1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

scangauge II mounting

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by BatesY, Dec 14, 2008.

1. Feb 8, 2009 at 4:35 PM
    LonghornTaco

LonghornTaco Can you pass the bailout please?

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    Black 09 4x4 TRD Off Road Doublecab
    3" ToyTec coilover lift on Bilstein 5100s, Total Chaos UCAs, ToyTec diff drop, Scangauge II, 4D MagLite mounted on the drivers seat, Painted engine cover, Painted calipers (red), Painted skid plate (red) Valentine 1 radar detector hard wired, Damplifier Pro on the floor, back wall and doors, Luxury Liner Pro on the floor and doors, Kenwood DNX8120, 2 Pioneer TS-SW1041D 10" shallow mount subs, 2 Pioneer PRS-D4200F 1200W amps, Mr Marv sub enclosure, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5" components in the front doors, Alpine 5.25" coaxials in the rear doors, A.R.E. LSII fiberglass tonneau cover, All Pro bumper, All Pro sliders, Wet Okole seat covers, Sockmonkey Mountain badges, PIAA 510 SMR Driving Lights, Warn M8000 Winch, Bud Built skids
    Great idea! Did you have to modify anything for it to fit in there?

2. Feb 8, 2009 at 4:58 PM
    kubota man

kubota man Well-Known Member

Member:
    hazard ky
    Vehicle:
    08 trd off road dc 4x4
    call me stupied but i have owned my truck sence april of 08 and never new that flip down cubby hole was there as soon as i seen that pic a run out to my truck and sure enough it flipped down and i was shocked i thought it was a fuse box cover i wonder what to used it for noe i have my sacn gauge on top of my steering colume and love it there you can see it good with out taking your eyes off the road for to long thank for the pic. signed stupied

3. Feb 8, 2009 at 5:18 PM
    PropJet

PropJet Well-Known Member

Member:
    KS
    Vehicle:
    '09 DC TRD Off Road
    ToyTec Ultimate Lift Kit, Moto Metal 955's, GoodYear DuraTrac 265/75/16's, N-Fab Nerf Bar
    When you open that cubby, there's a "lip" of plastic molding that extends maybe 1/2" high (I don't remember, and I've already thrown that piece away). I simply cut that piece out, only as far back as I needed to get the scangauge in. Then I cut a small hole in the back for the cable to slide through. I used a Dremel for the job. You can also tell I had to cut a small amount away from where the upper corners of the scangauge comes into contact with the sides of the cubby. The width is perfect, so it fits in there nice and secure. I didn't need to use any velcro at all.

From where I sit when driving, I can see the scangauge perfectly through the lower left hand cutout of the steering wheel. :thumbsup:

4. Feb 8, 2009 at 5:36 PM
    aces2

aces2 Senior Arshole

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Hampton, VA
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 RR AC 4x4
    Flowmaster 40, K&N CAI, RED brake light bulbs, BHLM, Rear dif breather line, Factory Skidplate painted BLACK, DRL's, YELLOW bulbs in Fogs Turn Signals and Marker lights, Custom "Toy Machine" center emblem, Sockmonkey "Nor-Cal" decals all BLACK, Redline tailgate damper and hood sruts, Painted steering wheel emblem BLACK, 12V always on, Foglight mod, 16" Pro-Comp 7089 rims BLACK powdercoated acorn lugnuts, BFG KM2's 285-75-16, Painted exhaust pipe BLACK, BLACK emblems all the way around, Rear BLACK bumper from base model, Radical RED "sport" grille-surround, Factory Toyota Bed extender, RED maglight mounted on each seat's side, TRD ball-type shift knob, Custom mounted Scangauge II under stereo, Aftermarket HU, Hardwired Garmin GPS 260W, TSB w/AAL and 2.5" 5100's, Weathertech floor liners, Removed front mud flaps, 95-04 "4WD" rear mudflaps, 3rd Brake light "TACO", BLACK front lip
    Was it mine?

