1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cat got hacked off...Advice please?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Codystauffer, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Oct 23, 2012 at 8:45 PM
    rzgkane

rzgkane Well-Known Member

Member:
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma TDR Sport 4WD DCLB - Cement - Tech and Premium
    4Runner Trail wheels and Toyo Open Country ATII tires 265-70-17. Cosmetic stuff like Pro grille and OffRoad black bumper trim, vinyl delete on side, added hood graphic, OEM tube steps.
    By and large, it's the meth addicts stealing these things. They care zero about karma because life has already dealt them a shit life that can't get much worse.

2. Oct 23, 2012 at 8:46 PM
    Madjik_Man

Madjik_Man The Rembrandt of Rattle Can

Member:
    Colorado Front Range
    Vehicle:
    1998 Ext Cab 3.4 4x4 TRD 5MT, 2004 DC 3.4 4x4 TRD
    Sounds like the days of past when I used to go out drinkin' and hoggin'

Sorry to hear about shitty humans infiltrating your life.

3. Oct 23, 2012 at 9:29 PM
    TacoDaddy

TacoDaddy Just call me Daddy

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Sport
    too bad the 5-0 didn't let you sawzall their legs off!

4. Oct 23, 2012 at 10:13 PM
    michael roberts

michael roberts Well-Known Member

Member:
    san diego
    Vehicle:
    07,4x4, white, AC.
    powder coated hood support.
    If anyone has a bolt on cat, I would recommend tac welding those nuts on, or at least jack the threads up. Make it hard on the thieves. If they want to get under there with a saw and make all that noise, maybe you'll catch them.

5. Oct 23, 2012 at 10:21 PM
    92shawman

92shawman Person

Member:
    First Name:
    K
    The Americas
    Vehicle:
    1992 Toyota Pickup
    Lots...see build
    Interesting theft prevention: derp...see later post
    Don't think I would pay the $150 - $300 for one, but if you have a super expensive cat, I guess it would make sense :notsure:

6. Oct 23, 2012 at 11:05 PM
    logcabinwc

logcabinwc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Micah
    SF East Bay
    Vehicle:
    08 4d 4x4 White V6 TRD
    Old Man Emu 885s with Nitrocharged 90000, Bilstein 5100 in the back with AllPro 3 spring progressive AAL, 16 inch Baja Black 6-spoke alloy wheels, Flow Master exhaust, bed lights, Pioneer HD radio, Uniden CB Radio, K&N Air filter, BAMF Sliders w/kickout, Relentless Aluminum IFS Skid, 24 LED light bar, custom/homebuilt expedition style bed rack and basket combo, and Body Armor rear plate bumper.
    hey kevin.. your link is.. uh.. ya. might want to fix that!:rolleyes:

7. Oct 23, 2012 at 11:25 PM
    92shawman

92shawman Person

Member:
    First Name:
    K
    The Americas
    Vehicle:
    1992 Toyota Pickup
    Lots...see build
    dafuq? no idea what happened there...I vaguely remember this happening before, but I don't remember why.
    try this: cat clamp dot com. No spaces

8. Oct 24, 2012 at 12:02 AM
    tx novice

tx novice Foward momentum

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    OAHU
    Vehicle:
    11 DC 4X4 TX PRO silver
    Trd, Cal Tech, Weather tech, Viper, Al's tinting . L.E.D's , Hide a Hitch or Chrome Stinger , Walker Evans Resi's w/AllPro 3" lift ,FLM, ProComp Xtreme MT2 , Diff Breather Mod, 4x4 Switch Light mod, Plastic Derped. Trailer Socket Relocate mod via Miles , 4:56 G2 gears. Blue Intake Spacer, S.S. Brake Lines F&R, Sway Bar Deleted, Roll-X, Pop-N-Lock Electric. Red metal TRD badges. Paid Off Mod- Chee Hu, Superbumbs(f),Timbrens(r).Pelfrey Bilt, Bamf, Urd. Cobra Heat Shield.CMC .Mishimoto (custom bracket by Nate), Powerstop, Rampage 50".Depo Taillights,SPPC Black Headlights, Rigid Industries. Factor 55.American AirFlow.
    Not sure how this would work in California but, what if you have your cat only bolted in for inspection time , then the rest of the year you drove around with a straight pipe. Does the cops do random checks for cats? That way you wouldn't have to worry about theft...You know wat I mean?

