1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2007 lsd?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by kirkofwimbo, Jul 17, 2010.

1. Jul 17, 2010 at 8:21 PM
    kirkofwimbo

kirkofwimbo [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clayton
    Wimberley, TX
    Vehicle:
    ‘21 Tundra SR 4x4
    Im looking at buying a 2007 tacoma. Its a 4wd SR5. My only question about it is if it has an lsd or not. the only toggle it has to the left of the steering wheel is the one for the fog lamps. I know that it comes with EBD but am not sure what all the EBD entails. any info would be greatly appreciated

Kirk

2. Jul 17, 2010 at 8:33 PM
    05Moose

05Moose Middle-Aged Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    In the snow (NorCal)
    Vehicle:
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 #8 (LSD, Tow Pkg)
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 (LSD & Tow Pkg), Timbrens, AAL, 5100s (1.75), Owned: 12/3/04 Mods: Fog, Map/Dome Light, Illuminated 4wd Switch, Washable Cabin Air Filter
    If it's a TRD Sport, then it will have the LSD. But if it's simply an SR5, then you'll need to look underneath to tell. The LSD has a sticker on the back that says LSD Oil Only.

As far as EBD, here's a link to Toyota's glossary of all their electronic gizmo/doodads. It gives a good description for the EBD:
    http://www.toyota.com.au/glossary

3. Jul 17, 2010 at 8:43 PM
    kirkofwimbo

Member:
    First Name:
    Clayton
    Wimberley, TX
    Vehicle:
    ‘21 Tundra SR 4x4
    Ok so it EBD has nothing to do with the lsd?? The guy at the dealership told me that it had a system that uses the brakes to mimic an lsd...is that not true?

4. Jul 17, 2010 at 10:16 PM
    myname150

myname150 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hahahah that is the biggest load of crap ive ever heard. Alot of these sales people just want your money. Like one time i called my local toyota dealer asking about rear lockers and ALSDs on the Tundras. i asked to speak with a sales rep, and all he did was just repeat what ive already read on the brochure and on the tundra's website

EBD (Electronic Brake Force Distribution) Helps reduce body movement when brakeing by adjusting how much brake pressure goes to each of the wheels, thus reducing stopping distance...

While toyota's ALSD (Automatic Limited Slip Differential) works by using the brakes and ABS system to apply brake pressure to the slipping wheel. So that the wheel with traction gets the power, not the one thats slipping.

You can simulate an LSD or a rear locker on a truck with out that, just push down on the parking brake pedal enough so it will grab and not allow the rear wheels to spin at different speeds. In essence simulating a rear locker. Ive tried it and it kinddaa works lol.

5. Jul 18, 2010 at 5:12 AM
    05Moose

05Moose Middle-Aged Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    In the snow (NorCal)
    Vehicle:
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 #8 (LSD, Tow Pkg)
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 (LSD & Tow Pkg), Timbrens, AAL, 5100s (1.75), Owned: 12/3/04 Mods: Fog, Map/Dome Light, Illuminated 4wd Switch, Washable Cabin Air Filter
    He's talking about how the 09+ tacomas all have a simulated LSD which uses the brakes (but that isn't the same as EBD). EBD has to do with braking, LSD has to do with traction during acceleration. Two totally different situations.

If you're looking at an '07 like you said, then it could have a mechanical LSD (05-08 Tacomas). The mechanical LSD has hardware in the rear differential, whereas the simulated LSD in later years doesn't. And if you're wondering about differences in the two, here's people's opinions:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/81272-mechanical-lsd-vs-auto-lsd.html

6. Jul 18, 2010 at 5:16 AM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    the mechanical LSD on an 07 should have a sticker on the rear diff that is white and has "LSD OIL" written on it. look at the rear diff from under the truck at the tailgate. like stated above, if it's a sport, it has the LSD

7. Jul 18, 2010 at 6:25 AM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    A mechanical LSD, like those made by Torsen or Quaife, cannot be disabled by a button on the dash.

8. Jul 18, 2010 at 8:21 AM
    kirkofwimbo

Member:
    First Name:
    Clayton
    Wimberley, TX
    Vehicle:
    ‘21 Tundra SR 4x4
    cool thanks for the info guys. i just found it kind of hard to imagine that there is a nice 4 wheel drive truck with open diffs but it is looking like that is the case, kinda pointless if you ask me.

9. Jul 18, 2010 at 8:25 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Not unusual. Nissan, Ford, Izuzu, Dodge all have 4x4 trucks with open rear diffs. I think Chevy is the only one that has a traction aid as standard equipment.

10. Jul 18, 2010 at 10:56 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    They all have open diffs unless you pay extra to get limited slip or locker. Nobody puts standard because majority of people dont want to pay extra. and the small % that buys them specifically asks either for limited slip or a locker.
    I have 07 and I specifically requested to have Limited slip (mechanical) I made salesman to show me on all invoices that truck has one.

Products Discussed in

To Top