1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Clutch problems

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by yamahahauler, Aug 5, 2012.

1. Aug 5, 2012 at 11:21 AM
    yamahahauler

yamahahauler [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    tyler
    Culver
    Vehicle:
    98 white
    bilsteins all around with emu springs.
    I have been reading threads about the clutch not returning all the way. I have some of the same symptoms but I'm still confused about what's wrong. Sometimes my clutch pedal will stick to the floor but other times it just doesn't return all the way. Sometimes when I break hard my clutch just goes to the floor with out me pushing on it. I've heard that it could be the bushings in the clutch and could be the master cylinder but I'm not sure. Help I love my taco:)

2. Aug 6, 2012 at 6:47 AM
    Hillingdoner

Hillingdoner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rio Rancho, NM
    Vehicle:
    95 LX xtracab 3.4L 4x4 5spd
    140 amp Cadillac alternator, Audio system in progress, 4Runner map light mirror conversion, foot well lamp addition, buckets and console from 99 Tacoma regular cab, big three, tint
    See if I can be a bit of help to you.

First thing to do is inspect the system. Get up under the dash with a good light. While there you can check a few things. The bushes you mention are pretty easy to spot and also see if there is a problem. Follow the clutch pedal up from the foot pad to the point where you see it pivots. You should see a spring there that attaches to one side of the clutch pedal bracket, extends into a slot on the clutch pedal and then over to the other side of the bracket.

First off, the spring should be one piece and not broken in two. There should also be a plastic bushing on each end of the spring where it goes through the bracket and also one where the centre of the spring contacts the clutch pedal. Often these bushings are broken and missing. The centre one on the pedal, if missing and left that way, will cause the spring to wear and also you can have a groove worn into the pedal metal itself.

Here is a link that shows you where are we are talking about. http://www.lieblweb.com/clutchbushing.html

If you need to repair the bushings then I can recommend the bronze bushing replacement repair. I did this and works a treat, just like new factory.
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1s...al-squeak-new-bushing-design.html#post2173416
    On this post I have part numbers and info on how I did it.
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st-gen-tacomas/213113-cruise-control-problem-2.html

While you are under there you can check out the back of your clutch master cylinder. The master cylinder rod/arm attaches to your pedal arm and if you follow it back toward the bulkhead you will see a rubber boot there. Peal this back to see if you see/feel any wetness from the fluid leaking out of the back of the master cylinder. If wet then you know the master cylinder is having a problem and needs repair. If dry it still does not rule it out, but being wet there is a certain indicator.

Have you noticed the fluid level going down in the master cylinder?

Next I'd check the fluid level in the master cylinder. I'd also check for leaks at the metal line going in. Is the nut holding the line tight? Don't strip it out.

Now follow the line down both visually and with your hand carefully. Feel and look for any leaks, pinched lines or damage. Pay particular attention to where the hard line connects to the clutch hose and the clutch hose. On the hose see if you can find cracked, blistered, swollen or leaking spots. On my system, while redoing the clutch, the hose looked good, but when I ran my hand over it I found it was blistered apart in an area I could not see. You'll have to do this step from above and also climb under the truck (be careful and use supports if you have to jack it up) to follow it down. Eventually you will reach the slave cylinder on the side of the transmission. Look for leaks and issue here. Pull back the rubber boot and see if it is wet under the boot. If leaking, just like the master, then it needs repair.

If nothing obvious thus far then I'd try bleeding the system next. When I redid my system (new clutch, clutch master, hose and slave cylinder) I had quite a bit of air in the system even though I tried to prime components. Pedal would go to the floor and not spring back up.

If you don't already have, you can get the fsm here to help you.
    Hopefully that will get you started. I'm sure I've probably forgotten something, but at least gave it a shot with my 2 hours of sleep lol.