9. Oct 24, 2012 at 1:09 AM
    logcabinwc

Member:
    First Name:
    Micah
    SF East Bay
    Vehicle:
    08 4d 4x4 White V6 TRD
    Old Man Emu 885s with Nitrocharged 90000, Bilstein 5100 in the back with AllPro 3 spring progressive AAL, 16 inch Baja Black 6-spoke alloy wheels, Flow Master exhaust, bed lights, Pioneer HD radio, Uniden CB Radio, K&N Air filter, BAMF Sliders w/kickout, Relentless Aluminum IFS Skid, 24 LED light bar, custom/homebuilt expedition style bed rack and basket combo, and Body Armor rear plate bumper.
    I doubt a cop would find that on a normal traffic stop... but I wouldn't want to do that anyway. Catalytic converter is a good thing and reduces GHG emissions considerably and I think is way to important to chuck of your truck. True, it won't hurt your performance or anything, but it will hurt the environment.
    My apologies... I'm an environmental science and natural resources conservation major... aka "tree hugger" a little. :rolleyes: and even worse I'm am taking a course in Energy and Environmental Aspects of Transportation. Interesting topic and statistics that come out of the class, even if the professor can be kind of boring.

10. Oct 24, 2012 at 1:13 AM
    logcabinwc

Member:
    First Name:
    Micah
    SF East Bay
    Vehicle:
    08 4d 4x4 White V6 TRD
    ya I've looked at that before too kevin.. Idk.. all those cables flopping around kinda freak me out if we were on a trail. It would make me nervous that they would catch on something, ya know?
    [​IMG]

Hopeful if I make a mid skid this quarter that will take care of it.

But I'm not going to lie.. I checked my truck before I came back upstairs for the night.. and I'll probably check every morning or so know that someone is stealing them again in Davis...

Pieces of shit thieves. Some should go chop their dick off in the middle of the night and run off with it and see how they like it.

11. Oct 24, 2012 at 1:21 AM
    mikesdoublecab

mikesdoublecab LT Chase Truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Mohawk Mike
    Glendale, CA
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma DoubleCab V6 Prerunner
    Engage Offroad long travel front and rear with some fat tires.
    i have seen these random checkpoints in and around the So Cal area where they have these mobile white service trucks with smog looking gear and they set up a lane of cones in the shoulder...

they typically have a Highway Patrol officer with them and i have seen them pull a car that was cruising ahead of me, then hook them up to their machines...

have no idea if that's an actual sting or just some Clean Air Management survey type thing...

it happened once in Carson on Figueroa and 223rd streets and i have seen it near Hollywood...

CA has some really strict smog laws...

12. Oct 24, 2012 at 7:16 AM
    92shawman

92shawman Person

Member:
    First Name:
    K
    The Americas
    Vehicle:
    1992 Toyota Pickup
    Lots...see build
    I agree, it seems like those cables would get caught on stuff, especially brush, and if you hit the cat on a rock (like I did at slickrock) it seems like that mechanism would cause even more damage because it sits down lower. Maybe not the best for a truck that sees difficult offroading.

