1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Looking to do some mods -need good advice

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by carneya1, Jul 16, 2013.

1. Jul 16, 2013 at 6:12 AM
    carneya1

carneya1 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    mississippi
    Vehicle:
    2006 tacoma 4x4 trd offroad
    Touch screen radio/DVD , 6" lift, bmf novakane 20" rims, 305/55/20 nitto terra grapplers, roof rack, sportsman camo seat covers, black headlights, black emblems, window visors, toolbox, leather, bed extender, running boards, tint, color matched door handles tailgate handles and mirrors, sport hood colormatched, trex eyelids,
    First all I have a 2006 crew cab tacoma trd offroad 4x4 silver. The shop in my town is offering a rough country 4" or 6" suspension lift http://www.roughcountry.com/toyota-suspension-lift-kit-747-20.html
    Install for 1700$ but I know that add a leaf in rear and coil overs in front would be a better ride! Now don't have a ton of extra cash cuz have baby due in December but I want to get my truck lookin good, so I wanting 4-6" with 33s-295 what are some good lifts to look at that maybe isnt 2000$(before installed)

image.jpg

2. Jul 16, 2013 at 6:19 AM
    carneya1

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    mississippi
    Vehicle:
    Touch screen radio/DVD , 6" lift, bmf novakane 20" rims, 305/55/20 nitto terra grapplers, roof rack, sportsman camo seat covers, black headlights, black emblems, window visors, toolbox, leather, bed extender, running boards, tint, color matched door handles tailgate handles and mirrors, sport hood colormatched, trex eyelids,
    Also with getting that lift can I just buy a set of coil overs for front and take off that above coil lift or would I have to change out alot of other parts also ?

3. Jul 16, 2013 at 6:37 AM
    JdevTac

JdevTac Bawnjourno

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    GA/WA
    Vehicle:
    2nd gen
    You will see majority of people on this forum come in and persuade you NOT to buy a drop bracket lift. In many cases they may reduce clearance unless you run huge tires. And you will have to cut the front cross member. IF you are set on that route, lots of people seem to love the RCD 4" lift, and can vouch for it being quality parts.

If you are not going offroad and are deadset on the drop bracket then thats fine, many people still run them.

Take a look at wheelers: They have a many of the more popular setups people run on here.

Otherwise search around this forum 2nd gen section and you will see the lift question has been asked a lot.

4. Jul 16, 2013 at 6:59 AM
    carneya1

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    mississippi
    Vehicle:
    Thanks , I am not set on anythin just yet, it's goin to be my everyday truck so won't be going offroad except at hunting land maybe few times lightly, I just wanna get the look an height and put 33s or 295s on it but I don't wanna hve a horrible stuff ride, I know coilovers are the best just so expensive an with baby due can't drop that much right now just on lift

5. Jul 16, 2013 at 9:10 PM
    JdevTac

JdevTac Bawnjourno

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    GA/WA
    Vehicle:
    2nd gen
    If you want to run just 33's, I'd suggest the 4" RCD lift. I don't remember specific pricing, so it may be higher than what you were looking to do. It is made to run 33's (may require very MINIMAL trimming of some items for full articulation) whereas 6" lifts look best with/are designed for 35's.

Or you can save up and just put together a great suspension later on. Truck is plenty capable in stock form. And for example...OME full lift kit is right in the $1200 range and is a great 2.5-3inch lift that can accommodate 285's with some trimming and looks good.

Probably some good info in here:
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/98012-rcd-club-how-many.html

Last edited: Jul 16, 2013
  6. Jul 16, 2013 at 9:21 PM
    Mr. Biscuits

Mr. Biscuits gentleman and a scholar

Member:
    First Name:
    Brennen
    Eugene, OR
    Vehicle:
    2000 PreRunner TRD V6
    - OME suspension - Custom front/rear tube bumpers - 33x12.5r15 BFG KOs - Deckplate mod + AFE reusable filter - Aero Turbine 2525 exhaust, chopped before leaf spring - Toyota Horns emblem by Diaz Fabrication - Pioneer stereo and new speakers + 10" sub - camper shell
    maxtrac 4" spindles + new coilovers + new rear leaf pack of your choice

7. Jul 16, 2013 at 9:28 PM
    JdevTac

JdevTac Bawnjourno

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    GA/WA
    Vehicle:
    2nd gen
    He's 4x4, so no on the spindles

8. Jul 16, 2013 at 9:30 PM
    TCprerunner

TCprerunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    For that price you could get a really nice coil over setup that would be my recommendation.

