Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Oil Change Opinion

Old 02-21-2009, 06:19 PM   #1
silvertaco408 is on a distinguished road
silvertaco408's Tacoma Gallery
Oil Change Opinion

So Im due for my next oil change and have about 17500 miles on the truck. I have decided to change it myself this time and wanted to get some opinions...The truck has always had conventional oil in it and I am wondering if it would be worth it to swith to synthetic this go around. Does synthetic oil really make that much of a difference on are trucks? Thanks for the input.
Old 02-21-2009, 06:20 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Yes. Synthetic is better.
Old 02-21-2009, 06:20 PM   #3
Gringo Bandito
tcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bob
tcBob's Tacoma Gallery
Go with synthetic!
Old 02-21-2009, 06:21 PM   #4
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

If you have questions about the oil change, Check this out:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...tml#post124480
Old 02-21-2009, 06:25 PM   #5
AK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AK27's Tacoma Gallery
whats the benefit of using synthetic?
Old 02-21-2009, 06:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK27 View Post
whats the benefit of using synthetic?
It saves Dinosours.
Old 02-21-2009, 06:28 PM   #7
AK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AK27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
it saves dinosours.
lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-21-2009, 07:36 PM   #8
Grover will become famous soon enough

Grover's Tacoma Gallery
At 17,500, your engine is perfectly broken in. Now go to synthetic and it will run strong for 150,000 plus!
Old 02-21-2009, 09:28 PM   #9
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
I've used synthetic since 1500 miles, which was the first oil change, as I've done with all new vehicles I've owned.
Old 02-21-2009, 09:32 PM   #10
I sell fishing and fishing accessories
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
ive ran synthetic on everything i own...no problems and well worth the extra peice of mind
Old 02-21-2009, 09:46 PM   #11
cfenn will become famous soon enough
cfenn's Tacoma Gallery
Amsoil
Old 02-22-2009, 05:27 AM   #12
Joe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to behold
Joe B's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonTheDog View Post
I've used synthetic since 1500 miles, which was the first oil change, as I've done with all new vehicles I've owned.
Me too,except about 1000-1200 miles.
Old 02-22-2009, 05:59 AM   #13
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
Conventional -- It's been around forever. And it's cheaper...
Old 02-22-2009, 06:41 AM   #14
I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.
mws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
mws4ua's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
If you have questions about the oil change, Check this out:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...tml#post124480
I like that a thread I started (though contributed little to since) still gets linked. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

I say synthetic. If you're doing it yourself, it'll cost about the same as getting Dino at Express or somewhere like that.
Old 02-22-2009, 06:58 AM   #15
rabble rabble rabble
dud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Humane Officer
Name: Dan
dud122's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to dud122
i'll be changing my oil today too....

my truck has 89,000 miles on it, this will be the first time i changed the oil in it, and i have no idea what the guy who owned it before me used...

i bought 5 qts of the valvoline max life (for vehicles over 75,000 mi) syn blend and a fram oil filter because it was on sale at advanced for $20

i also bought a bottle of STP oil treatment to throw in as well

i know a lot of guys say full syn is best but what do you guys suggest using considering how many miles my truck has and the fact i don't know what was previously used?
Old 02-22-2009, 07:02 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dud122 View Post
i'll be changing my oil today too....

my truck has 89,000 miles on it, this will be the first time i changed the oil in it, and i have no idea what the guy who owned it before me used...

i bought 5 qts of the valvoline max life (for vehicles over 75,000 mi) syn blend and a fram oil filter because it was on sale at advanced for $20

i also bought a bottle of STP oil treatment to throw in as well

i know a lot of guys say full syn is best but what do you guys suggest using considering how many miles my truck has and the fact i don't know what was previously used?
The oil you bought will be just fine.
Old 02-22-2009, 07:05 AM   #17
rabble rabble rabble
dud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Humane Officer
Name: Dan
dud122's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to dud122
Quote:
The oil you bought will be just fine.

sweet...

is there much difference between oil filters???

fram seems like the cheap brand that you find everywhere and i like the convenience of the nut on the K&N ones but are there any better performing ones?
Old 02-22-2009, 07:07 AM   #18
Joe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to behold
Joe B's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
sweet...

fram seems like the cheap brand that you find everywhere and i like the convenience of the nut on the K&N ones but are there any better performing ones?
This site should answer any questions on oils,filters etc.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php
Old 02-22-2009, 07:09 AM   #19

Quote:
sweet...

Personally, I have always liked the OEM filters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe B View Post
This site should answer any questions on oils,filters etc.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php
Best info on here.
Old 02-22-2009, 08:15 AM   #20
Snipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Snipe's Tacoma Gallery
Changing oil on a regular schedule is one of the best things you can do for your truck and it's a habit that Dad got me into with my first vehicle years ago.
The International Travelall he passed on to me had 285,000 on it when I sold it and it would only burn a pint between oil changes, my first new truck was a 79 with the 20R an went well over 200,000 before I started having to top it off with a little between changes, I've had lots of friends who had way less miles on their trucks that started burning oil well before the 100,000 mark because they only changed oil whenever they got around too it.

My 08 V6 is such a pleasure to change over my old 3.0 4 Runner since they changed the location of the filter, that 4 Runner was a pain in the ass to put it mildly but even it got changed regularly and at 140,000 when I traded it in it didn't burn a drop.

I use conventional oil cause I change mine between 2500 an 3000 and can't justify the price of synthetics with that schedule but it works for me.