IMG_1053_9d4a462d0174cad7cb882f502eeb02c48334c60f.jpg

5. Jul 9, 2009 at 4:55 PM
    bermise

bermise Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD off road
    Total chaos spindles, Total chaos heim joint uca's, Icon E/T coilovers, Icon reservoir shocks, custom Deaver 10 leaf pack, 285/70/17 Cooper STT
    Any pics of it installed on top of the steering column underneath the gauges?? I was going to put it to the right of my clock in the dash. But I measured and it will require some cutting or grinding behind the dash.

6. Jul 9, 2009 at 6:15 PM
    bajamoon

bajamoon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    STEVE
    Whittier
    here is mine, can see it thru the steering wheel.
    [​IMG]

7. Jul 12, 2009 at 6:59 PM
    blackphantom09

blackphantom09 Newbie

Member:
    V.B., VA
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD-Off Road SB
    TRD Exhaust, Black badges, Jason Rage tonneau bed cover, TRD S/C, OEM roof rack, Avid Light Bar
    Has anyone ever thought of mounting the ScanGauge right under the AC control unit? I just ordered a ScanGauge and was wondering if it would work. Thanks.

8. Jul 12, 2009 at 7:09 PM
    Snipe

Snipe Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pacific NW
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off Road
    Yeah I did, will go get a pic in a bit

9. Jul 12, 2009 at 7:19 PM
    Snipe

Snipe Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pacific NW
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off Road
    The velcro included with the Scangauge didn't hold more then a couple weeks so I went to Home Depot and bought Velcro Brand/Auto designed for vinyl applications and it has stayed put for several months with no sagging since

[​IMG]

10. Jul 12, 2009 at 7:19 PM
    blackphantom09

blackphantom09 Newbie

Member:
    V.B., VA
    Vehicle:
    TRD Exhaust, Black badges, Jason Rage tonneau bed cover, TRD S/C, OEM roof rack, Avid Light Bar
    Awesome, thanks man.

11. Jul 12, 2009 at 7:22 PM
    blackphantom09

blackphantom09 Newbie

Member:
    V.B., VA
    Vehicle:
    Yeah I was wondering if the velcro would hold up. Is it easy to read the display from the driver seat?

12. Jul 12, 2009 at 7:33 PM
    Snipe

Snipe Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pacific NW
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off Road

Yeah that's why I went under the selector switch, it is easy to see and the buttons are just beyond the shifter so easy to reach.
    Now my eyes just glance down every now and then just like they do for any other gauge on the panel.
    The only time I can't read the display is if the sun is shining directly on the display panel.

You're gonna love the scangauge, it retaught me shift points and easily paid for itself with fuel savings.

Before I was getting 16 - 17mpg and after the install if I get below 20 mpg it's cause I'm playing around

13. Jul 12, 2009 at 10:05 PM
    #Reistlehr-

#Reistlehr- AngryTacoma

Member:
    Parsippany, NJ
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Grey Double Cab Long Bed SR5
    how do i get into the aux covers in the center next to the cig lighter and aux input. There are 2 other ports, and i had some ideas.. i cant get back there though.

14. Jul 13, 2009 at 6:00 PM
    blackphantom09

blackphantom09 Newbie

Member:
    V.B., VA
    Vehicle:
    How did you mount your scangauge?

15. Jul 13, 2009 at 7:28 PM
    bermise

bermise Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD off road
    Total chaos spindles, Total chaos heim joint uca's, Icon E/T coilovers, Icon reservoir shocks, custom Deaver 10 leaf pack, 285/70/17 Cooper STT
    ^^^Velcro or a blendmount are your choices^^^^

16. Jul 15, 2009 at 4:08 PM
    blackphantom09

blackphantom09 Newbie

Member:
    V.B., VA
    Vehicle:
    How did you mount your scangauge and run the wires if you don't mind me asking. I just got my scangauge and still deciding on where to mount mine.

17. Jul 16, 2009 at 5:29 PM
    crutch024

crutch024 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Fairfield, Ohio (near Cincinnati)
    Vehicle:
    2014 Spruce Mica TRD Sport Doublecab
    Pop & Lock 8521; Extra Power Outlets in Center Console; G-Tek Fab Door Sill Protectors; Salex Organizers; NFAB Side Steps; Weather Tech Mats
  18. Apr 15, 2010 at 12:12 AM
    j1999t

j1999t Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Northern Colorado
    Vehicle:
    traded it in
    i really like the location of this, could i get a few pics of this so i could do this mount too?

