1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

1999 Toyota Tacoma tune up/ First truck

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by CRiz, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Oct 10, 2013 at 11:48 PM
    CRiz

CRiz [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christopher
    PHX , AZ
    Vehicle:
    99 PreRunner 2.7L
    Hey guys its my first post on TW, but i have been on it non stop since i purchased my truck a couple days ago.... So I just bought a 1999 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner with a 4cyl 2.7L. It has 185,000 miles on it, so i know it still starting out!! This is my first Vehicle as i'm only 17. I'm not sure on what sort of maintenance as been done to the truck other than oil changes as the previous owner did not tell me other than oil changes. I got the Truck inspected at a PepBoys and they said that the truck looked great but there is a couple things i should look at at. I was told that i will need to replace the battery, along with the K&N air filter, and the spark plug wires as they are still the original ones that came with the truck. So far ive done all those excepted for replace the spark plug wires but i ordered them this morning so they should be coming in sometime soon. I'm under sure of what else i need to do to the truck in terms of tune ups. The Brake light on the truck is on but i was told by the owner that it was a problem with the e-brake so i didn't think it was much of a problem. The truck runs great except sometimes when at a red light and im easing on the brakes the truck begins to shake and vibrate. It only does it sometimes but im sure if its the brakes or if it has to do with the transmission of the truck.

Any help from you guys would be much appreciated as im unsure of what all i need to do! Thanks so much for the help! Keep in mind that im still in High School so im only working a part time job so i don't have tons of money and im still a truck nOOb!

2. Oct 11, 2013 at 12:01 AM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    not so low, not so slow 2006 6 lug
    stockish
    Just consider that zero maintenance was done... This puts u in a position to start out fresh when u get it all squared away.

The stumbling maybe fuel filter issue?

Clean ur maf sensor.... Odds are the k&n left a film of oil on it..... Same for the throttle body.

Don't write off brakes as no big deal...... That would be the first thing I dove into.

3. Oct 11, 2013 at 1:25 AM
    RJ MacReady

RJ MacReady professional trousersnake charmer

Member:
    First Name:
    RJ/Mike Hauncho/HeavyHands
    US OUTPOST North 31-Mayday Mayday! We've found som
    Vehicle:
    00 4Runner 4WD LTD - Cheatin' Bitch Build 2
    Cheatin' bitch build 2: All stock for now... 99' Tacoma 4wd TRD Cheatin' bitch build 1: BG44K additive, motul 5w40(always), deckplate mod, K&N washable air filter, 2.5" flow master(cut thanks to Airdog), king fronts 2.5", all pro standard leaf pk, stainless steel rear ext brakeline, 5125's 10" travel rears, 4-jasper offroad 6" pod LED spot lights, secret compartment for small bottle of wild turkey, cobra CB, Hi-lift jack w/locking bed mount, hi lift curved bumper lift & road base plate, smittybuilt X20 winch, wab fab F&R bumpers w/ hitch receivers, smittybuilt 4in1 recov tool, 10gal mini flamethrower, 11 lbs dynamite sticks, 13 4-hr snowflares, .50Cal full auto mounted machine gun w/ RPG unit & a shitoad of death metal to fuckstart your brain...everything you need for first contact with a shape-shifting alien entity frozen for over 100,000 years reanimated & immitating all life it engulfs.
    T R U T H

brakes & fluids should be replace along w/ battery as soon as purchased

4. Oct 11, 2013 at 5:59 AM
    MowTaco

MowTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    16 Chevrolet Silverado
    The brake light comes on in these if you're low on brake fluid, check that reservoir (right on the firewall in front of where you sit. Fluid should look like light beer). The e-brakes are also notoriously sticky, see if you can get it to go away by messing around with the e brake lever.

I would also do plugs/wires/ dist. cap and change out all the fluids (oil, coolant, rear axle, transmission, transfer case). Sounds like a lot but you could probably knock it out in a day and it won't cost too much at all. Your accessory belts are probably overdue too (I think they're supposed to be changed every 100k). If one lets go you'll be without either power steering, A/C, or the alternator.

Also delete your account here and never come back. This site will have all your money spent on mods in no time flat

5. Oct 11, 2013 at 10:20 AM
    CRiz

Member:
    First Name:
    Christopher
    PHX , AZ
    Vehicle:
    99 PreRunner 2.7L
    Hey guys thanks for all the helps so far!
    I already planned on cleaning the MAF sensor as soon as i get my next pay check, but im unsure on how to clean my throttle body on my 1999 4cyl. I don't have a lot of experience so i don't really want to break anything.
    Ill make the brakes my next priority along with all the fluids being flushed! I will also look into changing out the belts because on a cold start it does sound like a belt is slipping but just as i'm turning the key, once the truck is on everything is back to normal. I'm also unsure on how to change all the belts for the truck!

Thanks again for all the help!

6. Oct 11, 2013 at 12:46 PM
    CRiz

Member:
    First Name:
    Christopher
    PHX , AZ
    Vehicle:
    99 PreRunner 2.7L
    just another update: I just check the brake fluid and it was a little below minimum so i put some more brake fluid in there and the brake light did turn off :)

7. Oct 11, 2013 at 1:03 PM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    not so low, not so slow 2006 6 lug
    stockish
    Good to hear..... And this is why u don't take what the prior owner said as fact.
    Hopefully this was the only reason the light came on.

Happy driving!

8. Oct 11, 2013 at 1:22 PM
    CRiz

Member:
    First Name:
    Christopher
    PHX , AZ
    Vehicle:
    99 PreRunner 2.7L
    Thank you!

9. Oct 11, 2013 at 1:33 PM
    CRiz

Member:
    First Name:
    Christopher
    PHX , AZ
    Vehicle:
    99 PreRunner 2.7L
    the issue with the with the truck jerking and shaking when sometimes easing on the brakes at low speeds has still not being fixed! Any ideas?

10. Oct 11, 2013 at 1:36 PM
    WThomas1250

WThomas1250 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I got my truck at around 180K. I had it tuned up around 185K cause it was sluggish at times. Spark plugs/wires, the PCV valve, oil change, and maybe a few other things I can't remember at the moment.
    I also had the fuel filter replaced when I got the truck.

I have a similar vibration issue at stop lights. It almost feels like getting rear ended or locking up the brakes. I have no idea what it is, and my mechanic has not been able to diagnose it. My brakes have been done and I have a manual transmission so it's not a transmission problem for me. Weird.

11. Oct 11, 2013 at 1:40 PM
    CRiz

Member:
    First Name:
    Christopher
    PHX , AZ
    Vehicle:
    99 PreRunner 2.7L
    I honestly have no idea what the problem could be or where I should look about fixing the problem.

12. Oct 13, 2013 at 3:19 PM
    TTBlues

TTBlues Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1999 Tacoma SR5 V6 4x4
    Stock
  13. Oct 13, 2013 at 3:19 PM
    TTBlues

TTBlues Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle: