Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

replacing front shocks

Old 07-19-2010, 02:10 AM   #1
tacoinco is on a distinguished road
Name: Amanda
tacoinco's Tacoma Gallery
Question replacing front shocks

ok so i need to replace the front shocks on my 06 tacoma.. i was told that i dont need to compress the springs when i do this and i also dont need an alignment after... just curious if this is correct before i get too far into it?
it is the off road package if this makes any differnece?
Old 07-19-2010, 02:17 AM   #2
YeahYeah is one of the sharper tools in the shedYeahYeah is one of the sharper tools in the shedYeahYeah is one of the sharper tools in the shedYeahYeah is one of the sharper tools in the shedYeahYeah is one of the sharper tools in the shedYeahYeah is one of the sharper tools in the shedYeahYeah is one of the sharper tools in the shedYeahYeah is one of the sharper tools in the shedYeahYeah is one of the sharper tools in the shedYeahYeah is one of the sharper tools in the shedYeahYeah is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Honor Guard-Now out of Honor Guard getting ready for MK "A" School
Name: Thomas
YeahYeah's Tacoma Gallery
im not saying anything about compressing springs but i would def get an alignment after.
Old 07-19-2010, 02:18 AM   #3
j1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Justin
j1999t's Tacoma Gallery
are you replacing just the shocks or shocks and springs... if its the shocks, the ONLY way to safely get them out is to compress them, if you were to take the shock out without compressing, you will get injured or worse... take it to a shop and have them compress the springs and put the old springs on the new shocks...
Old 07-19-2010, 02:21 AM   #4
YeahYeah is one of the sharper tools in the shedYeahYeah is one of the sharper tools in the shedYeahYeah is one of the sharper tools in the shedYeahYeah is one of the sharper tools in the shedYeahYeah is one of the sharper tools in the shedYeahYeah is one of the sharper tools in the shedYeahYeah is one of the sharper tools in the shedYeahYeah is one of the sharper tools in the shedYeahYeah is one of the sharper tools in the shedYeahYeah is one of the sharper tools in the shedYeahYeah is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Honor Guard-Now out of Honor Guard getting ready for MK "A" School
Name: Thomas
YeahYeah's Tacoma Gallery
i would do this. or you could buy a compressor and do it yourself. just don't get hurt :/
Old 07-19-2010, 11:45 AM   #6
dalsmthme is one of the sharper tools in the sheddalsmthme is one of the sharper tools in the sheddalsmthme is one of the sharper tools in the sheddalsmthme is one of the sharper tools in the sheddalsmthme is one of the sharper tools in the sheddalsmthme is one of the sharper tools in the sheddalsmthme is one of the sharper tools in the sheddalsmthme is one of the sharper tools in the sheddalsmthme is one of the sharper tools in the sheddalsmthme is one of the sharper tools in the sheddalsmthme is one of the sharper tools in the shed
dalsmthme's Tacoma Gallery
I would check the boards and ebay for a set of take off assemblies. I picked up new springs and shocks with only 380miles for $100 for just the fronts. Saves a lot of hasles and the hardware is all brand new. Just makes life easier and cost effective.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:47 AM   #7
on idiot patrol ;)
SCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter: Firefighter
Name: Stephan
SCFirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
You need a compressor. You can loan one from autozone for free. You pay a deposit which you'll get back when you return the tool with receipt.
Be careful. These springs hold a lot of tension which can seriously insure you if something goes wrong.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:49 AM   #8
Addicted
flightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shed

flightcancled's Tacoma Gallery
The replacement really wasn't bad at all when I upgraded my fronts. The compressor is a bit scary and all, but once compressed the coils are really snug. Once I started working with the compressor I felt pretty comfortable; especially when I realized that there was only 20-30 lbs of force on the top nut at rest.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:51 AM   #9
I've got the FUNK
dgr540 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddgr540 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddgr540 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddgr540 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddgr540 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddgr540 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddgr540 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddgr540 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddgr540 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddgr540 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddgr540 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 91W - Medic
dgr540's Tacoma Gallery
I did my fronts this past weekend. You definitely need to compress them. I rented a compress from the autoparts store, but the safty pins wouldn't fit over the coil so a guy at NTB did it for me for $40.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:57 PM   #10
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
^That's the way to do it if you're semi-competent with a wrench and have another vehicle at your disposal. Just pay a few bucks and let the pros handle the shock install and then put the assembly back in yourself.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:30 PM   #11
FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU...
SlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SlurpeeBlueMetallic's Tacoma Gallery
Check this thread... new pics on page 9
Old 07-20-2010, 08:29 AM   #12
RockyTacoma will become famous soon enough

Name: Dojo
RockyTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
i have O2 TRD, my front shock has a leak. do i need to replace rear as well front shocks?
Old 07-20-2010, 09:51 AM   #13
on idiot patrol ;)
SCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter: Firefighter
Name: Stephan
SCFirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyTacoma View Post
i have O2 TRD, my front shock has a leak. do i need to replace rear as well front shocks?
No, you don't have to. I would recommend it though, specially if you're going to put higher quality shocks in the front (like 5100's).
Personally I would keep my set the same age as much as possible; same with tires. I always hated buying a single tire because I ripped one.