Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Truck turns over and starts and then stalls out

Old 10-27-2011, 12:40 AM   #1
ruger1 is on a distinguished road
ruger1's Tacoma Gallery
Truck turns over and starts and then stalls out

A couple days ago i get in my truck and start it like normal and it turns over fine then stalls out. It did this a few times in a row. My check engine light came on at the same time. I call my dealer and tell him about my problem and he asks if i had a remote starter installed and i tell him yes. He tells me that it is a problem with the starter install and that the starter is interfering with the engine immobilzer.
He says that they can fix it on my dime or i can take it back to the installer and have him take a look at it. I tell him i will have the installer look at first.
So im sitting in the driveway and the truck wont start so i decide to start the truck with the remote starter and it starts right up. I put the key in the ignition and turn in to the on position and it stays running.
Yesterday i took it to the remote starter installer and tell him what the dealer said and he takes a look at his work. Everything is connected correctly. He got into the truck and turns the key to the "on" postion for a few seconds then turns it over and the truck starts right up, everytime. He then tried to turn it over quickly, it starts and then stalls out, everytime.
I had him remove the starter for now so the dealer cant say that its the cause of the problem. The truck is not starting correctly with and without the remote starter installed. I have an appoitment for monday so well see what happens.
The truck is not shifting properly when all this started. The truck will not upshift into 4th or overdrive unless i get off the gas. If i stomp on the gas it just bogs down and will not accelerate. Any Ideas?
Old 10-28-2011, 01:36 AM   #2
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
Good luck hope they fix it.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:46 PM   #3
Toddyhere is on a distinguished road
Name: Todd
Toddyhere's Tacoma Gallery
Hey Ruger, I'm glad I came accross your post. I have the exact same issue with my 08 Tacoma after remote start was installed. It is acting in the exact same manner. Did you find out the problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 09-12-2012, 12:48 PM   #4
tostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tostidos's Tacoma Gallery
The only thing I know is that if you use a key that is not programmed as a full functioning key this will happen. If you cut a new without a transponder that is programmed you vehicle will start for a few seconds then shut off. Are you using a newly cut key?
Old 09-12-2012, 12:56 PM   #5
Thanks for the reply. I am using the same key I was before the remote start install and it worked perfectly fine. It's my main key
Old 09-12-2012, 01:09 PM   #6
tostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

maybe your remote start tossed your key coding somehow?
Old 09-12-2012, 01:14 PM   #7
Ok thanks. Would the truck act like that is the key coding was faulty? Would I have to get it re-codes at the dealer?
Old 09-12-2012, 01:16 PM   #8

If i remember correctly you can do it yourself, let me se if I can find the thread. If you dont want to do it yourself you can get it done at the dealer but they will charge you for it
Old 09-12-2012, 01:20 PM   #9

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ogramming.html

hopefully this helps
Old 09-12-2012, 01:29 PM   #10
ds46000 is on a distinguished road
ds46000's Tacoma Gallery
I had the exact same issue. For a few days after installing the remote start, my truck would start fine when using the key, but as soon as I put it in drive and hit the gas it would stall. I would start again with the key, put in drive, hit the gas...and it would drive fine.

Before I even had a chance to take it anywhere, it magically started working again...and I haven't had a single instance w/ that issue ever since (and it has been a couple years).

I'm not sure if there was a "learning curve" so to speak, with the key transponder or immobilizer bypass or whatever, but maybe give it a couple days and see what happens before taking it in.

Hope you get it figured out.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:38 PM   #11
Thanks guys! Your time is much appreciated. I will look into ti key programming and perhaps cancel my appointment for Friday for Toyota to see if it 'fixes' itself. Much appreciated!
Old 09-12-2012, 06:14 PM   #12
Hey guys, thanks for the responses. My installer found the problem . . . Needed an EFI fuse in the fuse conpartment under the hood. It must have put the truck into limp mode. Thanks for all the help!