1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Advice on New Truck Order

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Loren2012, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Mar 7, 2013 at 3:56 PM
    Loren2012

Loren2012 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Loren
    Northern California
    Hello Taco Owners!

I am getting ready to buy a 2013. I was going to buy one last year but I found an old truck I always wanted so that took up some time and money. Now it is time for a new Taco… I am looking at a 4x4 TRD Sport with a towing package and 6 speed. Since I am getting ready to tell the dealer what I want I thought I would ask you guys if there is anything you wish you had ordered, or did order that I did not mention.

Some of the things I was thinking of is:

A security system. I am not even sure what that includes but I kind of want some type of alarm.

Performance exhaust… or is there a better after market? As long as it passes smog.

Maybe tube steps but I am sure there are aftermarket setups also.

I am checking out Costco to see if they can get me a deal on a Taco… I’ll be joining you folks soon! :D I have never bought a new vehicle except motorcycles, this is going to be a strange process I am sure. I am going to get the Costco price then talk to the local dealer and see what they can do.

Thanks!

Loren

2. Mar 7, 2013 at 6:35 PM
    Chapman

Chapman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2013 SW DCLB TRD Sport 4x4
    I haven't heard how the Entune JBL system sounds, but I agree with Beavis the stock stereo sucks.

I ordered my Taco just like your config, except it's auto. I didn't bother getting any extra options, even carpet, because I figure I can probably get the same parts cheaper outside the dealership. Convenience is the only drawback imo.

3. Mar 7, 2013 at 6:40 PM
    acdronin

acdronin Well-Known Member

Member:
    Welcome to TW!

Costco sells Tacomas?

4. Mar 7, 2013 at 6:41 PM
    acdronin

Member:
    Where in NorCal are you Loren?

5. Mar 7, 2013 at 6:53 PM
    maykevin5

maykevin5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Carbondale Illinois
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma SR5
    3 inch lift, stainless steps, JL/Focal audio sound system
    ya, pulled my radio out of my 12 about 2 weeks after i got it. entune would be a good option. Would not want to go with the Exhaust. Sounds too much like a tractor. V8 i would, but not a v6. Aftermarket steps would be cheaper and you can get stainless. Must have backup camera.

Also, if you never dealed with toyota, they don't budge much on the price. you might get them down $1000 or $2000 at the most. They are not like ford or GM with $8000 off or work them down say $3000 of the price. And if you have a trade, don't tell them untill after you come to a price on the truck. They won't come down much if you tell them you do.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  6. Mar 7, 2013 at 6:57 PM
    Snowbrdr1220

Snowbrdr1220 Well-Known Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    13 DC TRD Off Road NBM
    I got the new all weather flooring option, and love it. No need for carpet in a truck! Also got the all weather mats as well. I wouldn't recomend the all weather mats with carpet, they look really good but aren't very functional.

I think you can only get the all weather flooring by special ordering and waiting though. Also had 4 dealers tell me that the flooring option didn't exist or that you can't even special order a Tacoma, before I finally found one who was willing to do it and at a reasonable price. Don't take any crap from them telling you can't get something you want.

I finally quit going into dealerships and went to the phone lines after I knew exactly what I wanted, and it was a much more pleasant experience. Had 5 dealers working for me from the comfort of my living room, instead of getting jerked around for hours inside a dealership face to face with the sharks. Just make sure you get what you want, and pretty close to invoice. I ended up special ordering exactly what I wanted and got it for a few hundred under invoice.

Like the previous poster said you won't get huge discounts on a Toyota, like other makes. But should be able to get close to invoice for a reasonable deal. Don't let them take you for full retail, like some dealers tried to do to me. Let them know you've done your research up front, and should get a better price up front. As soon as I went to the phone lines asking for the sales department at different dealers the offers instantly got significantly lower and the game playing stopped, guess I look like a sucker in person or something! lol

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  7. Mar 7, 2013 at 7:00 PM
    rtn1911

rtn1911 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM 4x4
    My truck has the basic sound system with CD but it's a weak spot. My options are convenience, towing, rubber floor, and a few other things. Pretty basic, but it works for me.

I'm in Marin County. How about you other Nor Cal people?

8. Mar 7, 2013 at 7:01 PM
    acdronin

Member:
    Concord here, we're having a big meet and greet tomorrow in Dublin about 35 trucks will be there

9. Mar 7, 2013 at 7:05 PM
    rtn1911

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM 4x4
    Sounds good. Wish I could make it.

10. Mar 7, 2013 at 7:06 PM
    acdronin

Member:
  11. Mar 7, 2013 at 7:53 PM
    squatnbear

squatnbear Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TX pro MGM
    Make sure you get the tsb for the rear leaf springs done before you sign anything or they have it in writing that they will add the 4th spring if not some dealers suck at doing it others may just added no prob. Other than that have fun enjoy and gratz on a new truck!!

