Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Rear Brake Proportioning Valve Relocate Kit

Old 03-20-2012, 02:35 PM   #1
TacoBlitz is on a distinguished road
Name: Jake
TacoBlitz's Tacoma Gallery
Rear Brake Proportioning Valve Relocate Kit

Is getting one necessary? I have about a 3 inch lift but I do kind of notice my rear brakes not doing much anymore... maybe it would help.

Any comments would be great. thanks
Old 03-20-2012, 02:39 PM   #2
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Yes, you absolutely need one, especially with 3 inches. You need one with any lift. You are tricking your brake system into thinking the truck is a lot lighter than it is, and it will proportion more power to the front brakes, which, besides being generally not good for handling and safety, will wear out the fronts more quickly.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:43 PM   #3
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

scocar's Tacoma Gallery
If you have very basic fabrication skills and common hand tools, you can easily make one yourself. Just measure a 3-inch difference and drill another pair of holes.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:13 PM   #5
Norton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 17D4B w/ assignments in AFCC, AFSC, AFMC, AFSPC, AFRC, USAWC, NORAD-USNORTHCOM, USAFA
Name: Steve
Norton's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post
Yes, you absolutely need one, especially with 3 inches. You need one with any lift. You are tricking your brake system into thinking the truck is a lot lighter than it is, and it wil proportion more power to the front brakes, which besides begin generally not good for handling and safety, will wear out the fronts more quickly.

If you have very basic fabrication skills and common hand tools, you can easily make one yourself. Just measure a 3-inch difference and drill another pair of holes.
x2. ^^
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSPerformance View Post
check out BAMF in the vendor section. it's very simple and cheap to do.
This is, however, easier, and you will not find a better-made BPV relocation bracket. Jerry does QUALITY work! Check out http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/bay...e-bracket.html for details. Highly recommended.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:36 PM   #6
Your Unique, Just Like Everyone Else
TacoBran is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBran is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBran is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBran is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBran is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBran is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBran is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBran is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBran is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBran is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBran is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brandon
TacoBran's Tacoma Gallery
As soon as you add one you will quickly realize the difference! I drove around for about a week or so before I fabbed one up as soon as it was on I could feel a night and day difference!
Old 03-21-2012, 06:03 AM   #7
thanks for all the info. I can't believe that I didn't need one before, I have been driving around like this for over a year now lol.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:54 AM   #8
Bash Fabriction & Off-Road
01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
01Tac0ma's Tacoma Gallery
^ I drove mine without one for a long time as well and i finally made one a few months back and could tell a huge difference! Worth the money and or time to buy/make one
Old 03-26-2012, 10:18 PM   #9
Has anyone ever tried the one that wheelers sells? And if so.. is it any good?
Old 03-27-2012, 03:53 PM   #10
01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Just make on out of some flat stock or something, i used a piece of 3/16 angle iron and just cut one flat side off then measured for my amount of lift, took me all of 20 minutes and is very simple
Old 03-27-2012, 07:05 PM   #11
I have a problem for your solution…
Snowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
Snowman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Tac0ma View Post
Just make on out of some flat stock or something, i used a piece of 3/16 angle iron and just cut one flat side off then measured for my amount of lift, took me all of 20 minutes and is very simple
X2
For the longest time I used a piece of scrap metal off an old GMC running board and it worked perfect.
I have a BAMF bracket now and its great quality...but I personally wouldnt buy one. I got mine for free from a member on here.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:37 PM   #12
Old School
degraaf is on a distinguished road

degraaf's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoBlitz View Post
Has anyone ever tried the one that wheelers sells? And if so.. is it any good?
I have one and it works good. Probably not near what the BAMF one is, but the Wheelers one works too.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:13 AM   #13

scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Guys, it is a piece of metal with holes drilled in it that is not under any appreciable stress. It only needs to stand up the the pressure from the valve it actuates, which is negligible. As far as intended critical function, one bracket does not work better than the other. If you mess around with your lift height somewhat often, Jerry's BAMF option offers some very nice rapid adjustability and fine tuning when changing height.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:50 PM   #14
hossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud of
hossmaster's Tacoma Gallery
no need to spend money on one, i am using a piece of metal that used to be a drawer guide from a computer desk. Just cut to fit and then drill the holes to compensate.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:01 PM   #15
Norton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 17D4B w/ assignments in AFCC, AFSC, AFMC, AFSPC, AFRC, USAWC, NORAD-USNORTHCOM, USAFA
Name: Steve
Norton's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post
Guys, it is a piece of metal with holes drilled in it that is not under any appreciable stress. It only needs to stand up the the pressure from the valve it actuates, which is negligible. As far as intended critical function, one bracket does not work better than the other. If you mess around with your lift height somewhat often, Jerry's BAMF option offers some very nice rapid adjustability and fine tuning when changing height.
All true. I can't help but love the build quality and rapid adjustability of Jerry's though...
Old 03-29-2012, 05:50 PM   #16

You can drill just as many holes in it for rapid adjustment as well...his is nice but way overkill imo allthough im sure id highly recommend it but for what it is and it being something that doesnt really see any abuse it should be fine as long as its not made from a mountain dew can
Old 04-03-2012, 10:00 AM   #17
..Slingin' up mud and we're scarying off bunnies..
186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Charles
186000mps's Tacoma Gallery
I just fab'd one up today out of some scrap 1x1 aluminum angle I had laying around. I did some measurements of the existing hardware first. There are (2) M8 x 1.25 bolts 23MM apart holding the original bracket to the axle housing bracket. I gave mine a 2.25" rise for the OME Dakar leaf pack. Time from raw material to install on truck less than 1 hour.

Quick Cad drawing:

Raw material:

I cut to length and laid out my holes:

Drill press set-up:

All holes made, the original used 9MM holes, but I went with a .375 bit as that's what I had:

Final product after some trimming:

Install on truck:

I had to space the bracket off the axle housing bracket to avoid the brake line and other hardware (this is probably why one of the vendor brackets is offset a bit) and used new longer bolts:
Old 06-12-2012, 10:26 PM   #18
Very nice write up. I can tell that you probably do fab work that is way more complicated on a daily basis most likely.