Post and let everyone know what you come up with or find. I'm sure with the great people on this board can get you fixed.

cheers

3. Aug 6, 2012 at 8:57 AM
    Madjik_Man

Madjik_Man The Rembrandt of Rattle Can

Member:
    Colorado Front Range
    Vehicle:
    1998 Ext Cab 3.4 4x4 TRD 5MT, 2004 DC 3.4 4x4 TRD
    Great post as always Hillingdoner.

Assuming the OP has a V6 with the torsion spring, he can always do the linear spring swap. Great cheap mod that eliminates the ridiculousness of the torsion spring and the accompanying squeak.

4. Aug 6, 2012 at 10:03 AM
    Hillingdoner

Member:
    Rio Rancho, NM
    Vehicle:
    140 amp Cadillac alternator, Audio system in progress, 4Runner map light mirror conversion, foot well lamp addition, buckets and console from 99 Tacoma regular cab, big three, tint
    Thanks. Means a lot coming from you. Some day I hope to be "one of the sharper tools in the shed" although most days I don't know if I could even find the shed lol.

Hopefully the OP will post back. Would be nice to get it sorted for him.

5. Aug 6, 2012 at 5:28 PM
    yamahahauler

Member:
    First Name:
    tyler
    Culver
    Vehicle:
    98 white
    took the clutch pedal out and found that it is the spring bushing im working on making a brass bushing right now to solve the problem for good thanks for the reply guys!

6. Aug 6, 2012 at 5:33 PM
    Madjik_Man

Madjik_Man The Rembrandt of Rattle Can

Member:
    Colorado Front Range
    Vehicle:
    1998 Ext Cab 3.4 4x4 TRD 5MT, 2004 DC 3.4 4x4 TRD
    Hopefully this helps: There's also the linear spring swap. I did it and it works great.

Good luck

7. Aug 6, 2012 at 6:49 PM
    tacoma04

tacoma04 Laissez les bons temps rouler

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    Northern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR DCSB BBP
    ^^^^ I second that! Did the linear swap and it works like a charm. Now I don't have to worry about a stupid bushing wearing out again. That noise drove me crazy.

8. Aug 7, 2012 at 4:00 AM
    Hillingdoner

Member:
    Rio Rancho, NM
    Vehicle:
    Glad you were able to find the problem.

As I mentioned, some have had good luck with the spring swap. I just felt more comfortable with the bushing replacement so that everything was as per factory. Been running it a good while now and no wear at all. Have seen where others have been using the same for even longer than I have. Nice to not have to worry about those cheesy plastic bushings!

Cheers

9. Aug 10, 2012 at 6:14 PM
    yamahahauler

Member:
    First Name:
    tyler
    Culver
    Vehicle:
    98 white
    I'm interested in the linear spring swap is there a write up about it or pictures?

10. Aug 10, 2012 at 6:18 PM
    Wild Card

Wild Card Truck yeah!

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Portland, MI
    Vehicle:
    02 TRD SR5 4x4 V6 Xtra Cab 5spd
    6" Deckplate. Trimmed TB gasket. Grey wire. Disable DRL's.
  11. Aug 16, 2012 at 1:12 PM
    yamahahauler

Member:
    First Name:
    tyler
    Culver
    Vehicle:
    98 white
    Thanks for the help my spring bushings were bad so I went to a linear spring and it helped out a lot until my master went out a couple days later I just got done putting the new one in and she works like a charm now:)

12. Aug 16, 2012 at 1:17 PM
    tacoma04

tacoma04 Laissez les bons temps rouler

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    Northern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR DCSB BBP
    Glad you got it fixed up :thumbsup:

13. Jan 15, 2015 at 9:53 AM
    Silvert

Silvert Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma reg. cab.,5sp., 4 cyl.
    Toyota person who respond to me-
    Alex Mendoza
    Toyota Customer Experience
    Toyota Motor Sales. USA
    19001 South Western Avenue
    Torrance, CA 90501
    800-331-4331
    5:00am-6.00pm
    WRITE, TELL OTHERS TO WRITE, BUG THEM !!!

Products Discussed in

To Top