1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anyone lose ALL heater fan speeds, intermittantly?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by eltaco, Nov 22, 2010.

1. Nov 22, 2010 at 1:41 PM
    eltaco

eltaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Littleton, CO
    Vehicle:
    '07 4x4 DC Offroad
    I've been having this issue over the past couple of years... until recently it was only once every 9 months or so. Lately, when my blower fan goes out, it lasts for a couple of days and comes back on.

I've been reading that people are having problems with the blower fan resistor overheating, which causes their Taco to lose low-mid speeds. In that case, the Hi speed still functions. Unfortunately, my Hi speed is not functioning, which is pointing me to another component.

I'm going to try rip into this tomorrow night, but if anyone has some good insight for me, I'm sure it would greatly reduce my troubleshooting time. I'm thinking that I either have a relay issue, control issue, or bad connection somewhere.

2. Jan 12, 2011 at 9:28 PM
    EvilBetty

EvilBetty Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 Access Cab
    Visor CD Holder
    Had this happen for the 3rd time ever, tonight. On the coldest day of the year... while I'm at work. Cold ass drive home. Not happy.

Hasn't come back on yet. Last time it happened I just shut off the truck and turned it back on.

Have had the same thing happen with cruise control.

When I started my truck it was running. I turned it off because it was blowing cold. When I went to turn it back on it was dead.

I haven't check the fuse or anything yet this time. Because it's cold... and I don't want to go back out there.:mad:

This seemed interesting...
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/70275-fan-speed-switch-not-working.html

3. Jan 13, 2011 at 4:49 AM
    eltaco

Member:
    Littleton, CO
    Vehicle:
    '07 4x4 DC Offroad
    Seems that I had two posts on this same topic. I didn't get much help from the peanut gallery.

I did, however, dig into the unit while it wasn't working, and found out that it was the blower fan that wasn't working. Pretty simple electrical test... Pull the blower motor connector out and test voltage across the leads with the fan speed selector at different speeds. If I remember correctly, I was seeing ~12v through the leads on everything except for the OFF selection. If the motor is seeing voltage and not turning on, something isn't right with the blower motor.

If that's not it, let me know. Best to check it while its not running, so you have a golden opportunity on your hands, right now. It's under the glove-box on the passenger side... big round object. Should take you just a few minutes to get the connector off and check it.

Make sure your truck is powered on before you check it, and I'd turn the power to the motor OFF before replugging it... because I don't know squat about electricity, and wouldn't want to harm anything that isn't already broken.

4. Jan 13, 2011 at 4:57 AM
    eltaco

Member:
    Littleton, CO
    Vehicle:
    '07 4x4 DC Offroad

Regarding the above post...
    If you have one or two fan speeds not working, it'd be the resistor pack. If ALL speeds are not functioning, it's very likely that this isn't your problem. Still possible, but not very likely.

If you go through the check that I posted above, you'll know a whole lot more about your system. Since I've worked on mine, I think I can help dial you in on the problem if that motor doesn't seem to be getting any power.

5. Jan 13, 2011 at 7:05 AM
    EvilBetty

Member:
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 Access Cab
    Visor CD Holder
    I went out to troubleshoot last night and the blower fan started right up. So I went to bed.

Got up this morning and started the truck, fan dead.

Gave the blower fan a slight bump with my hand, and it came right on.

And I didn't think I did, but I do have the motor clicking at low speeds. Now that I know what's being talked about I think that sound has always been there!

Did anyone ever find the part number for the brush kit? Thinking about tearing it down and cleaning it. From looking at it my guess is that the brushes are wearing and letting debris fall into the bottom bearing.

6. Jan 13, 2011 at 7:27 AM
    eltaco

Member:
    Littleton, CO
    Vehicle:
    '07 4x4 DC Offroad
    I don't think that you can get a seperate brush kit for the blower motor. You can break it apart, and there's a chance that you can fix it... however, Toyota issued a TSB for these blower motors because they were causing so many people troubles. I opted to purchase the updated blower motor and hopefully be done with this situation. I've read posts where some people have fixed them, and others failed trying to do so.

