Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Adding new tie downs? (D-rings)

Old 09-18-2011, 11:01 PM   #1
mirage2009 is on a distinguished road
mirage2009's Tacoma Gallery
Adding new tie downs? (D-rings)

I'm sure whatever I'm about to asked has been asked a million times, but please bear with me.

So I have a short bed tacoma and it has two D-rings at the rear end of the bed. A bit of a weird spot to put em if you ask me. But anyways. If you check the pic below there are also this bolts on the bed.

Basically what I wanna do is unscrew those bolts (like on the right of the above pic) and add additional D-rings like. I have about 4 of these bolts.

Now I have two questions.

1) How do I unscrew these guys? I got a torx bit wrench of mine and I couldn't get em to budge with all my fuckin strength. They are really tight! I'm guessing I'll need power or air tools? Is that that the only way?

2) Where can I get D-rings that will fit on those spots?

Thanks!!
Old 09-18-2011, 11:17 PM   #3
TnShooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnShooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnShooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnShooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnShooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnShooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnShooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnShooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnShooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnShooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnShooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed
TnShooter's Tacoma Gallery
Only thing that I can suggest is a long breaker bar/pipe to break those bolt loose. No idea why they are on that tight. If you have access to an air wrench it is WAY faster.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:10 AM   #4
Duae Rotarum per Sempre
canyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Dave
canyonchaser's Tacoma Gallery
I just installed a bed buddy - better solution IMHO.

For around $100, you get bed reinforcement plus three more eye bolts.

dp
Old 09-20-2011, 12:54 PM   #6
motopix is on a distinguished road
Name: Jeff
motopix's Tacoma Gallery
How do you get behind the bed at the cab to secure bolts/nuts?

In other words, tell me how you mount the bed buddy. And are those two cylinders/plates mounted above the bed buddy for bicycle forks?
Old 09-20-2011, 01:06 PM   #7
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I bought OEM D-rings, drilled out 2 of the water drain holes in the front of the bed and bolted them down to that. I used a backer plate on the bottom side of the bed, so far so good!
Old 09-20-2011, 02:56 PM   #8
shoebag22 is a splendid one to beholdshoebag22 is a splendid one to beholdshoebag22 is a splendid one to beholdshoebag22 is a splendid one to beholdshoebag22 is a splendid one to beholdshoebag22 is a splendid one to beholdshoebag22 is a splendid one to beholdshoebag22 is a splendid one to behold
shoebag22's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
I bought OEM D-rings, drilled out 2 of the water drain holes in the front of the bed and bolted them down to that. I used a backer plate on the bottom side of the bed, so far so good!
i was thinking about doing that, but the drain holes seem too far forward to be useful.
Old 09-20-2011, 03:00 PM   #9
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoebag22 View Post
i was thinking about doing that, but the drain holes seem too far forward to be useful.
I wanted them as far forward as I could get them. Perfect for securing a motorcycle in the bed where you want the straps to hold the front tire tight against the front of the bed.
Old 09-20-2011, 06:06 PM   #10
stretch85 has a spectacular aura aboutstretch85 has a spectacular aura about
stretch85's Tacoma Gallery
I have a toolbox mounted immediately behind the cab, so I'm planning to drill a couple holes for two additional D-rings in my bed just in front of the wheel well bumps on either side.
Old 09-20-2011, 10:30 PM   #11
mirage2009 is on a distinguished road
mirage2009's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU Taco85 View Post
T55 torx bit and an impact gun

That's exactly what I wanna do. I guess it's time to dust off some old tools. Also.. where to get those D-rings? Did you order them from toyota, or is it a commonly available part.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:16 PM   #13
DATZ WEAKSAUCE has much to be proud ofDATZ WEAKSAUCE has much to be proud ofDATZ WEAKSAUCE has much to be proud ofDATZ WEAKSAUCE has much to be proud ofDATZ WEAKSAUCE has much to be proud ofDATZ WEAKSAUCE has much to be proud ofDATZ WEAKSAUCE has much to be proud ofDATZ WEAKSAUCE has much to be proud ofDATZ WEAKSAUCE has much to be proud ofDATZ WEAKSAUCE has much to be proud of
DATZ WEAKSAUCE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by canyonchaser View Post
I just installed a bed buddy - better solution IMHO.

