1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2006 chasis rusted to hell

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by kyoung.709, Oct 5, 2012.

1. Oct 5, 2012 at 3:14 PM
    kyoung.709

kyoung.709 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    just wondering if anyone had any issues with there 2006 tacoma ??? i just installed a lift and the mechinac could not believe the rust under the truck ,the transmission line was rusted off and broke right when he was pulling it out of garage ,he also said all brake lines and backing plates are really rusted to hell ,anyone know if toyota will have a recall on the frames for second gens???? thanks.....

2. Oct 5, 2012 at 6:47 PM
    Asgard

Asgard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner DC SR5 w/LSD
    I have an '06 but no rust on the frame. You have any pics ?

3. Oct 5, 2012 at 6:51 PM
    burtonboards32

burtonboards32 Well-Known Member

Member:
    My frame looks pretty bad for a 2006 as well...

Usually when I complain about it on this site, a lot of brand loyal folks get upset about my saying that it is worse than many other older vehicles that I currently own or have owned in the past.

4. Oct 5, 2012 at 7:00 PM
    dave in maine

dave in maine Member

Member:
    First Name:
    dave
    mid coast maine
    i'm pretty sure my 06 has had the frame replaced, it was like new when i bought it two years ago and now it's showing surface rust.

5. Oct 5, 2012 at 7:09 PM
    jake72

jake72 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    N.E. PA
    Vehicle:
    2019 trd off-road dcsb mt
    I wouldnt buy any vehicle up north without having it under coated. I think all toyotas should include under coated frames from the factory.

6. Oct 6, 2012 at 12:15 AM
    Syncros

Syncros Well-Known Member

Member:
    Toyota trucks have had rust problems forever. Why would anything change with the 2nd gen Tacoma?

7. Oct 6, 2012 at 1:21 AM
    BAMFTACO

BAMFTACO Another day another beer

Member:
    First Name:
    Juan
    Woodlandland hills , CA
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma AC Prerunner
    Kings bruh
    Lol and op go to the dealer and see what they say.

8. Oct 6, 2012 at 6:28 AM
    kyoung.709

Member:
    i love the tacoma,dont get me wrong but you would of taught they would of fixed the problem ,when they had the recall on first gens.ill post pics when i get back from work in the next week. i will also be calling toyota but i know they will not do anything,but at least i tried right!!!!!

9. Oct 6, 2012 at 6:33 AM
    Failure2Comply

Failure2Comply Old HVACR Tech

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Virginia, USA
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Off Road TRD/SR5
    With the quality of these trucks it is the one step they are missing. IMHO

10. Oct 6, 2012 at 7:10 AM
    qnyla

qnyla Well-Known Member

Member:
    NM
    Vehicle:
    2006 & 2016 DCSB TRD Off Road 6-Speed
    Pics?

11. Oct 6, 2012 at 8:37 AM
    Highland Logan

Highland Logan UBIQUE

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2011 Black AC TRD Off Road w/ factory tow pkg
    Icon Stage 2 w/ overload left in, SPC LR UCA, 265/75 16 BFG KO2, front and rear Weathertech floor liners, OEM (Extang) solid fold tonneau, OEM bed mat, OEM front skid plate, OEM billet oil cap, "TOYOYA" tailgate decal
    Do you do any undercoating? You're in Canada, so I assume you live where salt is on the road for the winter months.
    Toyota did have a frame issue with the first gen trucks, but if you live in a place where salt is put on the roads, show me a truck that doesn't have a rust issue, Toyota or not. You don't have to look far in Nova Scotia to find rusted Chevy's, Fords or Dodges, from any year.

Frank

12. Oct 6, 2012 at 8:56 AM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch, Sherpa Grand Teton/Crows nest, Baja Designs S8 light bar, Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro fog lights
    It really depends on where it was driven to begin with. My 07 has been in a desert envirerment since new where lava rock is used on the roads in the winter instead of salt. It's been 5 years now and not one sign of rust (and the truck isn't undercoated.)

13. Oct 6, 2012 at 8:56 AM
    Highland Logan

Highland Logan UBIQUE

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2011 Black AC TRD Off Road w/ factory tow pkg
    Icon Stage 2 w/ overload left in, SPC LR UCA, 265/75 16 BFG KO2, front and rear Weathertech floor liners, OEM (Extang) solid fold tonneau, OEM bed mat, OEM front skid plate, OEM billet oil cap, "TOYOYA" tailgate decal
    The hard wax type stuff most dealers use is. It cracks and peels and moisture rusts out the frame where no one see it. And most only cover a rust-through. I had that on my first truck, and never again. I spent a month looking at different products before I got our Tacoma, and went with Corr 3000. DND did a study a few years ago and based it off an earlier US military study. It had the best combined results of all major products. Here is a link to a PDF copy, and a link to the Corrosion FREE website FAQ page. The first application lasts for 18 months, and they touch it up at a reduced price every 18 after that. I'm due in next week for my second application, and I've had no issues with the first.

Frank

14. Oct 6, 2012 at 9:01 AM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch, Sherpa Grand Teton/Crows nest, Baja Designs S8 light bar, Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro fog lights
    here ya go...
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/deals-coupons/227572-free-fluid-film-samples-here.html

15. Oct 6, 2012 at 11:57 AM
    RyanK1

RyanK1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Penticton, British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Bilstein 5100's @ 2.5, TSB rear with block spacer, Procomp ES9000's, CBI Moab 2.0 front bumper, swaybar removed, DIY HiLift mount, Rear diff breather mod, ABS Kill Switch, Flowmaster 40 series muffler, Superwinch 8500
    My 06 had a fairly rusty underbody, I just crawl underneath and wire brush as much of it off as I can and then follow with a couple coats of rattle can rust paint.

16. Oct 6, 2012 at 2:24 PM
    kyoung.709

Member:
    my truck has been undercoated since new ,i do live near salt water but i do expect what i pay for from toyota.....as i said before i will show pics when i return from work.....as for highlamd logan i can see a bit of surface rust but when everything is rusted to hell ,give me a break ,i have a 2003 ford escape and its not even close to the rusted frame i have on my toyota.......

17. Oct 6, 2012 at 2:42 PM
    Spoonman

Spoonman Granite Guru

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Alberta
    Do you live in Ontario?

It has everything to so with the salt on the roads, and nothing to do with any recalls.

My 06 is almost rust free. Been in Alberta since new.

18. Oct 6, 2012 at 3:29 PM
    Bloodhound

Bloodhound Banned from the Pics Thread

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    East Moline, IL
    Vehicle:
    '10 TRD O/R DBL-CAB
    Floor-mats, Running Boards, Shorty Antenna, AFE Pro Dry Air Filter, AVS In-Channel VentVisors, Beer cans in the bed
    I noticed something strange a while back: My 2010 is not under-coated, I just liberally spray the heck out of the frame and under-sides at a car wash when the weather permits (or as soon as it gets warm enough not to freeze up) and don't have very much rust at all. My buddies 2010 Tundra was under-coated (by the dealership) and the whole underside of the truck looks like it's rotting like crazy.

Products Discussed in

To Top