Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

OoOooo Look what I found =(

Old 05-27-2012, 03:57 PM   #1
Bamahoyt is on a distinguished road

Name: Ted
Bamahoyt's Tacoma Gallery
OoOooo Look what I found =(

Well I have this strange jingle in my front pass. side when I hit bumps so I decided to pull things off and take a look. I have owned the truck about a month now and its been there the whole time. Well I took the tire off and found that my retainer for my brake pads had broken and then upon a deeper inspection I noticed that I CV boot was blown. I then decided to take a look at the other CV boot and it was a mess. Looks like I will be adding CV boots to my "To Do" list for my truck. I saw that there was a CV slide Mod sticky so I will check that out. Are inner boots pretty simple to replace? and also is that retainer thing necessary because I am headed to town tomorrow and get some parts cleaners so I could find one while I am there
Attached Thumbnails
OoOooo Look what I found =(-img_0473.jpg   OoOooo Look what I found =(-img_0471.jpg   OoOooo Look what I found =(-img_0474.jpg  
Old 05-27-2012, 03:59 PM   #2
Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)
babytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

babytruck's Tacoma Gallery
Not sure how it is with our trucks (your truck) but when I tore a CV boot on my FWD car, I was told it was cheaper labor wise to just replace the half axle. So that being said, I'm guessing it's a lot of work.
Old 05-27-2012, 09:25 PM   #3

Alrighty. Well hopefully someone will chime in on that. Thanks
Old 05-27-2012, 09:50 PM   #4
Cypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 2A773 Retired
Cypherian's Tacoma Gallery
I can't add much but rock auto has them for about 50 bucks, since they have been like that for a while I would do the replacement. I have had it done on other cars if it was torn for a long time or just change the boot if it was just a small hole. That being said you have to do the same amount of work to change the boot or replace the whole cv might consider that in your equation.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/rafr...534650-1830392

Cypher
Old 05-28-2012, 08:12 AM   #5

Great. That might be a fun $100 Half axle's replacement and a weekend project. thanks
Old 05-28-2012, 08:34 AM   #6
aw113sgte is a splendid one to beholdaw113sgte is a splendid one to beholdaw113sgte is a splendid one to beholdaw113sgte is a splendid one to beholdaw113sgte is a splendid one to beholdaw113sgte is a splendid one to beholdaw113sgte is a splendid one to behold
aw113sgte's Tacoma Gallery
Aftermarket ones are never as good as OEM. There is a reason they are cheaper. They are not built to the same tolerance, nor is the surface hardening as good.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:50 AM   #7
04trd is a name known to all04trd is a name known to all04trd is a name known to all04trd is a name known to all04trd is a name known to all04trd is a name known to all

Name: Matt
04trd's Tacoma Gallery
ive done mine a few times i have a 2004 taco and they are actually pretty easy. like the guy above me said aftermarket ones are never as good but hell toyota will charge you 800 bucks for a set! no thank you! i got the autozone ones for 100 bucks and a life time gaurentee your all set! and yes its easier to change the whole half shaft than just doing a boot
Old 05-28-2012, 05:14 PM   #8
.<>./
capetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

capetaco12's Tacoma Gallery
Yea remanned shaft from autozone. is like $50 after a 100 core charge. May as well just change the whole shaft may be worn from lack of lube. Plus is plug and play will take half the time.
Old 05-28-2012, 05:17 PM   #9
Country101 is a name known to allCountry101 is a name known to allCountry101 is a name known to allCountry101 is a name known to allCountry101 is a name known to allCountry101 is a name known to all
Country101's Tacoma Gallery
If you replace it do a write up. I havent seen one yet and would be interested to see what it takes and what I might need to avoid doing(at your expense. )
Old 05-28-2012, 05:21 PM   #10
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
I'd replace it.

No telling how long they've been torn, they're dry and dirty. That's a LOT of wear. You can go through all of the work of replacing the boots and in 3 months realize that you're getting a klunk/click/bind when turning.
Old 05-28-2012, 06:40 PM   #11
04trd is a name known to all04trd is a name known to all04trd is a name known to all04trd is a name known to all04trd is a name known to all04trd is a name known to all

Name: Matt
04trd's Tacoma Gallery
i dont know about your truck buy on my 1st gen all you do is take the wheel off (oviously) than take the nut that holds your half shaft to the nuckle, pop the lower control bolt off than take a crow bar and pop the half shaft off! pretty easy nothing too crazy. Grant it thats a super basic explanation its a little more involved than that
Old 05-28-2012, 06:47 PM   #12
greenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shed
greenrustic's Tacoma Gallery
Like everyone had said it you should just replace the half shaft. It doesn't take long for some grit to get in there and wear the cv's out.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:46 PM   #14
Stealth Custom Series™
SCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Vin
SCSPerformance's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04trd View Post
ive done mine a few times i have a 2004 taco and they are actually pretty easy. like the guy above me said aftermarket ones are never as good but hell toyota will charge you 800 bucks for a set! no thank you! i got the autozone ones for 100 bucks and a life time gaurentee your all set! and yes its easier to change the whole half shaft than just doing a boot
Quote:
Originally Posted by capetaco12 View Post
Yea remanned shaft from autozone. is like $50 after a 100 core charge. May as well just change the whole shaft may be worn from lack of lube. Plus is plug and play will take half the time.
great advice. you can't beat autozone's warranty. i've used their reman. half shafts on cars before and they've always held up fine.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:54 PM   #15

Just got my axles in from NAPA and they were $60 each but I only got one because they only had one in the houston area but I was told that the passenger side and driver side are the same. Just checking to make sure that it is true becuase the part numbers are the same for both sides also.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:52 PM   #16
Newbie123 is on a distinguished road
Newbie123's Tacoma Gallery
Without question replace it. The tolerances are now larger than what they should be and you'll have too much play within the joint therefore tearing another boot and causing more wear than necessary. CV boots should only be replaced when they are caught tearing early enough, before water, dirt, and all the grease evacuates the joint.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:32 PM   #17
Modified Glamper Extraordinaire
Digiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Location: Exploring the Pacific NW including ID, MT, WYO & CO
Digiratus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamahoyt View Post
Just got my axles in from NAPA and they were $60 each but I only got one because they only had one in the houston area but I was told that the passenger side and driver side are the same. Just checking to make sure that it is true becuase the part numbers are the same for both sides also.
Yes, both sides are the same for ADD trucks. It is a different axle if you have manual hubs but even with those, both sides are the same.
Old 06-23-2012, 03:33 PM   #18

well, its done and it took me about 2.5 hours to do by myself. Easy job and somewhat fun. Cheap at $140 total including taxes and extra gear oil.
Attached Thumbnails
OoOooo Look what I found =(-img_0537.jpg   OoOooo Look what I found =(-img_0543.jpg   OoOooo Look what I found =(-img_0539.jpg   OoOooo Look what I found =(-img_0548.jpg   OoOooo Look what I found =(-img_0550.jpg  

Old 06-25-2012, 07:53 AM   #19
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam I am, green eggs and ham
VirginiaBound's Tacoma Gallery
Take that damned sway bar off while you're at it!
Old 06-26-2012, 05:01 PM   #20

I don't wheel real hard so I think I will keep her posted up where it is but maybe in the future I will take it off.