Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Paint the rims black or not?? What do you guys think??

Old 01-02-2011, 10:38 PM   #1
ChopperCam has much to be proud ofChopperCam has much to be proud ofChopperCam has much to be proud ofChopperCam has much to be proud ofChopperCam has much to be proud ofChopperCam has much to be proud ofChopperCam has much to be proud ofChopperCam has much to be proud of

ChopperCam's Tacoma Gallery
Paint the rims black or not?? What do you guys think??

Here's a pic of my truck, do you guys think it would look better with black rims or as is? (New wheels soon to come when I figure out what Im doing for a lift)
Attached Thumbnails
Paint the rims black or not??  What do you guys think??-img_0680.jpg  
Old 01-02-2011, 10:42 PM   #2
DonnoD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonnoD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonnoD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonnoD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonnoD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonnoD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonnoD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonnoD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonnoD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonnoD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonnoD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: don
DonnoD's Tacoma Gallery
im all for black wheels man. so yea paint them
Old 01-02-2011, 10:43 PM   #3
n00b
MJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: MJ
MJonAgs32's Tacoma Gallery
PAINT
Old 01-02-2011, 10:44 PM   #4
rbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant future

Name: Ron
rbeezy's Tacoma Gallery
i would say paint them black but then they wont match your tube steps. so i say keep it as is
Old 01-02-2011, 10:45 PM   #5
'02TRD will become famous soon enough

Name: Jason
'02TRD's Tacoma Gallery
buy new rims, and sell the stock. paint will not hold forever, and powdercoating costs more/as much as new rims. so if you buy new wheels and sell the old, cheapest option, best looking option, and longest lasting option.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:48 PM   #6
ChopperCam has much to be proud ofChopperCam has much to be proud ofChopperCam has much to be proud ofChopperCam has much to be proud ofChopperCam has much to be proud ofChopperCam has much to be proud ofChopperCam has much to be proud ofChopperCam has much to be proud of

ChopperCam's Tacoma Gallery
Ya I was thinking of just getting new one's, but still not sure what lift I want, thats the 3" revtec on there now, but want a bit bigger lift and some nice black rims, kinda like yours 02TRD....nice ride!
Old 01-02-2011, 10:50 PM   #7
mac360 is on a distinguished road
Name: Mike
mac360's Tacoma Gallery
I feel the same been wanting to paint mine but these duratrac's have like three huge weights on the wheels to balance them and I really don't wanna paint the weights. Plus this rain has made it tough to paint anything.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:56 AM   #8
BarkSlayer is on a distinguished road

Name: Jim
BarkSlayer's Tacoma Gallery
Too much black. It will look dull and slow - like a water buffalo. Never been a fan of black wheels on a black body.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:04 AM   #9
zx6rman96 is on a distinguished road
Name: Chris
zx6rman96's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac360 View Post
I feel the same been wanting to paint mine but these duratrac's have like three huge weights on the wheels to balance them and I really don't wanna paint the weights. Plus this rain has made it tough to paint anything.

Go have your tires rotated and balanced and say you want wheel weights on the inside, (sticky weights) thats what i did when i got my duratracs put on recently
Old 01-03-2011, 09:08 AM   #10
Boiling denim and bangin whores
Tacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clam Slammer
Tacomanator's Tacoma Gallery
wait till you get new rims
Old 01-03-2011, 09:11 AM   #11
hey...I can change this!
kbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kbp68's Tacoma Gallery
plasti dip them.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:11 AM   #12
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacomanator View Post
wait till you get new rims
X2. It looks good the way it is now so I wouldnt waste time painting the stock ones.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:15 PM   #14
Make mine a Double!
skistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud of

Navy:
Name: Mike
skistoy's Tacoma Gallery
Semi-gloss Black

OH Yea, these where painted sept of 2009. have already gone through 1 buffalo winter
halfway way through the second. paint is still fine, never touched up.

here is how i did them:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/whe...rims-easy.html
Old 01-03-2011, 03:48 PM   #15
tacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, Cutterman
Name: Tom
tacomathom's Tacoma Gallery
I had my steel wheels painted black last summer, so far so good. If I had the factory alloy wheels like yours, I would leave them natural.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:57 PM   #18
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam I am, green eggs and ham
VirginiaBound's Tacoma Gallery
I would NOT paint those wheels! The factory Tacoma wheels are goreous without paint, I always think that style of wheel painted looks horrible, and shrinks the size of your tires it seems. I would keep your exsisting wheels and save up for a larger tire. The look of a larger tire on factory wheels is clean and looks alot better than shitty spray paint on a factory wheel. Not to mention fading, peeling and what not.

Your truck looks great now, I wouldnt touch them!
Old 01-03-2011, 04:33 PM   #19
"f*#@ it, dude. let's go bowling"
ozark705 is on a distinguished road

ozark705's Tacoma Gallery
A couple of variables or rather opinions to consider (particularly my opinions)
1. If you have the cash, go with the black rims. Here are the one's I'm pining for, Pro Comp Series 98 Flat Black (huge perk is the cost): http://www.procompusa.com/prodDetail...21&plID=101830

Or you could go with the TRD FJ Trail Team Replica Wheels (~$250/wheel): http://www.earnhardttoyotaparts.com/trteedrewh.html

Another option is the TRD TX Pro Beadlock Wheel ($1,400 for set of 4): http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-6621865..._2140_17103718

2. If you are waiting to have the funds, paint the stock wheels. This is what I did. I was at first a little skeptical, but I am beyond please with the outcome. Super easy, cost about $30 for all the "items" to complete project and lot's of good write-ups on here, and good enough to hold me over until the funds are available. IMO, murdered out rims on black Taco's are the TITS.

3. As others have said, sell the factory wheels for funds to go towards new rims or future mods!!!

Good luck!