1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TSB + 5100s + Eibachs

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TXBulldawg, Mar 24, 2011.

1. Mar 24, 2011 at 4:35 PM
    TXBulldawg

TXBulldawg [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2014 Silver 4Runner SR5 4x4
    In progress...
    Went in for the rear TSB yesterday and had 'em do the 5100s (set at 0), Eibachs, and 1/4" driver side spacer, as well. Doesn't look a lot different, but man what a difference it makes in the ride. No more hoopty bounce over every dip. No more bottoming out on every dip. No more jostling around on bumps and railroad crossings. I was going though all of that every day to and from work, and I was definitely paying attention today.

People will ask how much firmer the ride is... Well, everyone's butt is different, so I think it's a subjective question. I personally never liked cushy rides. When I was a kid driving my dad's Oldsmobile, I felt like I was driving a beached whale. The ride is firmer, but it's not harsh. My last truck was an '01 Taco, and I changed over to full Old Man Emu within two weeks. I prefer the firmer ride. My previous Jeep... same thing, had the heavy-rated OME suspension on within a few weeks. My 1/2-ton Dodge prior to that... 1-ton coils and add-a-leafs. So yeah, I like a firmer ride. I think it makes me feel more in control of what I'm driving. Like a sports car, I guess.

I think I got what I wanted, here. I wasn't going for lift. I wanted a beefier suspension that rode better (to me) and could handle some weight . My 3-leaf springs were bottoming out on dips with only a tool chest with about 250lbs in it in the back. So I played the game... went to the dealer, explained the problem, and they took a look at it. They "let me know" there were upgraded springs they'd install for me, so I said "hey, that's great! By the way, I've got these other springs & shocks..." They wanted to charge me for the alignment, however, so I had to pull out the TSB on my iPhone and show them where it said it was to be done even when just replacing the rear springs. So everything came out good in the end.

So now that you've skipped over all of that, here's da pics.

Before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

Before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

Before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

Before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

Profile (no before on this one):
    [​IMG]

Again, not much difference visibly, but man it sure feels better. Keep the following in mind: I have just over 3300 miles on the truck. All of the before pics above are without my tool chest. The tail end had already begun sagging by the time I put the chest in. Here's a pic from just a couple of days before getting the chest:

[​IMG]

That's with no weight in the back other than a few odds and ends in the bed side cubbies. It only got worse from there. The final straw for me was two or three weeks ago when I loaded up two containers of kitty litter and a few groceries in the back, sat in the driver seat, and could tell that the truck was noticeably moreso ass-low than usual. That's just freakin' unacceptable, IMO.

I'll let the springs settle for a few weeks before deciding on an add-a-leaf.

2. Mar 24, 2011 at 4:38 PM
    Bosworth5

Bosworth5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Orange County
    Vehicle:
    10 PreRunner Offroad
    Colormatched Satoshi, HID Converted Hella 500 behind grille, Bilstein 5100 X4 at 1.75" in front, extra drings.
  3. Mar 24, 2011 at 4:40 PM
    AsianAnts

AsianAnts just an AnT

Member:
    First Name:
    AnT
    Southern California (San Diego County)
    Vehicle:
    2011 PreRunner TRD Sport L/B Grey Metallic
    -Satoshi Grille Upper/Lower/Triangles -LED Map Lights, LED Dome Light, LED License Plate Lights -No front license -Wet Okole -Weather Techs (digi) -Running Boards -Bed Extender -AFE Cold Air Intake 2SI Dry Filter -Tailgate Hose-Clamp Mod, Tailgate washer Mod -Combi chain lock on bed extender -no chime w/ key in ignition & open door -Fog Light anytime -Slim Cubby's 3kHID fog -bumper plugs -keyhole plug -TRD license plate frame -combi-lock storage -rear TSB -window tint -camera mod -Painted radiator/engine covers -LS460 RetroFit -Bed Tie-Downs -LED Gauge Cluster, radio, clock and AC -Bed Mat -Extra DRings -Painted center console, radio unit, ac panel, overhead console.
    nice.. and good job on providing plenty of shots

4. Mar 24, 2011 at 4:45 PM
    T-rev

T-rev Resident Mall Crawler

Member:
    Tempe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Offroad
    This is the route I am going soon, thanks for the detailed post!

