1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Catalytic Converter expertise appreciated

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by raw5785, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Mar 21, 2012 at 7:41 PM
    raw5785

raw5785 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hello All,

This is my first time posting and joining and this forum looks like an awesome resource. First of all, I have a 2002 Ext Cab Tacoma 4wd, with the 2.7L, 5spd and I love it. It's awesome. So here is my question.

Unfortunately, my catalytic converter is bad. I believe my truck has 2 catalytic converters one right after the headers and one further down the line. The one that is bad, judging from the codes and the what the guys at the shop, is the latter one. I don't want to straight pipe it, or punch through the plates in the existing catalytic converter. I may be selling it in 2.5 - 3.5 years to move abroad (hopefully will end up having a Hilux!) and would like it to be in legal working order. The rear catalytic converter from the Toyota dealer is $1100 for just the part, that is ridiculous. I have looked at after market ones on the internet that are anywhere from $80-$330.

I don't really feel like paying $1100 bucks for the part when one is available for much less that will most likely increase my fuel economy. My worry is that the P420 code (I think that is the one) will not like a higher flow catalytic converter and the check engine light will still be on even after I replace it with an after market catalytic converter. What after market catalytic converters have any of you put on your truck? Was the check engine light still on after, did it pass emissions (I live in NM where we don't have to pass emissions though). How long should I expect this to take? I will be purchasing one that doesn't require any welding. I haven't replaced a cat on any of my cars in about 10 years, but I don't remember it being to difficult. Just lots of tinkering to get it to fit in place properly. Any suggestions, past experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys

Sorry for the essay

2. Mar 21, 2012 at 8:16 PM
    uberjason

uberjason Member

Member:
    Woodbury, MN
    Vehicle:
    '04 SR5 4x4
    Not saying this will work for you, but I have a friend that did this on an S-10 that had a bad cat.

Video

3. Mar 21, 2012 at 9:12 PM
    shampoop

shampoop Well-Known Member

Member:
    southwest WA
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma extracab v6 auto trd offroad 4x4
    Have you ever replaced the upstream O2 sensor?

4. Mar 21, 2012 at 9:46 PM
    hulkit

hulkit Well-Known Member

Member:
    sacramento ca
    Vehicle:
    2000 tacoma 2.4l automatic
    that actually dosnt sound like a bad idea im getting the p0420 code on my truck and ill probably be dealing with it in june when i have to smog the truck but i just use my ultraguage to reset the code when it pops up

5. Mar 21, 2012 at 9:50 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    It should be a quick and easy install. They get stolen all the time because they are so quick to unbolt.

Can't help with the fault code. I put an aftermarket one on my 1986 Toyota truck and it passed smog no problems, but no check engine codes for the cat on that truck. It should be fine though, my sister had an aftermarket one put in her CRV, no check engine light since then.

6. Mar 21, 2012 at 9:56 PM
    raw5785

raw5785 [OP] New Member

Member:
    The both sensor's were replaced about 30,000 miles ago. I'm pretty sure its not them. The cat has about 150k on it. I might try cleaning it it first, sounds like the easiest solution. Has anybody taken there old cat of and cleaned it, used seafoam, or other catalytic converter treatments that worked well?

7. Mar 21, 2012 at 10:40 PM
    SCSPerformance

SCSPerformance Stealth Custom Series™ Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Vin
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma
    Camburg LT kit DMZ SUA kit SCS wheels Destroyer Gray
    checkout magnaflow. they make a direct bolt on cat pipe. i just had mind stolen last week, chopped right off.

8. Mar 22, 2012 at 6:59 AM
    Robertgeejr1

Robertgeejr1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Aorora, Ill, yeah!
    Vehicle:
    1996 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
    I have done all the hi-pro mods for a life time, since I got this truck at a great price, I will be happy with showroom new.
    checkout magnaflow. they make a direct bolt on cat pipe. i just had mind stolen last week, chopped right off.

I would take his advise first. And its not too difficult of a job, but it will take longer than 5 minutes, BUT NOT 1,100 FOR THE PART. WAS THAT A TYPO?
    IF NOT A LIPJOB BETTER COME WITH THAT!

I did the magnaflow high flow exhaust from header back in 2005, on my mustng gt, and had their word that the high flow cats would work and not throw a code, and I never had a problem. believe me a asshole at my first emission test afterwards dropped his fat ass on the ground looking, and under my dash, hunting for bypass sensors! but I passed.
    And for cleaning a cat. I just don't know if and how that would work.

9. Mar 22, 2012 at 1:14 PM
    Tacomanater

Tacomanater Well-Known Member

Member:
    Washington County, NY (VT Border)
    Vehicle:
    '02 SR5, 4WD, V6, 5Spd
    JBA headers & exhaust, new cats, K&N CAI, new shocks, 2.5" lift, Prodigy P2, Timbren, snobord552 light bar (v.2), KC off-roads and Hella fog lights, Teflon A/R ATX 16" Ledge, Nitto Terra Grappler, (265/75R16's), ultragauge, curt roof rack on thule set-up.
    I had to replace my cats this past winter and I was not going to spend $2K+ for OEM parts, pewriod, end of story, I don't care if they have cadmium, etc., inside (BTW: the used cat is worth a couple of bucks (maybe a couple hundred) to a scrapper, due to the metals inside.) Anywho, I bought two aftermarket cats...installed, new sensor right afterwards and everything is fine. Originally, when the check engine light went on, I had the cosed checked and it said cats. BUT, the gaskets had rotted and that might have tripped the lights/code. I got an additional 1 year b4 the check engine light came on again, and this time it was the cats. Since only one downstream sensor, couldn't tell which one was bad. So, I replaced both and then put in a new O2 sensor, no lights, no runs, no drips, no errors.........the truck runs light a champ. F*ck OEM parts at those prices.

10. Mar 26, 2012 at 8:00 AM
    raw5785

raw5785 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Thanks guys for all your help. I ended up ordering the magna flow cat, and will put it on a Thursday. The one on the truck is definitely shot.

11. Mar 27, 2012 at 9:58 PM
    ColombianTaco97

ColombianTaco97 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JD
    Long Island, NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 AC 2.7L
    Suspension: Billys 5100 Front & Rear Front: Set at '85 Rear: Wheelers AAL 1.5' Wheels + Tires: Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro Wheels 17' BFG All Terrain KO2's 265/70/17 Armor: Bulletproof Fab: TRD Stamped Skid Plate Special Mods: Headlights Retrofit (Insight Retrofits) LED Interior Lighting Conversion TacomaWorld Sticker By TCBob(10hp gain) TacoDane LED Bed Kit Marimoto XB LED Fog Lights TRD Battery Holder TRD 5 Speed Shift Knob HomerTaco TRD Satoshi Grill ARE Bed Cap Audio: Alpine ILX-107 - Media Receiver Plasti Dip: Rear Bumper Emblems Bed Cap
    hey guys im having a different issue here.. my cat has rotten and air is escaping from it.. based on your comments toyotas dont like aftermarket cats because it trows the ecl.. i am not willing to pay either big bucks for that cat shit! i found out a website that sells genuine oem toyota parts cheap!.. what ya guys think?

https://parts.olathetoyota.com/index.html

Products Discussed in

To Top