13. Oct 28, 2012 at 1:01 AM
    Fernando

Fernando Hammerdown

Member:
    First Name:
    Fernando
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma DC 4x4
    Too many, See Build
    In Davis!!!??? damn, thats a nice area too....They been hitting west sac too. Im a volunteer for the police dept so i been seeing tacomas and tundras getting jacked lately...damn thieves

14. Nov 2, 2012 at 5:31 PM
    Codystauffer

Codystauffer [OP] We are insignificantly importnant in this universe

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    California
    Vehicle:
    97 V6 4x4 Super White
    3" Revtek Spacers in the the front, AAL in rear, Random custom painting, stereo system, cb.. more
    Yeah man! I live by lake blvd on the edge of town. My roommate is also a tacomaworld member, and we have similar tacos! Yeah if that's something you guys would have the time for, id be down to experiment with different support welds. Getting my truck fixed next week. It took days because of school, and Im able to use my sister's car. Just PM me with your phone number. Im new down here, so we should just kick it anyways! Tacoma meet and greet or something!

15. Nov 2, 2012 at 7:06 PM
    92shawman

92shawman Person

Member:
    First Name:
    K
    The Americas
    Vehicle:
    1992 Toyota Pickup
    Lots...see build
    For sure!
    If you're willing to go with a big group in the north east bay area we have a meet and greet set for Nov. 17th. http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/no...norcal-meet-greet-saturday-november-17th.html

We might start a new thread soon, though, so just watch for that.

I'm for sure going, let me know if you want a ride or if you want to caravan down!

16. Nov 3, 2012 at 8:29 AM
    mtbskilz

mtbskilz Member

Member:
    Denver Co.
    Vehicle:
    2004 sr5 3" lift black
    3" lift, pro-comp alloy rims black, shrockworks front bumper, piaa driving lights, piaa fog lights, warn m8000, AEM intake, optima yellow top battery, custom cat back with glass pack, viair hd on bored air system, kolbolt tool box. soon to be SASed
    i have done what was being described earlier with running cats for inspection then unbolting and running straight pipe rest of the time until a cop did some profiling because i had a loud aftermarket exhaust and slapped me with a $1500 fine and impounded the truck. and this is colorado so i can't imagine what cali would do.

17. Nov 3, 2012 at 12:03 PM
    Codystauffer

Codystauffer [OP] We are insignificantly importnant in this universe

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    California
    Vehicle:
    97 V6 4x4 Super White
    3" Revtek Spacers in the the front, AAL in rear, Random custom painting, stereo system, cb.. more
    Damn, thats heavy. I was actually thinking about just straight piping it, until I need to smog again. Maybe I should rethink that. What did you tell the cop?

18. Nov 3, 2012 at 7:01 PM
    michael roberts

michael roberts Well-Known Member

Member:
    san diego
    Vehicle:
    07,4x4, white, AC.
    powder coated hood support.
    Hey eveybody, I recommended tack welding the cat bolts on because my cat was ripped off my '93 right in my driveway, 12' from my front door. I didn't even know it was a bolt on.Anyway it was a major headache.

19. Nov 3, 2012 at 7:07 PM
    Enino12

Enino12 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner Dub Cab
    Two 10" Rockford Fosgate P2 Subs, R/T 10" Dual Ported Box Behind Back Seat, Powered by Rockford Fosgate Punch 600.2 T Amp, 3" Rough Country Suspension Lift, Tacoma Running Boards, N-fab Light Bar, 4 KC HiLites, More to come soon
    WTH?? Are you serious? I have never heard of this happening

20. Nov 3, 2012 at 7:36 PM
    mtbskilz

mtbskilz Member

Member:
    Denver Co.
    Vehicle:
    2004 sr5 3" lift black
    3" lift, pro-comp alloy rims black, shrockworks front bumper, piaa driving lights, piaa fog lights, warn m8000, AEM intake, optima yellow top battery, custom cat back with glass pack, viair hd on bored air system, kolbolt tool box. soon to be SASed
    well i knew i wasn't supposed to not have a cat even though i live in a non-emisions county but did so anyway. i didn't dispute it just said that i knew that i didn't have the cat when asked. now i somewhat have a cat, found one at junk yard cut it open took out all the crap in it and welded back together so it looks like i have one. also if straight piped you will through a code for cat inefficiency it is easy to fix URD has 02 sensor simulators that will fix that issue just sits between rear o2S and computer and uses factory connectors.

Products Discussed in

To Top