1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Truck turns over and starts and then stalls out

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ruger1, Oct 27, 2011.

1. Oct 27, 2011 at 12:40 AM
    ruger1

ruger1 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Western NY
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD OFFROAD
    rear tsb, bilstein 5100's all around, trd exhaust.
    A couple days ago i get in my truck and start it like normal and it turns over fine then stalls out. It did this a few times in a row. My check engine light came on at the same time. I call my dealer and tell him about my problem and he asks if i had a remote starter installed and i tell him yes. He tells me that it is a problem with the starter install and that the starter is interfering with the engine immobilzer.
    He says that they can fix it on my dime or i can take it back to the installer and have him take a look at it. I tell him i will have the installer look at first.
    So im sitting in the driveway and the truck wont start so i decide to start the truck with the remote starter and it starts right up. I put the key in the ignition and turn in to the on position and it stays running.
    Yesterday i took it to the remote starter installer and tell him what the dealer said and he takes a look at his work. Everything is connected correctly. He got into the truck and turns the key to the "on" postion for a few seconds then turns it over and the truck starts right up, everytime. He then tried to turn it over quickly, it starts and then stalls out, everytime.
    I had him remove the starter for now so the dealer cant say that its the cause of the problem. The truck is not starting correctly with and without the remote starter installed. I have an appoitment for monday so well see what happens.
    The truck is not shifting properly when all this started. The truck will not upshift into 4th or overdrive unless i get off the gas. If i stomp on the gas it just bogs down and will not accelerate. Any Ideas?

2. Oct 28, 2011 at 1:36 AM
    4Wheelin4Banger

4Wheelin4Banger Supercharged Toyman

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Ferntucky, NV Halfway between Reno & Falabama
    Vehicle:
    2011 4x4 Access Cab Supercharged Silver State Edition 245WHP
    3" OME lift 885s & Dakars riding on 33" KM2s
    Good luck hope they fix it.

3. Sep 12, 2012 at 12:46 PM
    Toddyhere

Toddyhere Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma
    Hey Ruger, I'm glad I came accross your post. I have the exact same issue with my 08 Tacoma after remote start was installed. It is acting in the exact same manner. Did you find out the problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

4. Sep 12, 2012 at 12:48 PM
    tostidos

tostidos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Apple Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 LT 6spd
    The only thing I know is that if you use a key that is not programmed as a full functioning key this will happen. If you cut a new without a transponder that is programmed you vehicle will start for a few seconds then shut off. Are you using a newly cut key?

5. Sep 12, 2012 at 12:56 PM
    Toddyhere

Toddyhere Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma
    Thanks for the reply. I am using the same key I was before the remote start install and it worked perfectly fine. It's my main key

6. Sep 12, 2012 at 1:09 PM
    tostidos

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Apple Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 LT 6spd
    maybe your remote start tossed your key coding somehow?

7. Sep 12, 2012 at 1:14 PM
    Toddyhere

Toddyhere Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma
    Ok thanks. Would the truck act like that is the key coding was faulty? Would I have to get it re-codes at the dealer?

8. Sep 12, 2012 at 1:16 PM
    tostidos

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Apple Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 LT 6spd
    If i remember correctly you can do it yourself, let me se if I can find the thread. If you dont want to do it yourself you can get it done at the dealer but they will charge you for it

9. Sep 12, 2012 at 1:20 PM
    tostidos

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Apple Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 LT 6spd
  10. Sep 12, 2012 at 1:29 PM
    ds46000

ds46000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner TRD Sport
    I had the exact same issue. For a few days after installing the remote start, my truck would start fine when using the key, but as soon as I put it in drive and hit the gas it would stall. I would start again with the key, put in drive, hit the gas...and it would drive fine.

Before I even had a chance to take it anywhere, it magically started working again...and I haven't had a single instance w/ that issue ever since (and it has been a couple years).

I'm not sure if there was a "learning curve" so to speak, with the key transponder or immobilizer bypass or whatever, but maybe give it a couple days and see what happens before taking it in.

Hope you get it figured out.

11. Sep 12, 2012 at 1:38 PM
    Toddyhere

Toddyhere Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma
    Thanks guys! Your time is much appreciated. I will look into ti key programming and perhaps cancel my appointment for Friday for Toyota to see if it 'fixes' itself. Much appreciated!

12. Sep 12, 2012 at 6:14 PM
    Toddyhere

Toddyhere Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma
    Hey guys, thanks for the responses. My installer found the problem . . . Needed an EFI fuse in the fuse conpartment under the hood. It must have put the truck into limp mode. Thanks for all the help!

13. Jan 2, 2015 at 10:36 PM
    Tacoma831

Tacoma831 Member

Member:
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Sport 4x4
    OME 886 Coils, OME Shocks, OME Dakars, Snug Top, De-Badged, ARB Bullbar, XRC8 Winch
    My truck has been doing this for a while and its getting more frequent, I have not installed any aftermarket electronics.

Products Discussed in

To Top