5. Mar 24, 2011 at 4:58 PM
    carcharias

carcharias Giggiddy what what

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 AC MGM OR
    Kings all-around w/ 700lb coils, Dakar leaf pack, TC uca's, DO single hoop bumper, BAMF bolt-on sliders w/ kickouts, Rigid 20" e-series spot/flood, aFe pro-dry, BFG KM2 255/85/16, silver TRD FJ wheels, WARN M8000-s, Access LE, Grillcraft, BAMF lightbar, BAMF rear dif skid, BAMF LCA skids, window tint, Wet Okoles, WeatherTech floorliners, Silverstar lights, led dome lights, Redline Tuning hood struts, center console lock mod, mag-lite mod, extra d-rings, re-routed exhaust, ATO skids, ATO Hi-Lift mounts, pipe tailgate lock, seatbelt alarm delete, wheel/spare locks, Viper 5901, LoJack... WISHLIST: a golden canary that poops platinum
    Alright, so this is kinda like a quiz for me since I'm very interested in what you did and loving how it looks. SO, the Eibachs give a 3" lift, which means you have your 5100s set at 0", right? The TSB added, I think 2", so you have a slight rake? 1/4"? What does the driver's spacer do? Keep it from leaning to the driver's side?

6. Mar 24, 2011 at 4:59 PM
    WTtoolman

WTtoolman Facial bones colapse as I crack your skull in half

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Omaha, NE
    Vehicle:
    2006 Access Cab 4x4 TRD SWB
    5100s at 0, eibachs, 2" toytec AAL,, Moto Metal 951b, BFG A/T
    What did you set the 5100s at?

7. Mar 24, 2011 at 5:05 PM
    TXBulldawg

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    In progress...
    Eibachs for 2nd Gen Tacos advertise 1.6" of lift. (How they came up with 1.6 rather than 1.5 or 1.7, I don't know, but 1.6 is kind of an odd figure, if you ask me. But I digress...) I don't know what I got out of either the Eibachs or the TSB. I didn't do any measuring. Sorry, I'm bad about that.

I have the 5100s set at 0. (Forgot to mention it - I'll add it.)

Correct on the spacer - it makes up for the weight of the gas tank, battery, and my fat ass on the driver side. :D

8. Mar 24, 2011 at 5:06 PM
    bridgcat

bridgcat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 4x4 SR5 TRD Offroad
    Avid Off-road Light bar w/ Line-X, American Aluminum Black LP Toolbox, N Fab black step bars,In-Channel Vent Visors, two 10" Rockford subs, Pioneer Double Din DVD player w/ Metra dash kit, 285/65R18 Nitto Trail Grappler MT/s. 18x9" Black XD Monsters. Weathertech digital fit floor mats. Color matched grille with FJ Tacoma badge. De-badged with black, "4x4" badge on tail gate. Mud flap delete mod. Custon TRD decal, color matched rear bumper, Icon extended travel reservoir coilovers, Icon rear reservoir shocks, Dakar rear leaf pack, extended stainless steel brake lines, Camburg uniball upper control arms, timeren bump stops,Beefed Taco carrier bearing drop, Rockford Fosgate Door speakers, Dynomat doors and rear panel, All pro front bumper.
    Looks great man! Very subtle!

9. Mar 24, 2011 at 5:07 PM
    TXBulldawg

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    In progress...
    See above. :D

10. Mar 24, 2011 at 5:21 PM
    Fatback17

Fatback17 Masshole

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    South of Boston, Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Pro MGM
    looks good!

Def raised it up just a bit but more important, its leveled out now and easily raised in the future if you wanted.

amazing what a bit of lift and some tires can do for the looks :thumbsup:

BTW where'd ya get the "4wd" emblem that replaced the "v6 sr5"

11. Mar 24, 2011 at 5:29 PM
    TXBulldawg

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    In progress...
    Thanks. I'm sure it'll settle quite a bit. I'm not too concerned as long as it keeps performing. I expect the Toyota leaf packs to settle quicker than the Eibachs. I'm not a stickler for the whole "level" thing. To me, a truck should have a rake so when you put stuff in it, you're not draggin' yer ass, so I may end up with add-a-leafs(leaves?) later on down the road.