19. Apr 15, 2010 at 12:18 AM
    derekabraham

derekabraham Living vicariously through everybody

Member:
    First Name:
    TW'S Hippy Liberal
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2002 4x4 4Runner
    Stick on hood scoop from Autozone.
    Subscribed for future use!

20. Apr 15, 2010 at 2:35 AM
    ph16drive

ph16drive \m/.....\m/

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Clevelandish
    Vehicle:
    08 DC, V6, 4x4, 5-Speed Auto
    Shorty antenna, Pop-&-Lock tailgate lock, Undercover bed cover, Aeroforce Interceptor gauge (custom mount), bed mat, AFE Pro Dry S air filter, map light mod, suspension TSB, Billy 5100's all around, Eibach springs, custom fuel tank armor plate, custom cat armor plate, painted front brake calipers, Grillcraft MX upper grill & Hella 500s, ipod adapter, dash pushbutton garage door opener, aux reverse lights, custom ipod nano 4G mount, seatbelt chime mod, custom bull bar w/ (3) Lightforce 140 Lance lights, POR-15 Chassis Coat Black drivetrain, illum 4x4 switch, xtra bed D-rings mod, locker anytime mod, diff breather relocation mod, ABS disable switch mod, Heated seats
    No problem. What you'll need is some aluminum, some 3M VHB tape and a lot of patience as the construction involves a lot of back and forth from the truck to the workbench. Basically, start with a template for the arced piece before you cut out the alum.

The first two photos show the two pieces welded together. The entire construction involves (3) alum pieces. I suppose you could bolt the two pieces that I welded but you'll have to use a flat-head screw(s) and make sure they don't come loose (loctite) because once they're taped to the dash, you won't be able to tighten them later.

The welded-arced piece is mounted to the dash with 3M VHB tape. I forget which one I used but it was gray and I believe .045 thick. Do a google search and you'll have no problem finding it. DO NOT SKIMP - USE THE 3M stuff as I've never had this tape fail on me (i.e. in the sun during the summer, in the exreme cold of N.E. Ohio, etc) in many vehicle applications not just this one.

The most important and time consuming part of this is to get that arced alum piece to fit to the dash contours. You want the maximum amount of surface area to contact the dash with the VHB tape. I thought about using my kids play-doh to form the contour but ended up just going back and forth and back and forth like 25 times.

[​IMG]

The block (about 3/4" x 3/4" x 1/2" - I don't remember and can't measure it anymore because it's been changed for my Aeroforce gauge) is only tack welded to the arced piece. It's tack welded because too much heat will warp and change the angles of the arced piece that you've worked so hard to form to the dash.

When I reworked this piece for my Aeroforce gauge, I two-tone painted the arced piece to match the black/silver line of the dash and it blends in even more. See here: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/general-automotive/52493-new-aeroforce-interceptor-scan-gauge.html
    [​IMG]

Photo below shows the 3rd piece bent at about 100°. Heat this piece before you bend it to minimize cracking it. THIS IS WHERE YOU WILL WANT TO MOUNT THE WELDED-ARC PIECE FIRST (to the dash) BEFORE BENDING THE 3RD PIECE. Having it mounted will help you when you go to measure/test fit the angled piece. The bolt will allow for up and down adjustment but you want to make damn sure you have the left-right angle just right as there is no adjustment in the left-to-right direction after they're bolted together. Do this out in the sun too as I found that the back window would glare onto my gauge at the time so it helped me during fit-up to refine the right angle.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The ScanGauge below is velcro'ed to the bent bracket. I did this because I wanted to be able to use it to scan trouble codes in other vehicles so I thought it'd be nice to have it quickly removable.
    [​IMG]

Hope that helps. If you have questions just let me know. I'm typing fast as I have to get to work and Windows wants a restart.:D

Products Discussed in

To Top