Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

1st Oil Change - Yellow Milky Substance in Oil Fill Tube ?!

Old 12-25-2010, 10:02 AM   #1
ZanexGt is on a distinguished road
ZanexGt's Tacoma Gallery
1st Oil Change - Yellow Milky Substance in Oil Fill Tube ?!

Hey all,

I bought my 2010 Tacoma in October and just passed the 1,000 mile mark (1,098 to be exact) and decided to do my first oil change now instead of wait for the 5,000 mile mark. I do this with all my new vehicles and then change at the recommended intervals thereafter.

Well, bad news. Check out these photos. It looks as though there is water in my oil!

Also, take a look at the murky yellow haze on my coolant overflow tank.

So what do you guys think? Sounds like a bad head gasket to me. Any advice or comments are welcome and appreciated.

Thanks,
-Robert
Old 12-25-2010, 10:06 AM   #2
pataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud of
pataco's Tacoma Gallery
yep,looks like condensation has built up from somewhere.i have seen this before on the oil cap but no were near that bad.i would be headed to the dealer asap.
Old 12-25-2010, 10:11 AM   #3
Hunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter: Probie
Hunter500ky's Tacoma Gallery
dealer asap
Old 12-25-2010, 10:20 AM   #4
ZanexGt's Tacoma Gallery
Was just reading the following link, looks like I'm not the only one with this issue.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ller-neck.html

Some folks in that thread indicate that this is normal behavior for the Tacoma 4.0 engine as the Oil Fill tube is made of plastic and very long. Apparently, these two factors keep the oil up in the tube (and on the bottom of the cap) from heating up enough to burn off condensation.

However, if that were the case, wouldn't everyone's Tacoma have this sludgy milky oil in the filler tube and cap!?

Of note, I bought the truck on 10/21/10 with 59 miles. I only have 1098 miles on the truck now. I drive it almost daily but my commute is only 3 miles long, each way. Therefore the truck does not have time to warm up to normal operating temps.

If this is normal, then I can deal with it.

However, if this is a blown head gasket or some other issue allowing water to get into my oil system, I need to address it ASAP!

Thanks for the comments guys, I appreciate it.

Merry Christmas,
-Robert
Old 12-25-2010, 10:21 AM   #5
ZanexGt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorifuto View Post
About your coolant, it is winter. Coolant shrinks when its cold. Check that level again when your engine is warm. It should be at the max line.
That makes sense. However, what about the yellow haze on the inside surface of my coolant overflow tank? That doesn't seem right to me.

The coolant appears pink when the lid is opened.
Old 12-25-2010, 10:27 AM   #6
ZanexGt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorifuto View Post
Not everyone only drives 3 miles for a commute. As long as your engine reaches operating temperature on the majority of your trips, your issue will go away.

My commute is 12 miles each way and my engine does reach operating temperature every time I drive it. I've never had this issue.
True, commutes vary. However, in this post, the poster states he regularly drives 300 miles round trip and his engine exhibits the same symptoms.

But, with only one post, the sample size is small.
Old 12-25-2010, 10:33 AM   #7
buddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: 2nd Bomb Wing
buddywh1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZanexGt View Post
...However, what about the yellow haze on the inside surface of my coolant overflow tank? That doesn't seem right to me....
The milky or creamy deposit itself is fairly common in the oil cap area but the yellow color would be bothersome to me...what's the oil itself look like?

If you've had it almost three months and only put 1000 miles on it you obviously aren't driving it much. Drive it on freeway a while to get the oil temp up and cook off any moisture in it.

After you get it good and hot the coolant level should also rise a little as the coolant in the engine expands and overflows. If it's not up to the 'full warm' mark then add some.
Old 12-25-2010, 11:11 AM   #8
vbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shed
vbibi's Tacoma Gallery
It is you-re truck. Listening to this good, or stupid (however with good intentions) suggestions, ultimately is you-re truck. The outcome is up to you.
If you want one more stupid sugestion, take it to the dealer. This way will be documented, they may do a pressure test, and give you an educated reason for it.
Have a merry Christmas.
take care
vbibi
Old 12-25-2010, 11:18 AM   #9
ZanexGt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddywh1 View Post
The milky or creamy deposit itself is fairly common in the oil cap area but the yellow color would be bothersome to me...what's the oil itself look like?
The oil itself appeared to be normal as it was draining. Also, I did not notice the yellow milky substance in the drain pan.
Old 12-25-2010, 12:15 PM   #10
Dark Lord of the Sith
wrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Tech Insp: 404 ASB/4th CAB
Name: Ryan Mathis
wrmathis's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to wrmathis Send a message via Yahoo to wrmathis
normal
Old 12-25-2010, 02:43 PM   #11
shawnd2 is a glorious beacon of lightshawnd2 is a glorious beacon of lightshawnd2 is a glorious beacon of lightshawnd2 is a glorious beacon of lightshawnd2 is a glorious beacon of lightshawnd2 is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Shawn
shawnd2's Tacoma Gallery
It looks normal to me.
I too was worried about it after my first oil change, then I did a search and found that all kinds of people experience the same thing, especially those that have a short commute.

