I posted this earlier but it may not have submitted correctly because I can't find it via search. I apologize if this is a duplicate. Just curious about the 2nd gen vs 1st gen Tacomas. I owned a 2004 and loved it but now I'm considering buying a used 2007 double cab with a long bed.
1. How does the VVTI V6 compare to the V6ís in the 2004 and earlier models? Will it be under-powered going up hills? I donít tow anything, but do drive up into the mountains here in Colorado. My 2004 was underpowered charging up I-70 into the Rockies. I'd have to push it hard to keep up with traffic and it would usually tack at 4K rpms, easily. Will my experience be the same with the newer V6 technology?
2. Relative to that, what affordable aftermarket modifications can be done to improve power if I find it lacking?
3. How does the long bed handle when off-road compared to the short-bed? Have you guys had any issues with the long bed when off-roading where you wouldnít have had them in the short-bed?
4. Anyone disappointed with the long bed and wish they had the short-bed instead? If so, why?
5. Can the Toyota factory roof-rails be installed on a taco after market or is that something only a dealership will do at the time of order? I donít want a roof-mounted after market Yakima or Thule set up, Iíd like the ones that are attached to the vehicle.
6. At 112K what kinds of service can I expect to have to perform in the next 6-12 months on this truck? Timing belts? Other?
7. How long can I reasonably expect to drive this truck if I take care of it? 200K? 250K+