My particular blower motor wouldn't start with a tap or bump. I also took it out of the truck and turned the fan to see if I could get it to start in a different location... no go.

7. Jan 13, 2011 at 7:55 AM
    EvilBetty

Member:
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 Access Cab
    Visor CD Holder
    My biggest concern with replacing (other than cost) is that I read of plenty replacing their fans, just to have them fail again in the same way.

Anyone have any luck getting this sorted out of warranty, but picked up by Toyota?

8. Jan 13, 2011 at 8:54 AM
    xOZx

xOZx Well-Known Member

Member:
    IL
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Double Cab SR5 4X4
    885x Coils, Bilstein 5100s, Deaver add a leafs
    Well I'll be a SOB! This morning on the way to work my 2011 only 4 weeks owned started clicking like the blades were hitting something only on low. DANG! Freakin brand new rig.

9. Jan 13, 2011 at 8:56 AM
    EvilBetty

Member:
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 Access Cab
    Visor CD Holder
    I didn't question it when I heard it from mine, because my old HILUX did it even after a new fan motor. I just thought it was supposed to sound like that. :mad:

10. Jan 13, 2011 at 9:08 AM
    Celtic

Celtic Tactical Trunk Monkey

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    McKinleyville, CA
    Vehicle:
    In the market for V6, 6MT 4X4
    Sold my 2006 V6 6MT AC Offroad like an idiot.
    Had this happen on my 06, it was the resister pack gone bad. They are aware there is a problem with it because their shop foreman knew right away what it was when told him. My Toyota extended warranty paid for it no problem.

11. Jan 13, 2011 at 9:58 AM
    eltaco

Member:
    Littleton, CO
    Vehicle:
    '07 4x4 DC Offroad
    I don't think you'll have any luck with Toyota covering a part that is no longer under warranty.

Have you read about anyone replacing with the updated blower motor and having a problem? I had read of issues with people replacing with the pre-TSB fan, and then having it blow out, but not with the new one... maybe I've missed it, though.

12. Jan 13, 2011 at 10:26 AM
    EvilBetty

Member:
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 Access Cab
    Visor CD Holder
  13. Jan 13, 2011 at 10:46 AM
    NVTacoma

NVTacoma Member

Member:
    My fan has being making the clicking noise on the two lowest settings. The truck is less than a year old. I guess Im heading to the dealership today.

14. Jan 17, 2011 at 9:57 AM
    threexcharm

threexcharm New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner SR5
    I replace the blower on my 06 yesterday. It was so easy, even an old fat man like me can do it. I got the fan motor for 52 bucks from Amazon.

I have a theory, but it is probably wrong. I have 110,000 miles on the truck. I have never changed the cabin filter. Is it possible that the filter became so gunked up (and it was, cause I changed it) that garbage is falling through the filter and getting into the impellers of the motor and causing motor failure. I got tired of driving around with a small rubber mallet and tapping the motor housing in order to get the motor to come on. My dealer said that it was the brushes going bad on the motor???? I kept the motor, because it does still work. If this motor lasts 5 years like the one I replaced, them my truck would be 10 years old. I won't be looking to spend a lot on the truck by then, because it will probably have over 225,000 miles. By that time I will be doing some serious thoughts about replacing the truck (maybe) :).

Joe

15. Jan 17, 2011 at 9:22 PM
    EvilBetty

Member:
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 Access Cab
    Visor CD Holder
    One working theory is that the the cabin filter clogs, putting excessive strain on the motor. This causes excessive wear of the brushes. Due to the mounting angle of the blower fan, this wear causes debris from the brushes to fall into the main bushing at the bottom of the fan causing even more resistance and noise to the motor.

Products Discussed in

To Top