1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

09 Access Cab Revival Project

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Kailey Jo, Aug 19, 2011.

1. Aug 19, 2011 at 5:50 PM
    Kailey Jo

Kailey Jo [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Liam
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab TRD
    Here was the problems:
    1- Rear headrests blow.
    2- Stock sub is too big.
    3- Rear centre console is retarded.

Therefore I did this: (With help from this thread: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/55771-09-rear-headrest-removal.html)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now I had some new problems:
    1- No cover for storage
    2- Lots of holes
    3- No sub-woofer
    4- No seat belt keepers

For problem 1 I decided to build a cover;
    For problems 2-4 I'm still undecided.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. Aug 19, 2011 at 6:04 PM
    Kailey Jo

Member:
    First Name:
    Liam
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab TRD
    As I mentioned I decided to build a storage cover. The project is only halfway, however has reached a "functional" stage.

To start with I need the following tools:
    -Cordless drill/driver
    -Table saw
    -Grinder
    -Hacksaw
    -BEER!

And used the following materials:
    - 11 7/8" by 7" of 1/4" Plywood
    - 11 7/8" of piano hinge
    - 7 woodscrews
    - 7 self-tapping metal screws

Phase 1: Cut the plywood and hinge to size, screwed them together

Phase 2: grind down the screws
    [​IMG]
    I'm aware I chewed up the wood a little, but that will be covered once I upholster it

[​IMG]

Phase 3: file down the nibbley bits to make them smooth
    [​IMG]

Phase 4: Self-tapping screws into the truck
    [​IMG]

From here I need to find some upholstery to match the interior, then I will cover the hatch, latch, and the holes from the console. (I'll post picks once completed)

Gratuitous Action Shots!!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Aug 19, 2011 at 6:04 PM
    apotter

apotter Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma
    First post I've seen (not that i've looked hard) that has commented on how numb it was for toyota to put the center console in the back. the earlier edition genII's didn't have it. Who the %&$# needs a center console in a back seat? I took mine out..the thing was getting scratched to hell and nothing would lay flat back there. Once I finish training for a marathon (aka..have some gd time) I'm going to build a fiberglass cover.

4. Aug 19, 2011 at 6:08 PM
    apotter

apotter Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma
    Nice..I like the mod. Very functional and built through the enabling powers of beer :)

5. Aug 19, 2011 at 6:26 PM
    FY01CPO

FY01CPO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    CT
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4
    black tube steps, side marker turn signals, 15% tint and window strip, EGR vent shades, fighter pilot/cockpit mod, console and glove box auto on LED, anytime fog light mod, 3000k HID fogs, bed mat wing nut mod, locking bed storage bin mod, smoked tail lights, plasti-dipped rims, blacked out emblems, black tail pipe, tail gate hose clamp, rear seat utility/dog shelf with rear center console access door.
    Can't wait to see the finished product!

6. Aug 20, 2011 at 4:05 PM
    Kailey Jo

Member:
    First Name:
    Liam
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab TRD
    Alright, first of all, finding this stuff was a massive pain, but I ended up finding it in Ottawa at a place called "Rockland Textiles" if any of you plan to do something similar I recommend you check out your own local textile places.

New tools needed:
    Scissors
    Knife
    Carpenter's glue
    Spray Adhesive

New Consumables:
    Another 10 5/8" by 7" 1/4" plywood sheet (Everyone else just buy 1/2")
    Fabric

To start I added another 1/4" of thickness to make my new lid level with the stock ones in there I just used wood glue and screws:
    [​IMG]

Next I cut the fabric a little wider than the lid and started to glue:
    [​IMG]

Once that was done I left enough lip to wrap along the sides, glued them in place and trimmed the rest (the bottom is not covered) Giving me this finished product:
    [​IMG]
    You may note the left side has the fabric trimmed back a little more, this was due to some binding issues with the stock lid.

This shows the slight discoloration between the new fabric and the stock, but it was the best I could find in local stock:
    [​IMG]

Once I was done I decided to slip some pieces of the fabric behind the holes, figuring it would look better than an off colour patch:
    [​IMG]

And some finished product action shots:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next weekend I'll figure out what I'm going to do about the holes in the plastic, and some sort of seat-belt manager (suggestions welcome)

7. Aug 20, 2011 at 4:36 PM
    Raylo

Raylo Well-Known Member

Member:
    MD, USA
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tundra SR5 OffRoad; (2009 Tacoma - sold)
    All stock, except for audio and convenience add-ons
    I agree! I did all this to my 2009 2 /1/2 years ago! I also took out the rear seats and added a shallow Pioneer sub. Enjoy all your new space!

8. Aug 20, 2011 at 4:38 PM
    Raylo

Raylo Well-Known Member

Member:
    MD, USA
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tundra SR5 OffRoad; (2009 Tacoma - sold)
    All stock, except for audio and convenience add-ons
    I agree! I did all this to my 2009 AC 2 1/2 years ago! I also removed the rear seats and added a shallow Pioneer sub. Enjoy all your newfound space!

9. Aug 20, 2011 at 4:49 PM
    Leggo

Leggo slow is smooth, and smooth is fast.

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Newton,Ma.
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Sport AC 4x4 MGM
    Kenwood HU,Infinity Kappa speakers (x4), Infinity reference tweeters(x2),10" Kicker sub, Box by Subthump, Infinty Five channel amp,DVD anytime bypass, DTRL Mod, Xtang trifecta, Fogs anytime Mod, Bed Mat,Westin running boards, Console vault, Maglite mod, Weathertechs,Autopage remote starter, Power tailgate lock, HID Bi Zenon, Hella Supertones,Rain guards,Rear leaf TSB,Steering shaft TSB, Fisher Homesteader plow, 886 reverse lights mod, Redline Hood struts, Hankook Dynapro ATM LT265/70R17, power sliding rear window, Auto dimming/on anytime Bed lights, Blue Sea fuse panel & 100amp Breaker, de- badged,Rear headrest's removed, imMrYo mirror relocation,Homeroshi grill
    for the seatbelts, just put some velcro on the top of one and the bottom of the other and stick them together. Or, put velcro on the back panel and the seatbelts to make the stick to the back panel.

10. Aug 20, 2011 at 5:12 PM
    FY01CPO

FY01CPO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    CT
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4
    black tube steps, side marker turn signals, 15% tint and window strip, EGR vent shades, fighter pilot/cockpit mod, console and glove box auto on LED, anytime fog light mod, 3000k HID fogs, bed mat wing nut mod, locking bed storage bin mod, smoked tail lights, plasti-dipped rims, blacked out emblems, black tail pipe, tail gate hose clamp, rear seat utility/dog shelf with rear center console access door.
    You did a good job making it look really clean! I should have covered my dog shelf in that fabric instead of the rubber matting. Maybe I will one day if I come across some. I just don't like vacuuming hair out of that nap! LOL

Products Discussed in

To Top