1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Lexus ES300 alternator a direct, bolt on swap?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by EdFlecko, Sep 18, 2014.

1. Sep 18, 2014 at 9:28 AM
    EdFlecko

EdFlecko [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Sacramento, California
    I've read that the Lexus ES300 alternator is a direct, bolt on swap somewhere and that it puts out appx. 100 amps - is that right?

I don't need a special, high-output setup like some of you have because I have a basic, "daily driver" truck, but if this alternator is a direct replacement for my stock 80 amp model it seems silly to not use this instead?

My truck is an '04 - should I use the same year of Lexus? Has anybody made this swap? Are you happy with it?

Ed

2. Sep 18, 2014 at 9:36 AM
    TashcomerTexas

TashcomerTexas My truck is a whiner

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 TRD DC King Ranch Edition
  3. Oct 10, 2014 at 6:04 AM
    TacomaZAV69

TacomaZAV69 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sherb
    Upstate SC
    Vehicle:
    02 Stepside Prerunner
    Exterior: 2008 Baja TRD Rims *Blisten Setup* Moog Lower Ball Joints *Upper Control arms* Plasti Dipped -Front Grill & Toyota Logo -All 4 Fender Flares -All Badges on Truck *Anzo Headlights* Interior: -Pioneer AVX-1500DVD Double Din Touch Screen -2 Rockford Fosgate 6x9 door speakers. -2 12' Sony subwoofers *Interior Red led's* *Gauges* *Seat Covers* *Cluster LED swap* Engine: -K&N CAI -Helix Power Tower Plus Throttle Body Spacer -FlowMaster duel 40 series -*Supercharger* -*URD KIT* Fun Toys: Currently rebuilding a supercharger!! -Jackass Horn Kit from Hornblasters!

Did you do this project? I have access to getting me one of these brand spanking new if this worked..??

4. Oct 10, 2014 at 7:16 AM
    EdFlecko

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Sacramento, California
    Sherb -

I have not done this yet only because I haven't had the chance to:

1) Confirm that this is, in fact, a bolt-on swap and
    2) Figure out which year(s) of ES300 are direct replacements.

If you have the resources to confirm if this is a legit, bolt-on swap and what year(s) will work, I'd be very interested in knowing!

Ed

5. Oct 10, 2014 at 7:36 AM
    TacomaZAV69

TacomaZAV69 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sherb
    Upstate SC
    Vehicle:
    02 Stepside Prerunner
    Exterior: 2008 Baja TRD Rims *Blisten Setup* Moog Lower Ball Joints *Upper Control arms* Plasti Dipped -Front Grill & Toyota Logo -All 4 Fender Flares -All Badges on Truck *Anzo Headlights* Interior: -Pioneer AVX-1500DVD Double Din Touch Screen -2 Rockford Fosgate 6x9 door speakers. -2 12' Sony subwoofers *Interior Red led's* *Gauges* *Seat Covers* *Cluster LED swap* Engine: -K&N CAI -Helix Power Tower Plus Throttle Body Spacer -FlowMaster duel 40 series -*Supercharger* -*URD KIT* Fun Toys: Currently rebuilding a supercharger!! -Jackass Horn Kit from Hornblasters!
    I have a brand new part here at work that Im going to look at. I will go to toyota and get a new one for our truck and just match the parts together and see visual differences and then connector differences.. Im thinking since alot of the 3VZ parts and 5VZ parts are interchangable. If this works im curious to know what else could be interchangeable.

6. Oct 10, 2014 at 7:50 AM
    EdFlecko

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Sacramento, California
    Cool! Can you let me know what you find out?

Ed

7. Oct 10, 2014 at 8:13 AM
    keakar

keakar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    karl
    louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2006 4runner sport 4.7L V8 (white)
    used to have - 99 2.4L I4 5 lug & 04 prerunner v6
    can you guys also mention prices? im curious if the 300 is cheaper then the stock taco 80 amp, ya never know, stranger things have happened and sometimes they seam to jack prices on truck parts just because they are truck parts.

I am also curious why 80 amp isn't enough? I cant think of anything that even uses any power on these little trucks so why do you feel you need more? does the stock 80 amp seam marginal to you for some reason?

im trying to learn about these trucks and wanting to know if our alternators are weak for a completely stock truck.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
  8. Oct 13, 2014 at 1:44 PM
    TashcomerTexas

TashcomerTexas My truck is a whiner

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 TRD DC King Ranch Edition
    If you want to run a winch and light bars, air compressor, etc. it's better to have a bigger built alternator

Products Discussed in

To Top