For around $100, you get bed reinforcement plus three more eye bolts.

dp
where can i get one of those?

edit: n/m just found it on google =P
Old 09-21-2011, 07:46 AM   #14
Duae Rotarum per Sempre
canyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Quote:
Originally Posted by motopix View Post
How do you get behind the bed at the cab to secure bolts/nuts?

In other words, tell me how you mount the bed buddy. And are those two cylinders/plates mounted above the bed buddy for bicycle forks?
Incredibly simple really - took me all of 20 minutes to install.
Mark and drill three holes.
Remove the channel across the top (five bolts) so the composite bed will flex a bit more.
Bolt the "Bed Buddy" in place - Starting with the middle bolt. There's enough room to get your fingers and a wrench back there.
Re-install the rail.

Easy, cheesie, japaneasy! (as my grandpa would say)

And yes, those are skewer mounts for my bicycles. You can buy the expensive Toyota ones, but i just bolted in a set that I already had using a couple of big, thick washers to grab the inside of the rail.

Here's a review of the Bed-Buddy (Not Toyota Specific)
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/394/18...dy-Review.aspx

dp
Old 09-21-2011, 12:27 PM   #15
motopix's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Incredibly simple really - took me all of 20 minutes to install.
Mark and drill three holes.
Remove the channel across the top (five bolts) so the composite bed will flex a bit more.
Bolt the "Bed Buddy" in place - Starting with the middle bolt. There's enough room to get your fingers and a wrench back there.
Re-install the rail.

Easy, cheesie, japaneasy! (as my grandpa would say)

And yes, those are skewer mounts for my bicycles. You can buy the expensive Toyota ones, but i just bolted in a set that I already had using a couple of big, thick washers to grab the inside of the rail.

Here's a review of the Bed-Buddy (Not Toyota Specific)
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/394/18...dy-Review.aspx

dp
Appreciate the info. I've been debating about adding rings to the front of the box (already have them added to the bed) and just using a baxley to haul the bike. The baxley's more secure but takes up more room then a bed buddy.

Couldn't figure out how to bolt stuff up front...But it does look like I'd have to forget about getting a tonneau cover with the bed buddy.

Another option I'm looking into is using the single e-track mountings for the front of the bed wall. With good backing plates and low enough, they'd be a lot stronger than a ring mounted on the front wall.

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/ma...loc-black-pack

As far as I can tell, you can use the various e-track mounts in the single plates e.g. clip in d-rings, straps w/d-rings, that sort of thing.
Old 09-21-2011, 03:49 PM   #16
Piratefish is on a distinguished road

Piratefish's Tacoma Gallery
I did this mod. All of my bed bolts were loose ! I mean like hand tight.
Old 09-21-2011, 03:51 PM   #17
the full Monty
Manwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Manwithoutaplan's Tacoma Gallery
I did mine but i didnt order the toyota ones and made it closer to the corner of the bed. I use mine all the time. Got mine from King bolt for 3 buck for both anchors.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:27 AM   #19
Duae Rotarum per Sempre

Army:
Quote:
Originally Posted by motopix View Post
Appreciate the info. I've been debating about adding rings to the front of the box (already have them added to the bed) and just using a baxley to haul the bike. The baxley's more secure but takes up more room then a bed buddy.

Couldn't figure out how to bolt stuff up front...But it does look like I'd have to forget about getting a tonneau cover with the bed buddy.
Baxleys are fantastic, but I doubt the Bed-Buddy would foul the tonneau cover. It sits below the Toyota factory channel used for the tie-down rings.

dp
Old 09-23-2011, 12:26 PM   #20
motopix's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Baxleys are fantastic, but I doubt the Bed-Buddy would foul the tonneau cover. It sits below the Toyota factory channel used for the tie-down rings.

dp
I see from your pic that the BB would sit below a tonneau, the problem I was imagining is that the part of the tonneau that attaches to the front of the cab would overhang too far and not let the wheel get into the BB's slots/wheel grooves.

But I've not looked at a cover like one of the Access rollups to see how much it overhangs into the bed.