12. Mar 7, 2013 at 8:39 PM
    Loren2012

Loren2012 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Loren
    Northern California
    I'm on the peninsula close to City Toyota. The Dealer Costco told me to get a price from is Marin Toyota. I would rather buy the truck from where I will get it serviced. It is a funny thing... I have had my truck for many years and did all the work on it. I think when I get the Taco I will never work on it because of all the computer stuff. They sure have come a long way with reliability though...

I know what you mean about salesmen, they are a pain. My friend said to deal over the internet at the dealer... no BS. I have no idea why cars are sold this way, I guess they get a sucker here and there so that makes it worth it??

I read somewhere on the forum that you can not get the entune with a manual tranny. I may get an aftermarket if that is the case. Anything would be ten times better than what I have in my old truck now;) $2K for a sound system seems a bit stiff but I will have to see and hear it in person.

I did not realize the all weather was a whole flooring system. seems like a good idea to me. I'm in the dirt quite a bit. I'll probably go aftermarket with a lot of stuff because I like working on vehicles... it's a good way to get to know the truck.

What is the tsb for the leaf spring. Another leaf? or something to hold it together? Must be a recall??

I was wondering if any of you know how wide the 2013 truck is with the mirrors. The only thing I could find was 77" and I was not sure if that was total width. I may take a tape measure to the dealer and check it out. My garage is a double with a post in the middle and not very wide on each side.

Thanks for all the advice and info. I wish I could make it to Dublin tomorrow to check out some trucks.

Loren

13. Mar 7, 2013 at 8:54 PM
    MetallicTaco

MetallicTaco Taco Driver Since '07

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2013 DC SB
    TRD Supercharger Alpine INE-Z928HD, TT Image Dynamics Components, TT 10" sub, JL Audio 4/600, Alpine Front and Rear facing camera lic plates
    My 2013 DC SB 6 speed is about 4 weeks old now. I'll share some items I found when configuring my truck. As soon as you tick the box for a 6 speed manual your options are VERY limited. You want entune? Good luck, not going happen unless you order it special from the factory, a 6 speed does not come equipped with entune at all. The 6 speeds are very stripped down, yes u can get OR or TRD packages and Tow packages but that's about it. This was the case in my area, PNW. Since you are in Nor Cal, I would also expect this config as well for your area.
    I'd suggest buying TRD Sport and Tow, then get the bolts on you want installed by the dealer, i.e. quick shift, weather mats, etc. Then go aftermarket for your stereo/speakers.
    BTW I paid 29,900 for my 2013 DC SB Sport with quick shift and all weather mats.
    GL

14. Mar 7, 2013 at 9:03 PM
    Utard

Utard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Nyssa, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC LB 4WD TRD SPORT NAVI
    ------------------------------------------------------------ Stabilus.EZDown.Tailgate http://www.ezdown.com/home.php ----------------------------------------------- Tekonsha.Primus.IQ.Trailer.brake http://www.tekonsha.com/content/default.aspx---------------------------------------------------------------- Leer 180 CC http://www.leer.com/Truck-Caps#------------------------------------------------ Firestone Air Rite Air Bags--------------------------------------Kargomaster Rack
    The JBL sound system is worth it if you don't want to mess with stereos.

Try to get different tires before you leave the lot. Stock tires suck real bad.

The all weather mats from toyota suck. Do the weathertechs.

The power inverter in the bed sucks.

15. Mar 7, 2013 at 9:04 PM
    MrAntipop

MrAntipop Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Donnie
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    12 trd sport
    PlastiDerped Badges
    Alot of people say the stock radio sounds like crap which kinda surprises me cause i think mine sounds great its just a stcok in a 12. Im verry picky when it comes to music as i am a musician but stock sounds perfectly to me

16. Mar 8, 2013 at 5:31 AM
    rtn1911

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM 4x4
  17. Mar 8, 2013 at 5:48 AM
    maykevin5

maykevin5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Carbondale Illinois
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma SR5
    3 inch lift, stainless steps, JL/Focal audio sound system
    I agree here. Dealers don't have time to chat on the phone all day. They will cut to the bottom price thinking you have already been calling other dealers. They give you the rock bottom price hoping they are lower than other quotes or dealers.

18. Mar 8, 2013 at 7:02 AM
    Utard

Utard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Nyssa, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC LB 4WD TRD SPORT NAVI
    ------------------------------------------------------------ Stabilus.EZDown.Tailgate http://www.ezdown.com/home.php ----------------------------------------------- Tekonsha.Primus.IQ.Trailer.brake http://www.tekonsha.com/content/default.aspx---------------------------------------------------------------- Leer 180 CC http://www.leer.com/Truck-Caps#------------------------------------------------ Firestone Air Rite Air Bags--------------------------------------Kargomaster Rack
    Do you have the stock JBL with sub? I do it rocks. Best stock stereo i have ever heard.

19. Mar 24, 2013 at 11:25 AM
    Loren2012

Loren2012 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Loren
    Northern California
    Okay, things are starting to move on the truck now. I was wondering... what is the quick shift? I saw it on you-tube but I don't get it. It almost looks like it turns a 6 speed in to some kind of automatic. Can that be installed at the dealer if I do want one?

Thanks!

Products Discussed in

To Top