Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

General 2nd Generation Tacoma Questions

Old 04-04-2013, 11:58 AM   #1
chefnobody is on a distinguished road
Name: Aaron
chefnobody's Tacoma Gallery
General 2nd Generation Tacoma Questions

I posted this earlier but it may not have submitted correctly because I can't find it via search. I apologize if this is a duplicate. Just curious about the 2nd gen vs 1st gen Tacomas. I owned a 2004 and loved it but now I'm considering buying a used 2007 double cab with a long bed.

1. How does the VVTI V6 compare to the V6ís in the 2004 and earlier models? Will it be under-powered going up hills? I donít tow anything, but do drive up into the mountains here in Colorado. My 2004 was underpowered charging up I-70 into the Rockies. I'd have to push it hard to keep up with traffic and it would usually tack at 4K rpms, easily. Will my experience be the same with the newer V6 technology?

2. Relative to that, what affordable aftermarket modifications can be done to improve power if I find it lacking?

3. How does the long bed handle when off-road compared to the short-bed? Have you guys had any issues with the long bed when off-roading where you wouldnít have had them in the short-bed?

4. Anyone disappointed with the long bed and wish they had the short-bed instead? If so, why?

5. Can the Toyota factory roof-rails be installed on a taco after market or is that something only a dealership will do at the time of order? I donít want a roof-mounted after market Yakima or Thule set up, Iíd like the ones that are attached to the vehicle.

6. At 112K what kinds of service can I expect to have to perform in the next 6-12 months on this truck? Timing belts? Other?

7. How long can I reasonably expect to drive this truck if I take care of it? 200K? 250K+

Thanks,
- Aaron
Old 04-04-2013, 12:40 PM   #2
Member Caught Off Road
AWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
AWorthyOpponent's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...g-bed-4x4.html
Old 04-04-2013, 02:49 PM   #3
yota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: E.J.
yota243's Tacoma Gallery
I towed a 24' camper roughly 5k lbs. I left it in 4th (auto tran) and held it at about 60-65 for 80 miles and it never down shifted to 3rd on any of the hills I had to climb in north alabama to answer Ur power question I'm impressed.
Ur gonna have to replace a u joint in a year or so assuming ull drive 20-30k in that time most likely. And possibly brake pads. And id plan on a transmission fluid change if u don't know when it was last changed.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:12 PM   #4
SAY MY NAME
moondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
moondeath's Tacoma Gallery
Hey chefnobody. Just a suggestion, when you do a search just use google search and add Tacoma World in it. It works much better than the search function on this site.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:21 PM   #5
McBuckets
RockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Noah
RockyMtnTRD's Tacoma Gallery
My 2011 v6 has no issue whatsoever going up I70 in CO