Got the emblem off of Ebay. It's a Toyota emblem, I think off of a Rav4, Tundra, Sequoia, or something... not sure which.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  12. Mar 24, 2011 at 5:33 PM
    skistoy

skistoy Make mine a Double!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    09 4X4 SR5 BSP Double Taco
    Rear Spring TSB,Billy 5100@.85,Bull bar,Nerfbar,Painted Grill,Painted Rims,Bed D-rings,Compustar Starter,Goodyear Duratrac's,Transmission TSB,Brake Overide
  13. Mar 24, 2011 at 5:43 PM
    carcharias

carcharias Giggiddy what what

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 AC MGM OR
    Kings all-around w/ 700lb coils, Dakar leaf pack, TC uca's, DO single hoop bumper, BAMF bolt-on sliders w/ kickouts, Rigid 20" e-series spot/flood, aFe pro-dry, BFG KM2 255/85/16, silver TRD FJ wheels, WARN M8000-s, Access LE, Grillcraft, BAMF lightbar, BAMF rear dif skid, BAMF LCA skids, window tint, Wet Okoles, WeatherTech floorliners, Silverstar lights, led dome lights, Redline Tuning hood struts, center console lock mod, mag-lite mod, extra d-rings, re-routed exhaust, ATO skids, ATO Hi-Lift mounts, pipe tailgate lock, seatbelt alarm delete, wheel/spare locks, Viper 5901, LoJack... WISHLIST: a golden canary that poops platinum
    D'OH!! Well, 2 out 3 ain't so bad. heheh Thanks for the info!

14. Mar 24, 2011 at 8:08 PM
    whiskey101

whiskey101 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Clarksville, TN
    Vehicle:
    '17 Super White 4WD TRD Off-Road
    Leer 100XQ
    Looks good brother!

I got to stop spending so much money on turkey hunting and get my truck set up like yours. I do have an appointment at the dealer in a couple weeks so I plan to hit them up for the rear TSB.

15. Mar 25, 2011 at 9:51 AM
    Jeremy92

Jeremy92 Tennessee Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Smyrna, TN
    Vehicle:
    08 AC SR5 Prerunner Impulse Red
    Billies on all the way around, w/ Eibach Coils, w/ rear TSB. Brush Guard. Tail Light Guards.Window Rain Deflectors. 35% tint on side windows. Satoshi Grill(thanks TacoAlaMode). Fog Light Mod (thanks lifesaflaw123). 17x9 XD addicts wrapped in Kumho SAT Kl 61's 265/70/17.More to come!!!
    Nice looking truck man, i just got this setup installed on mine too, need to get the alignment today. And just to add back up to the questions asked above. For this setup.
    Eibachs = 1.6 of lift, they do the lifting not the billys
    Billys = set at zero, to get the lift that TXBulldawg got
    Rake = alittle front rake, if any. Also dependes on what you have in the front or rear of your truck as far as tool box, brush guard, etc...
    Note - that is with the TSB completed if you don't you may end up alittle nose high, not what you want. And it is not recommended to set the billys at anything other than zero, although some people set them at .85 this will make the ride alittle bit harsher.

16. Mar 25, 2011 at 9:59 AM
    RLDTACO

RLDTACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Houston Tx.
    Vehicle:
    2010 DCLB PreRunner SR5
    Debadged,Tailgate theft mod,Extra D-rings,OEM bed mat,TRD exhaust, 5100 Billys@ 4 corners set@ 0 with Eibach springs, rear TSB springs.N-Fab tube Steps. TRD FJ SE wheels and Michelin LTX A/T 2's
    Looks great! :thumbsup:

17. Mar 29, 2011 at 3:41 PM
    Hollywood

Hollywood Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    B-Rye
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    Sad face
    Wallet
    What size tires are you running? 265/75 ?

18. Mar 29, 2011 at 5:01 PM
    TXBulldawg

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    In progress...
    Yep.

19. Sep 20, 2014 at 12:00 AM
    gimmeajo

gimmeajo i'm here for the food

Member:
    First Name:
    Zander
    New Orleans via New England
    Vehicle:
    '13 DCSB 4WD TRD OR
    OME 883, N140, N182, 265/75/16 Hankook ATMs, Weathertechs, chop front flaps, diff breather, killed seatbelt dinger
    Did you ever have any rubbing with the 265/75 BFG A/Ts? I notice you removed front and rear mud flaps...

Products Discussed in

To Top