It can't hurt to ask the dealer, but I wouldn't let it ruin your christmas!

Shawn.
Old 12-25-2010, 02:57 PM   #12
Mod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Mod's Tacoma Gallery
It might be a factory break-in additive, for a new engine??.

Just a guess since some folks with new trucks are seeing the similar stuff, and it doesent seem to be affecting anything.

Condensation foam is normal on the cap,,but that stuff looks almost purposfull since it is so obvious.

Wouldnt hurt to get a dealer opinion, and then another.
Old 12-25-2010, 02:59 PM   #13
The Welfare Cadilac
Max-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Michael
Max-4_Yota's Tacoma Gallery
I would go see the dealer.
Old 12-25-2010, 03:12 PM   #14
The dog did it...I swear!
OffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: High Desert... land of junipers, sage brush, and lava rock
OffroadToy's Tacoma Gallery
That condensation is normal for our trucks due to the plastic filler neck...nothing to worry about. Like mentioned it mostly happens from short trips. If you saw it on the dip stick or in the drain pan when changing the oil it would be a concern.
Old 12-25-2010, 08:02 PM   #15
2010tacoTRDOR6spd is on a distinguished road
Name: Dave
2010tacoTRDOR6spd's Tacoma Gallery
My truck just reached the 1500 mile mark (2010 4.0L 6pd) so I decided to change the oil as I have a ski trip coming up and I figured why not. My plans are after this change to move to synthetic, but I read it shouldnt be done this early as the rings haven't properly sealed at this point.

However, I too noticed this yellow substance build-up on the inside of the oil refill cap, but no where else. I originally attributed it to initial engine bs, but it seems as though it is quite normal for our engine.

I will keep everyone posted once I do my second change to see if the problem comes up again.

-DS
Old 12-26-2010, 06:57 AM   #16
Mod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Mod's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010tacoTRDOR6spd View Post
to synthetic, but I read it shouldnt be done this early as the rings haven't properly sealed at this point.

However, I too noticed this yellow substance build-up on the inside of the oil refill cap, but no where else. I originally attributed it to initial engine bs, but it seems as though it is quite normal for our engine.

I will keep everyone posted once I do my second change to see if the problem comes up again.

-DS
If assembled and set up properly,your rings seal within the first 2-5 min of initial run time. the crosshatch pattern on the cylinder walls almost instantly lap the rings in. The initial run time is done on a assembly line engine stand or station.
Old 12-26-2010, 09:24 AM   #17
kessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to behold

kessler89's Tacoma Gallery
^too bad subarus almost never break
Old 12-28-2010, 09:14 AM   #18
kessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to behold

kessler89's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by alberta_taco View Post
^^^^ lol Very true. I am still wondering why i bought my taco and not a wrx...... Cause i do love my forester its has no issues what so ever and still is tighter than the tacoma and it has 100k km more......

i have been thru 6-7 subys, still have one and my g/f drives a legacy, only reason i got a taco was because of the towing
Old 12-28-2010, 01:39 PM   #19
TampaDude is on a distinguished road
Name: Steve
TampaDude's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mod View Post
If assembled and set up properly,your rings seal within the first 2-5 min of initial run time. the crosshatch pattern on the cylinder walls almost instantly lap the rings in. The initial run time is done on a assembly line engine stand or station.
Heh...reminds me of the time I went to Bowling Green, KY to the Corvette plant. The very first thing they do with each new Vette as it comes off the assembly line is roll it onto a dyno and run the sucker at full throttle to verify the engine's power output.
Old 12-28-2010, 02:21 PM   #20
PPower05 is a glorious beacon of lightPPower05 is a glorious beacon of lightPPower05 is a glorious beacon of lightPPower05 is a glorious beacon of lightPPower05 is a glorious beacon of light

Firefighter: IAFF 1664
Name: Perry
PPower05's Tacoma Gallery
It appears that you, good sir, have a head gasket issue.... Dealer ASAP!!