Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Strange noise from engine when shutting down 2013 Tacoma

Old 01-14-2013, 10:43 AM   #1
Agro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud of
Agro's Tacoma Gallery
Strange noise from engine when shutting down 2013 Tacoma

Picked up my 2013 Tacoma V6 on Thursday. I have about 300 miles on it and when I shut the engine down it seems that almost every time (sometimes it wouldnt do it) I hear this weird noise as something is stopping. I dont recall hearing this Thurs/Fri when I first got the truck.

anyone recognize it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpGYD9ahHeQ
Old 01-14-2013, 10:50 AM   #2
tsup74 is a splendid one to beholdtsup74 is a splendid one to beholdtsup74 is a splendid one to beholdtsup74 is a splendid one to beholdtsup74 is a splendid one to beholdtsup74 is a splendid one to beholdtsup74 is a splendid one to behold

tsup74's Tacoma Gallery
Not sure what it is however my 2013 does the exact same thing.

Somethings spooling down.......
Old 01-14-2013, 10:55 AM   #3
Professional Window Licker
fletch97 is a splendid one to beholdfletch97 is a splendid one to beholdfletch97 is a splendid one to beholdfletch97 is a splendid one to beholdfletch97 is a splendid one to beholdfletch97 is a splendid one to beholdfletch97 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Steve
fletch97's Tacoma Gallery
Not sure either but mine also does the same thing.

It seems like it's nothing to worry about since I've had my 2013 for about 6 months now with over 6000 miles and it's made that sound since day 1. Although I would love to know what it is....almost sounds like a (small) super charger powering down!
Old 01-14-2013, 10:56 AM   #4
sirwillysc is on a distinguished road
Name: Will
sirwillysc's Tacoma Gallery
I work at a Toyota lot in here in SC as well as just bought a new 13. every single one on the lot, every one that I have sold, and mine all do the same exact thing not sure what it is but seems normal if they all do it
Old 01-14-2013, 10:57 AM   #5
dtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant future

Name: Darrell
dtopgun515's Tacoma Gallery
Whoooooshhhh!! Same thing on my 13. Not sure what it is either.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:12 AM   #6
Member Caught Off Road
AWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
AWorthyOpponent's Tacoma Gallery
It's a smog pump vacuum thing for the emissions. Look in the passenger side under the hood. It's normal...here's some responses to it and a video of mine...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargechris View Post
Made it to the Dealer today.. Had the Tech listen.. right-away he said it was the "air induction system" and a normal sound... I asked if, in layman's terms, it was the smog pump? He said it was.

All is OK per the Dealer...

Hoo-Ray! (but I still don't enjoy the sound!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Smog pump.
Quote:
Originally Posted by samarchan View Post
I had the same issue and took it back to the dealership. They said it's normal its coming from the air pump.
Quote:
Originally Posted by selftaughtguru View Post
I have a '13 and just to confirm, in case you havn't heard it enough, it's the smog pump.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBGoode View Post
I noticed this same noise the day I brought my new 13 home a few months ago and reported it to the dealer. I ended up putting in a formal complaint with Toyota corporate and they sent out a factory rep to listen to the noise. The rep acknowledged the noise and confirmed it was the air pump but stated it was not a safety concern. I expressed my dissatisfaction that a new truck should not be makin...I kinda wish I bought a 12 instead of a 13 now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq7dH-1CYbs&sns=em
Old 01-14-2013, 11:40 AM   #8
nathan3306 is on a distinguished road

Air Force: AMMO
Name: Nathan
nathan3306's Tacoma Gallery
smog pump thing
Old 01-19-2013, 10:57 AM   #9
Arma1911 is on a distinguished road
Army:
Arma1911's Tacoma Gallery
Just returned home with my 2013 TRD. I was very surprised (and disappointed) with the engine noise when the truck is turned off. But I am relieved to hear from others on this forum that it is not a mechanical problem.

Since we are talking about engines does anyone feel that the 4.0L V6 is a little underpowered? I purchased the TRD off-road package because I drive a lot of unpaved roads in the WV mountains. But just driving on paved road I find that acceleration is a bit sluggish. Any thoughts?
Old 01-19-2013, 11:03 AM   #10
I bring the feel goods
TeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TeamSarcasm's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to TeamSarcasm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arma1911 View Post
Just returned home with my 2013 TRD. I was very surprised (and disappointed) with the engine noise when the truck is turned off. But I am relieved to hear from others on this forum that it is not a mechanical problem.

