1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Trying to diagnose a pulsing driveline vibration

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by azajee9495, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Jan 22, 2014 at 8:10 AM
    Mod

Mod Well-Known Member

Member:
    CR, WA
    Vehicle:
    1999 8 port 3RZ 4WD SR5
    stock
    Bearing cups on the u-joint should spin free when slid on 1/2-3/4 way on the joint bearing shaft portion. Pushing the cups on clear to the seals,,will cause the seals to rub on the u-joint body,,giving you a false feel,, and the best time to check them is when they are due for grease. With only 92K on them, I would wager a bet that they are fine. 208K on my original "99" joints all around and still smooth. They started tossing service grease onto the floorboards at about 100-125K,,so they get greased at 1500-1700 mile intervals,,then the full service happens at 3000. Your rear differential joint is the one that takes the most abuse out of all of them,,from road deposits getting blasted on it during the wet.

2. Jan 22, 2014 at 6:52 PM
    johnboyTRD

johnboyTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    South SF bay
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma Double Cab TRD
    Full ome lift, nitro charger sports all 4 corners (rear shocks relocated), Dakar pack w/ AAL, 882 coils, diff drop, toytec 1" shackles, trail gear low profile front bumper, Tuff Stuff winch, bamf sliders, RAT skids, BAMF Bed Rack, Tepui Kukenam RTT, RAT rear bumper,
    I bet it is the need bearing, in front diff. Sounds like what many of us with this issue experienced. Will link it in a few when I get home.

Here, read this, your 'goes away in 4hi' is a big red flag pointing this direction:
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1s...1st-gen-4x4-front-diff-bearing-vibration.html

Edit: disregard, I derped and misread the postings and thred (never walk and tapatalk), good luck with your diagnosis :)

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
  3. Jan 25, 2014 at 8:10 AM
    TomYotaNH

TomYotaNH Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Seacoast NH
    Vehicle:
    '16 Barcelona Red DoubleCab Limited
    Almost Stock - BedRug, Power Tailgate Lock, ….
    Did that solve your vibration problem?

4. Jan 26, 2014 at 10:03 AM
    azajee9495

azajee9495 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma Extra Cab 4x4
    I just got it in the mail friday and its been snowing. Not sure when I will have time this week as I am a full-time student with a full-time job lol. I will post when I get it installed!

5. May 12, 2014 at 6:20 PM
    hheil001

hheil001 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    hunter
    baton rouge LA
    Vehicle:
    08 prerunner sport
    spin tech exhaust, K and N cold air intake, painted emblems black
    Any update with this, I have the same problem in my 08'. Its the same pulsing vibration about every second. Except mine quits when I make a right hand turn (switching lanes). I've been trying to figure this out for months now.

6. May 14, 2014 at 11:23 AM
    azajee9495

azajee9495 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    After the installation of the new bearing my pulsing vibration at low speeds is gone. But if your vibration stops when you make a turn I would vote on a bad wheel bearing.

7. May 14, 2014 at 3:13 PM
    Mod

Mod Well-Known Member

Member:
    CR, WA
    Vehicle:
    1999 8 port 3RZ 4WD SR5
    stock

+1. And that can go both ways. It will either stop vibrating or get severely worse,,in which case, carefully slow down and pull it over, let it cool down on it's own.

Just drifting over in a lane change is not a huge angle of attack change most of the time, but it could definitely be a wheel bearing.

8. Jun 4, 2014 at 12:21 PM
    hheil001

hheil001 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    hunter
    baton rouge LA
    Vehicle:
    08 prerunner sport
    spin tech exhaust, K and N cold air intake, painted emblems black
    Thanks for the help. I didn't think it would be a wheel bearing because I only have 106k on the truck. That seemed premature for a 2wd truck to have front bearings going bad

9. Aug 4, 2014 at 10:29 PM
    azajee9495

azajee9495 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    well I haven't posted here on here in a while. But my problem never really went away. A few days after I got the new carrier bearing and a new u-joint on the rear drive shaft (had a tight spot in it) the vibration/sound came back. I now realize that was just a coincidence because I have now discovered what my vibration is. The front driveshaft is spinning in 2 wheel drive. Anyone have any ideas why or how this is happening? No power is being put to the front wheels it just spins over about once every second or so. I can crawl under the truck and easily turn the driveshaft with my hand while the truck is parked and in gear. Any ideas?

10. Aug 5, 2014 at 12:28 AM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now

Don't know how I missed this thread, ok, first off the turning of front shaft is pretty normal while going down the road,its centrifugal force, more so with A.D.D. types than a standard "get out of truck" to lock the hubs.. Actually, a fair amount of movement/play in the Carrier is considered normal, Prolly been asked a thousand times already so I'll ask again are you sure the rear driveshaft is straight ??Balanced ?? No chance it threw a weight ?? rare but it happens..

Pulled axles to check outer bearing yet?? That could be it too possibly, ya might as well, change the seal its due.. Sometimes wheel bearings will act this way, when they wear into the race, it gets deeper & the bearings start to "egg shape" that can cause a warping wobble in rotation, dont think its going to be a pinion losing its bearing or preload, you'd have heard something, get a cam mounted somewhere far end of bed, underneath so you can view behavior of driveline, tires/wheel/axle movement....thays all i got for ya dude

11. Jan 12, 2018 at 11:47 AM
    ottoh

ottoh Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2005 tacoma base
    Hey
    kckrawford!
    Did you manage to figure out the cause of your vibration problem?
    I think I have the same issue with my truck.

12. Jan 12, 2018 at 11:52 AM
    ottoh

ottoh Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2005 tacoma base
    Any update on this?
    Thanks!

13. Jan 20, 2018 at 6:53 AM
    bldegle2

bldegle2 OldPhart

Member:
    San Francisco, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prerunner TRD AccessCab
    New Navigation DVD/CD/TV/AV/Bluetooth Stereo and seat mod spacers, 1" hubcentric spacers, seat heaters....
    DO NOT rotate the driveshaft on its splines. There are several paint marks/dabs on these shafts (mine had white paint dabs), just make sure they are lined up perfectly so the universal joints are in 'phase'. If not, vibrations will ensure....the weights on the shaft pieces can be anywhere on either shaft, they are balanced separately, then aligned and assembled for a final balance check. Not unusual to see weights in various spots as they are not intended to line up...

Believe me when I tell you I have spent a maddening amount of time understanding these long two piece driveshafts...

Pay attention to your angles, there are three of them to measure, front of shaft coming out of transmission, middle of shaft, end of shaft to third member. If any of these are not in spec, then you have to use shims and washers to bring all back to 'right'.

Since you have a 4 wheel drive vehicle, it could be the bearings up front....do a search, you will find all sorts of informations on that problem...

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018

Products Discussed in

To Top