Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Clutch problems

Old 08-05-2012, 11:21 AM   #1
yamahahauler is one of the sharper tools in the shedyamahahauler is one of the sharper tools in the shedyamahahauler is one of the sharper tools in the shedyamahahauler is one of the sharper tools in the shedyamahahauler is one of the sharper tools in the shedyamahahauler is one of the sharper tools in the shedyamahahauler is one of the sharper tools in the shedyamahahauler is one of the sharper tools in the shedyamahahauler is one of the sharper tools in the shedyamahahauler is one of the sharper tools in the shedyamahahauler is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: tyler
yamahahauler's Tacoma Gallery
Clutch problems

I have been reading threads about the clutch not returning all the way. I have some of the same symptoms but I'm still confused about what's wrong. Sometimes my clutch pedal will stick to the floor but other times it just doesn't return all the way. Sometimes when I break hard my clutch just goes to the floor with out me pushing on it. I've heard that it could be the bushings in the clutch and could be the master cylinder but I'm not sure. Help I love my taco
Old 08-06-2012, 06:47 AM   #2
Hillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant future

Hillingdoner's Tacoma Gallery
See if I can be a bit of help to you.

First thing to do is inspect the system. Get up under the dash with a good light. While there you can check a few things. The bushes you mention are pretty easy to spot and also see if there is a problem. Follow the clutch pedal up from the foot pad to the point where you see it pivots. You should see a spring there that attaches to one side of the clutch pedal bracket, extends into a slot on the clutch pedal and then over to the other side of the bracket.

First off, the spring should be one piece and not broken in two. There should also be a plastic bushing on each end of the spring where it goes through the bracket and also one where the centre of the spring contacts the clutch pedal. Often these bushings are broken and missing. The centre one on the pedal, if missing and left that way, will cause the spring to wear and also you can have a groove worn into the pedal metal itself.

Here is a link that shows you where are we are talking about. http://www.lieblweb.com/clutchbushing.html

If you need to repair the bushings then I can recommend the bronze bushing replacement repair. I did this and works a treat, just like new factory.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...ml#post2173416
On this post I have part numbers and info on how I did it.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...problem-2.html

While you are under there you can check out the back of your clutch master cylinder. The master cylinder rod/arm attaches to your pedal arm and if you follow it back toward the bulkhead you will see a rubber boot there. Peal this back to see if you see/feel any wetness from the fluid leaking out of the back of the master cylinder. If wet then you know the master cylinder is having a problem and needs repair. If dry it still does not rule it out, but being wet there is a certain indicator.

Have you noticed the fluid level going down in the master cylinder?

Next I'd check the fluid level in the master cylinder. I'd also check for leaks at the metal line going in. Is the nut holding the line tight? Don't strip it out.

Now follow the line down both visually and with your hand carefully. Feel and look for any leaks, pinched lines or damage. Pay particular attention to where the hard line connects to the clutch hose and the clutch hose. On the hose see if you can find cracked, blistered, swollen or leaking spots. On my system, while redoing the clutch, the hose looked good, but when I ran my hand over it I found it was blistered apart in an area I could not see. You'll have to do this step from above and also climb under the truck (be careful and use supports if you have to jack it up) to follow it down. Eventually you will reach the slave cylinder on the side of the transmission. Look for leaks and issue here. Pull back the rubber boot and see if it is wet under the boot. If leaking, just like the master, then it needs repair.

If nothing obvious thus far then I'd try bleeding the system next. When I redid my system (new clutch, clutch master, hose and slave cylinder) I had quite a bit of air in the system even though I tried to prime components. Pedal would go to the floor and not spring back up.

If you don't already have, you can get the fsm here to help you.
http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/index.html

Hopefully that will get you started. I'm sure I've probably forgotten something, but at least gave it a shot with my 2 hours of sleep lol.

Post and let everyone know what you come up with or find. I'm sure with the great people on this board can get you fixed.

cheers
Old 08-06-2012, 08:57 AM   #3
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Great post as always Hillingdoner.

Assuming the OP has a V6 with the torsion spring, he can always do the linear spring swap. Great cheap mod that eliminates the ridiculousness of the torsion spring and the accompanying squeak.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:03 AM   #4
Hillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant future

Thanks. Means a lot coming from you. Some day I hope to be "one of the sharper tools in the shed" although most days I don't know if I could even find the shed lol.

Hopefully the OP will post back. Would be nice to get it sorted for him.
Old 08-06-2012, 05:28 PM   #5
yamahahauler is one of the sharper tools in the shedyamahahauler is one of the sharper tools in the shedyamahahauler is one of the sharper tools in the shedyamahahauler is one of the sharper tools in the shedyamahahauler is one of the sharper tools in the shedyamahahauler is one of the sharper tools in the shedyamahahauler is one of the sharper tools in the shedyamahahauler is one of the sharper tools in the shedyamahahauler is one of the sharper tools in the shedyamahahauler is one of the sharper tools in the shedyamahahauler is one of the sharper tools in the shed
took the clutch pedal out and found that it is the spring bushing im working on making a brass bushing right now to solve the problem for good thanks for the reply guys!
Old 08-06-2012, 05:33 PM   #6
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahahauler View Post
took the clutch pedal out and found that it is the spring bushing im working on making a brass bushing right now to solve the problem for good thanks for the reply guys!
Hopefully this helps: http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=171197

There's also the linear spring swap. I did it and it works great.

Good luck
Old 08-06-2012, 06:49 PM   #7
Laissez les bons temps rouler
tacoma04 is on a distinguished road

Name: Bruce
tacoma04's Tacoma Gallery
^^^^ I second that! Did the linear swap and it works like a charm. Now I don't have to worry about a stupid bushing wearing out again. That noise drove me crazy.
Old 08-07-2012, 04:00 AM   #8

Glad you were able to find the problem.

As I mentioned, some have had good luck with the spring swap. I just felt more comfortable with the bushing replacement so that everything was as per factory. Been running it a good while now and no wear at all. Have seen where others have been using the same for even longer than I have. Nice to not have to worry about those cheesy plastic bushings!

Cheers
Old 08-10-2012, 06:14 PM   #9
I'm interested in the linear spring swap is there a write up about it or pictures?
Old 08-10-2012, 06:18 PM   #10
Truck yeah!
Wild Card will become famous soon enough

EMS: Army Vet, now an EMT/Firefighter
Name: Doug
Wild Card's Tacoma Gallery
Well, it's rather easy....let me see if I can find the write-up.....

The search function is your friend!! Here it is....
Old 08-16-2012, 01:12 PM   #11
Thanks for the help my spring bushings were bad so I went to a linear spring and it helped out a lot until my master went out a couple days later I just got done putting the new one in and she works like a charm now
Old 08-16-2012, 01:17 PM   #12
Laissez les bons temps rouler
tacoma04 is on a distinguished road

Name: Bruce
tacoma04's Tacoma Gallery
Glad you got it fixed up