Since we are talking about engines does anyone feel that the 4.0L V6 is a little underpowered? I purchased the TRD off-road package because I drive a lot of unpaved roads in the WV mountains. But just driving on paved road I find that acceleration is a bit sluggish. Any thoughts?

There are many many threads on that, and someone will probably say "a diesel or v8 would fix the problem".

I test drove a few when I was looking for a new car a few weeks ago and drove it up a massive grade. Felt fine to me, it is a truck

Want to go fast sell it for a sport car, and welcome!
Old 01-19-2013, 11:03 AM   #11
Domreis is on a distinguished road
Firefighter:
Domreis's Tacoma Gallery
Mine does the exact same thing. I freaked me out the first time I heard it after bringing the truck home, because I didn't hear it on any of the trucks I test drove.
Old 01-19-2013, 12:00 PM   #12
oldtommyboy is on a distinguished road
Navy: ordinance
Name: tom
oldtommyboy's Tacoma Gallery
Wow,i must be getting old,I have the 2012 offroad and i think when i punch it, it goes like hell for a 6 cyl. Sets me back in my seat. And i've driven a lot of trucks !!!
Old 01-19-2013, 01:40 PM   #14
TRDfarmerTN is on a distinguished road
TRDfarmerTN's Tacoma Gallery
must be a 13' thing...my 12' doesnt do that
Old 01-19-2013, 01:50 PM   #15
H.O.G Hunter Of Gunman
82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3/1 infantry sniper plt reach out and touch someone
Name: BUBBA
82 yotaman's Tacoma Gallery
my 13' does that and before I took it home I asked about that noise and got the same answer its the air pump or smog pump no big deal I don't even notice it now
Old 01-19-2013, 02:56 PM   #16
MikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shed
MikeyMcFly's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I find it to be in normal driving, but if you really floor it, it's got more than you would expect (at the expense of feeling violent, but the bad violent, the "my vehicle is going to asplode" feeling).

That being said, relative to my STi, most vehicles feel slow to me.
Old 01-19-2013, 03:34 PM   #17
Arma1911 is on a distinguished road
Army:
Arma1911's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyMcFly View Post
I find it to be in normal driving, but if you really floor it, it's got more than you would expect (at the expense of feeling violent, but the bad violent, the "my vehicle is going to asplode" feeling).

That being said, relative to my STi, most vehicles feel slow to me.
Yeah, I have to admit i have been driving gently and the truck would probably perform very differently if I push on the gas more. The people at the dealership told me that it takes 500-1000 miles until the engine is "broken in". In the meantime, they said do not drive over 65 for extended periods of time (ie, highways) and do not floor it when accelerating.

Is this "breaking in" time for real? Anyone notice a change in performance after 1000 miles?
Old 01-19-2013, 07:16 PM   #18
Roasty is on a distinguished road

Roasty's Tacoma Gallery
Same thing I was wondering about I just got a 2013 it has about 400miles on it and i was hearing the same sound when turning her off. Guess its just normal good to know.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:26 PM   #19
Doc35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc35 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doc
Doc35's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtommyboy View Post
Wow,i must be getting old,I have the 2012 offroad and i think when i punch it, it goes like hell for a 6 cyl. Sets me back in my seat. And i've driven a lot of trucks !!!
Off topic but I agree. I chuckle when I read folks saying their truck lacks power, I've owned some real dogs in the past. The V6 Tacoma puts out decent power.

As far as the noise, it's just some smog control crap.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:28 PM   #20
H.O.G Hunter Of Gunman
82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3/1 infantry sniper plt reach out and touch someone
Name: BUBBA
82 yotaman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yeah, I have to admit i have been driving gently and the truck would probably perform very differently if I push on the gas more. The people at the dealership told me that it takes 500-1000 miles until the engine is "broken in". In the meantime, they said do not drive over 65 for extended periods of time (ie, highways) and do not floor it when accelerating.

Is this "breaking in" time for real? Anyone notice a change in performance after 1000 miles?
The breakin is real look in your owners manual