pretty simple: remove everything from the airbox to the TB. Four bolts hold the TB on. Disconnect the #3 coil pack connection for clearance to remove. Put the TB on the bench, remove the IAC housing (DO NOT remove the IAC valve form the housing): four phillips head screws hold this to the bottom of the TB.
Douche the TB with TB cleaner and a toothbrush, and use Q-tips on the airways underneath to and from the IAC. For the IAC, use a Q-tip with TB cleaner on it to gently clean soot and grime from the airways and around the mouth of the inlet to the actual IAC valve. DO NOT get cleaner in the IAC valve.

You'll need new IAC (rubber) and TB (aluminum crush) gaskets. They are not reusable, and you really dont' want to risk leaks with coolant or fine abrasives in these areas.

The four TB bolts are 13 lb torque. Do them in a cross pattern.

I'll post up a few more pictures to my gallery when I get home tonight.