1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New to Tacoma....love it but a few complaints.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Dguy, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Jan 6, 2013 at 7:08 AM
    barker14

barker14 sexual ninja

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    Complete OME suspension with Dakar leaf pack. Clarion touch screen Sport hood Tri fold Tonneau cover
    Just look at it this way.. At least you have a good quality reliable truck. Some people have over 300 000 on these trucks with only routine maintenance. The problems with these trucks are very minor compared to some other vehicles out there.

2. Jan 6, 2013 at 7:09 AM
    anamorphic

anamorphic Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport 4x4
    Especially in the dark? You just making stuff up here? Maybe you've never driven in a white-out snow storm at 5pm (in the pitch dark) and reached for the 4x4 switch only to turn the heat up.

3. Jan 6, 2013 at 7:23 AM

127.0.0.1 AKA ::1

Member:
    /etc/hosts
    Vehicle:
    2013 NBM AC 4.0 4x4 Auto OR

why not do what happens naturally for someone with a memory ?

you get used to the truck, and you memorize where everything is. nothing needs to be lit up...IMHO

in my 4runner and yaris I can find any button, switch, cupholder, whatever, with a blindfold on. it really isn't hard to do...it just seems that it is easier to complain about non-existent problems for some folks...and yes I think that instead of complaining, search these forums for the tweak or fix because -every last thing- you could want or do is pretty much already DIY'ed here....

4. Jan 6, 2013 at 7:26 AM
    Joe D

Joe D .

Member:
    Sorry to hear you're not 100% pleased with your truck. Just goes to show almost zero, if any, products can be all things to all people.

Oddly enough, I'm on the other end when it comes to lighting. I like the dark cockpit concept when I'm driving in low/no light conditions and would like to be able to have no interior lighting at times.

Take comfort in knowing you own one of the most reliable and capable off the shelf trucks in this price range.

5. Jan 6, 2013 at 7:34 AM
    toyotatacomaTRD

toyotatacomaTRD Senior Member

Member:
    He lives in Texas and i imagine he assumes putting it in 4 wheel drive is just for wheeling. For those of us that drive our trucks in the snow 4-5 months a year, its really annoying that it isn't lit up.

6. Jan 6, 2013 at 7:38 AM
    Highland Logan

Highland Logan UBIQUE

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2011 Black AC TRD Off Road w/ factory tow pkg
    Icon Stage 2 w/ overload left in, SPC LR UCA, 265/75 16 BFG KO2, front and rear Weathertech floor liners, OEM (Extang) solid fold tonneau, OEM bed mat, OEM front skid plate, OEM billet oil cap, "TOYOYA" tailgate decal
    I disagree. This is a major purchase item, not some impulse item in front of the check-out counter at Wal-Mart.

If the OP payed out the big money to buy a truck without looking into every detail, I don't see him getting much if any sympathy on the internet.

It's not Toyota's fault these extras were not in his truck when he bought it... they weren't in any of our trucks either. It's the OP's fault for not knowing his truck did not include these extras.

It's a life lesson to understand what you're paying for. And that if you can't, don't complain to those who did.

Frank

7. Jan 6, 2013 at 7:59 AM
    stewartx

stewartx Well-Known Member

Member:
    Huntsville AL
    Vehicle:
    2012 Silver DC SB TRD Off-Road
    Winch, front hitch, step bars, bed extender, bed step, gull-wing toolbox, tailgate lock, security system, cb radio, etc.
    I've had my truck for a year and haven't had to feel around to find anything for some time now. I know exactly where to reach to find all the commonly used controls and drink holders.

As for an illuminated 4x4 switch, you probably wouldn't see it anyway since it's pretty much behind the thickest part of the steering wheel.

8. Jan 6, 2013 at 8:00 AM
    File IFR

File IFR "... Intercepting The Localizer"

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Central MA
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM 4X4 DC-LB TRD Sport
    I didn't consider my unedited answer to him (in your quote) as 'debatable', but sure, I'll agree with you as the purchase is not an impulse item.

9. Jan 6, 2013 at 8:05 AM
    pra4sno

pra4sno Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Collins, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB OR MT. Previously 2013 DCSB SR5

Look into a $40 fix provided by Flyzeyes. Excellent product and forum members write rave reviews.

10. Jan 6, 2013 at 8:05 AM
    Failure2Comply

Failure2Comply Old HVACR Tech

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Virginia, USA
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Off Road TRD/SR5
    OP, welcome to this great forum. What you will find is that passions run deep when it comes to people and their Tacoma. Great trucks, far ahead of the curve in most items but as with anything, improvements can always make things better. I just chalk it up to too much Saki while planning some of the minor details. :D

11. Jan 6, 2013 at 8:06 AM
    PSJ

PSJ Prerunners Work

Member:
    Sebastian Inlet
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab Prerunner
    Rear Leaf spring TSB, Bilstein 5100's all around w/ front set at 1.75", 265/75R/16 Mickey Thompson Baja STZ's, Trailer hitch w/custom wiring, AFE drop in dry filter, Rear Diff breather mod, Debadged truck, customized stock TRD wheel center caps, added factory fog lights, bed mat, door sills, tinted windows
    Not all trucks come with car features... none of the complaints in this thread have ever bothered me- :D

But I do wish it came with a lockable tailgate...:cool:

12. Jan 6, 2013 at 8:14 AM
    Highland Logan

Highland Logan UBIQUE

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2011 Black AC TRD Off Road w/ factory tow pkg
    Icon Stage 2 w/ overload left in, SPC LR UCA, 265/75 16 BFG KO2, front and rear Weathertech floor liners, OEM (Extang) solid fold tonneau, OEM bed mat, OEM front skid plate, OEM billet oil cap, "TOYOYA" tailgate decal
    You said
    And I never said it was debatable... I said I disagree... which does not mean open for debate.

