1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

replacing front shocks

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by tacoinco, Jul 19, 2010.

1. Jul 19, 2010 at 1:10 AM
    tacoinco

tacoinco [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Amanda
    Grand Junction Colorado
    Vehicle:
    06 Off Road package
    ok so i need to replace the front shocks on my 06 tacoma.. i was told that i dont need to compress the springs when i do this and i also dont need an alignment after... just curious if this is correct before i get too far into it?:confused:
    it is the off road package if this makes any differnece?:eek:

2. Jul 19, 2010 at 1:17 AM
    YeahYeah

YeahYeah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Thomas
    (My Home - Murrieta, CA) Now, Alexandria, VA
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Pre-Runner
    mud flaps gone, second air-filter gone, DTRL, fog light whenever and work with hi-beams, cut exhaust (was wicked flow), flat black stock rims, ABS switch, cup holder led's (with switch), turning signal mod #45, Bilstien 5100's, grill mesh
    im not saying anything about compressing springs but i would def get an alignment after.

3. Jul 19, 2010 at 1:18 AM
    j1999t

j1999t Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Northern Colorado
    Vehicle:
    traded it in
    are you replacing just the shocks or shocks and springs... if its the shocks, the ONLY way to safely get them out is to compress them, if you were to take the shock out without compressing, you will get injured or worse... take it to a shop and have them compress the springs and put the old springs on the new shocks...

4. Jul 19, 2010 at 1:21 AM
    YeahYeah

YeahYeah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Thomas
    (My Home - Murrieta, CA) Now, Alexandria, VA
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Pre-Runner
    mud flaps gone, second air-filter gone, DTRL, fog light whenever and work with hi-beams, cut exhaust (was wicked flow), flat black stock rims, ABS switch, cup holder led's (with switch), turning signal mod #45, Bilstien 5100's, grill mesh
    i would do this. or you could buy a compressor and do it yourself. just don't get hurt :/

5. Jul 19, 2010 at 2:47 AM
    Fluffymonkey

Fluffymonkey Token

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 Trd Sport DC, 07 DC sr5, 03 Prerunner
    2003: Stock 2007: Avid Offroad sliders, 30% front tint, bed mat, Truxedo low-pro qt tonneu cover, aero turbine 2525 muffler w/ 8'' tip, AR25 Resonator, 16x8 Dick Cepek DC-1 w/ 265/75 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, 2010 headlights, ome 884 coils with .5'' top plate spacer, OME sport front shocks, bilsten 5100s rear, 2'' aal, locking gas cap, LR ucas, Viper 2-way remote start, afe drop in filter, Rocky locking bike mounts, gear chest, scangauge, pop n lock tailgate lock 2013: most things transferred over from my 07, 5100s @ .85 + eibachs and Toytec tps for 3'' front lift, wheelers progressive aal w/ overload; compustar 2-way remote start; Antennex shorty antenna, pop n lock tailgate lock with programmable key, seat covers, Toyota's crappy all-weather floor mats (should have got Husky's or Weathertechs), TRD skid plate, led light pods mounted in front bumper valence w/ Eyourlife wireless harness and remote, led bed lights, light pods mounted in bed, Devil Horns emblem from Diaz Fabrications, rear facing pod lights in bed, under seat lights,
    Yep you do need a compressor, and an alignment. I believe you can pick one up from autozone, but if you don't know what you're doing I would just bring the assembly in and have then do it for you (for safety reasons). lol

6. Jul 19, 2010 at 10:45 AM
    dalsmthme

dalsmthme Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ithaca, NY
    Vehicle:
    '09 Double Cab 4X4 SR5
    I would check the boards and ebay for a set of take off assemblies. I picked up new springs and shocks with only 380miles for $100 for just the fronts. Saves a lot of hasles and the hardware is all brand new. Just makes life easier and cost effective.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  7. Jul 19, 2010 at 10:47 AM
    SCFirefighter

SCFirefighter on idiot patrol ;)

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephan
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    Silver 2010 DC TRD Sport 4x4 5'
    MagnaFlow Performance Exhaust, ScanGauge II, Map, dome and license plate LED's, Custom Fire/Rescue decals, Weathertech deflectors, Removed mud flaps, Rear spring TSB, Spidertrax spacers, Tinted windows (5%/27%), Black Tacoma badges, 5100 Billstein x4, ToyTec Coilovers, ToyTec TSB AAL, Devil horns, Hose clamp tailgate mod, OEM bed mat, HomeLink module, Hardwire GPS, Weathertech digital fit floor lines, Front Diff drop, Rear Diff breather mod, 4xInnovation welded sliders, Pioneer AVH-X5800BHS+SiriusXM.
    You need a compressor. You can loan one from autozone for free. You pay a deposit which you'll get back when you return the tool with receipt.
    Be careful. These springs hold a lot of tension which can seriously insure you if something goes wrong.

8. Jul 19, 2010 at 10:49 AM
    flightcancled

flightcancled Addicted

Member:
    Syracuse NY/ Nantucket MA
    Camper top with racks, Custom fogs behind lower bumper. Interior LED lighting, Rock Lights, Hella 500s with upraged bulbs behind black billet grill, AAL, Front 5100s
    The replacement really wasn't bad at all when I upgraded my fronts. The compressor is a bit scary and all, but once compressed the coils are really snug. Once I started working with the compressor I felt pretty comfortable; especially when I realized that there was only 20-30 lbs of force on the top nut at rest.

9. Jul 19, 2010 at 10:51 AM
    dgr540

dgr540 I've got the FUNK

Member:
    Friendswood, TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 Wrangler Unlimited
    XDs Trail grappler 35x12.5x18 Winch 8K lbs Front bumper 4in Lift
    I did my fronts this past weekend. You definitely need to compress them. I rented a compress from the autoparts store, but the safty pins wouldn't fit over the coil so a guy at NTB did it for me for $40.

10. Jul 19, 2010 at 7:57 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    ^That's the way to do it if you're semi-competent with a wrench and have another vehicle at your disposal. Just pay a few bucks and let the pros handle the shock install and then put the assembly back in yourself.

11. Jul 19, 2010 at 8:30 PM
    SlurpeeBlueMetallic

SlurpeeBlueMetallic FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU...

Member:
  12. Jul 20, 2010 at 7:29 AM
    RockyTacoma

RockyTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dojo
    colorado
    Vehicle:
    2002 tacoma trd
    stock
    i have O2 TRD, my front shock has a leak. do i need to replace rear as well front shocks?

13. Jul 20, 2010 at 8:51 AM
    SCFirefighter

SCFirefighter on idiot patrol ;)

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephan
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    Silver 2010 DC TRD Sport 4x4 5'
    MagnaFlow Performance Exhaust, ScanGauge II, Map, dome and license plate LED's, Custom Fire/Rescue decals, Weathertech deflectors, Removed mud flaps, Rear spring TSB, Spidertrax spacers, Tinted windows (5%/27%), Black Tacoma badges, 5100 Billstein x4, ToyTec Coilovers, ToyTec TSB AAL, Devil horns, Hose clamp tailgate mod, OEM bed mat, HomeLink module, Hardwire GPS, Weathertech digital fit floor lines, Front Diff drop, Rear Diff breather mod, 4xInnovation welded sliders, Pioneer AVH-X5800BHS+SiriusXM.
    No, you don't have to. I would recommend it though, specially if you're going to put higher quality shocks in the front (like 5100's).
    Personally I would keep my set the same age as much as possible; same with tires. I always hated buying a single tire because I ripped one.

Products Discussed in

To Top