He didn't do any homework, or he'd have known his truck did not have these must have extras.

And if he just shrugs off negative reactions to his obvious lack of attention when buying his truck as "oh, whatever", how will he ever learn from his mistakes?

We can agree to disagree... but I don't feel like debating it. This is my only point of view on the topic.

Frank

13. Jan 6, 2013 at 8:14 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    there is a hose clamp mod, cable washer mod pretty much free and buy a popnlock electric or manual lock for camera or non camera tailgates. Guy on here sells nice bar to lock sliding window too.

14. Jan 6, 2013 at 8:28 AM
    SpruceTaco

SpruceTaco トヨタ

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Clearwater, FL
    Vehicle:
    2012 Spruce Mica TRD Sport
    Tinted windows 5%, sill protectors, TRD stubby antenna, weathertech in channel rain guards, wheathertech floor mats, BHLM, Truxedo low pro qt, DTRL deleted, anytime backup camera, bed storage locks, fog lights on anytime, tailgate theft deterrent, painted engine cover, relocated horns, l.e.d bed lights, l.e.d engine bay lights, l.e.d lights above cup holders, in glove box, rear cup holder, in console storage & cubby next to steering wheel, Grillcraft grill, 17x8.5 SCS Ray10's, 35x12.50 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, Borla cat back exhaust, map & dome l.e.d's, TEQ badge on grill, Redline tuning hood struts, Maxtrac spindles, SPC Light Racing UCA's, Bilstein 5100's front set at 0 with OME 885's & extended length Bilstein 5100's in the rear, All Pro expedition leaf springs & 2" blocks, extended brake lines front & rear, 1.5" 4crawler drive shaft spacer, Beefed Taco carrier bearing drop, 1.25" spidertrax wheel spacers on rear, Kenwood DNX570 touchscreen with navigation, 30" led light bar in lower bumper opening, 1/4" top plate spacer drivers side, Bullet Proof Fabricating skid plate, Cali Raised ditch lights & Rago f Fabrication brackets, Amp Research power steps, smoked l.e.d 3rd brake light, Wet Okole seat covers, under cab LED'S tied to dome circuit
  15. Jan 6, 2013 at 8:35 AM
    KenpachiZaraki

KenpachiZaraki Its Wicked Flow BITCHES!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex •﹏•
    Lubbock
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD. 325/275/365 SBD
    ALL POSER- Afe Pro Dry S drop in filter, 3" AP leaf pack, Eibach w/5100's up front, 5100's rear, Fog Light Mod, ABS off mod, Dash Light MOD, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, Wicked Flow Bitches MAX Muffler, 4" floods, 20", 43" light bars, 265/75/16 Hankook Dynapro ATm, oil catch can, rear diff breather relocate, Custome Sliders, SOS concepts Front bumper, Demon Eye Mod, backlit TRD emblem on bumper, Morimoto D2S projectors,
    Damn you're better off just buying a Cadillac then. It has everything you ever wanted :laugh:

There are solutions to your complaints, that's part of the joy of owning a Tacoma. There are people who will help you with your questions to your mods. I'd like to see another forum with dedicated members and vast knowledge of our vehicles. Now if you want a mall crawler, then just buy a Chevy. I'm sure you had time to nit pick the taco before you bought it, but let me and everyone else tell you, you bought a great trucknd if you have problems, there's someone out here with an answer. Need not worry young padawan. Thy force is with you.

16. Jan 6, 2013 at 8:44 AM
    JakeyWakey

JakeyWakey Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Columbus, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    12' MGM TRD Sport AT
    ...Put a Buckeye sticker in the back window.
    I like the interior of mine just the way it is, I like the fact I had to get familiar with my truck. It makes me feel like I'm the only one who knows how to drive it. ..If that makes sense to any of you haha.

17. Jan 6, 2013 at 8:57 AM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Go buy a car.

18. Jan 6, 2013 at 9:13 AM
    2004TacomaSR5

2004TacomaSR5 Nemesis Prime

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma DCSB & 1980 Toyota Pickup 4WD
    Tacoma is stock and staying that way, Pickup is TBA as of now.
    There is a guy that did a writeup on here with pics on how to do a lighted 4x4 switch, I read it and it looks pretty straightforward. Check it out, sure you will be able to find it if you search "illuminated 4x4 switch"

19. Jan 6, 2013 at 9:16 AM
    ABA180

ABA180 It burns when I pee....

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    East Bridgewater MA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab Slider
    Pioneer CD, Megaloud/JBL amps, Rockford/Polk speakers.
    I'll take my Tacoma with its minor things over my old Chevy truck that puked half the engine at 75K haha

Welcome OP! It happens man, I didn't notice till after I bought it the no delay wipers. Easily enough fixed though, plus I like to tinker with stuff.

In the For Sale thread I found a guy selling LEDs for the cupholder and console, check it out

20. Jan 6, 2013 at 9:16 AM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    Welcome aboard. We can find faults with any vehical.... the one's on this one though are small all things concidered. Get out and enjoy your truck and don't dwell on the small shit. As far as not being able to tell when the fog lights are on you can go by feel... when they're on the switch sits recessed into the dash. There are mods you can do to get the 4x4 switch to light up, and once you get used to the layout it's almost impossible not to find one of the #&@$%#$ cup holders.

Products Discussed in

To Top