9. Jul 17, 2013 at 9:59 PM
    carneya1

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    mississippi
    Vehicle:
    all the prices i have seen on 6' coilovers alone are 1500$ thats not including rear. unless i have been lookin at wrong places online lol

10. Jul 17, 2013 at 10:08 PM
    TCprerunner

Member:
    Full coil over set up with aal and new rear shocks all fox

image-23_5c85fadbb1cb64967f5cdc1e611e4e7bd4ac82dc.jpg

May be a tad more but a lot better setup if you ask me

11. Jul 17, 2013 at 10:16 PM
    adriancast

adriancast Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adrian
    Ontario, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off-Road
    -2.5 Donahoe Coilovers -All Pro Standard Leaf Pack -All Pro U Bolt Flip Kit -Front/RearWheeler Super Bumps -Extended rear Bilstein 5100s -Flowmaster 40 Series -All Pro IFS Skid -All Pro Transmission Skid -Bruteforce Hybrid Bumper -30" Double Row LED bar -400 Watt Anytime -TRD Seat Covers -ABS Kill Switch -Locking Center Console Mod -Rear Differential Breather -BHLM -Anytime Fog Light Mod -Toyota Hilux Snorkel
    I think 6 inch lift is ugly. Mostly 2WD guys do that just for looks.

12. Jul 17, 2013 at 10:17 PM
    adriancast

adriancast Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adrian
    Ontario, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off-Road
    -2.5 Donahoe Coilovers -All Pro Standard Leaf Pack -All Pro U Bolt Flip Kit -Front/RearWheeler Super Bumps -Extended rear Bilstein 5100s -Flowmaster 40 Series -All Pro IFS Skid -All Pro Transmission Skid -Bruteforce Hybrid Bumper -30" Double Row LED bar -400 Watt Anytime -TRD Seat Covers -ABS Kill Switch -Locking Center Console Mod -Rear Differential Breather -BHLM -Anytime Fog Light Mod -Toyota Hilux Snorkel
    I have 2.5 inch with add a leaf with 285/75/16 BFGs A/Ts I get a lot of compliments.

[​IMG]

13. Jul 18, 2013 at 9:42 AM
    carneya1

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    mississippi
    Vehicle:
    what website is that and how much lift is that?? and is that everything ill need or are there other parts to order also? i would be happy with a 4' coilover lift i just need to know evrything i need to buy. i wont be offroading much since cant afford to tear anything up right now and its everyday vehical and with baby riding in back seat lol thatnk yall for the help btw

14. Jul 18, 2013 at 9:45 AM
    carneya1

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    mississippi
    Vehicle:
    mine has the horrible (lol) spacer 2' lift and blocks right now (leveling kit) but i want lil more height for looks and fit 33s since it wil be my everyday ride just tryin make it look good but also ride smooth and if i do decide to offroad one day then itll be able to and good resale value for when i can afford a 2013 tacoma crewcab

15. Jul 18, 2013 at 10:51 PM
    Mr. Biscuits

Mr. Biscuits gentleman and a scholar

Member:
    First Name:
    Brennen
    Eugene, OR
    Vehicle:
    2000 PreRunner TRD V6
    - OME suspension - Custom front/rear tube bumpers - 33x12.5r15 BFG KOs - Deckplate mod + AFE reusable filter - Aero Turbine 2525 exhaust, chopped before leaf spring - Toyota Horns emblem by Diaz Fabrication - Pioneer stereo and new speakers + 10" sub - camper shell
    you're going to have to top out at 3" of lift. without slapping an expensive drop bracket on it or a ridiculous body lift, it's basically the max for these trucks, and for good reason; a 3" suspension lift will be more capable than a 6" DB lift plus have a lower center of gravity.

plus fitting 33" tires almost ALWAYS requires trimming of sorts. don't worry about it, everyone trims.... eventually

16. Jul 19, 2013 at 1:48 AM
    carneya1

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    mississippi
    Vehicle:
    Tcprerunner what website is that and would that be the only three things I need to buy, cuz it seems like in the kits there are alot more peices involved to lift it? And how much lift is that?

17. Jul 19, 2013 at 7:02 AM
    TCprerunner

Member:
    http://sdhqoffroad.com/

And yes that is all you need aal gives you rear lift and the coil overs give you front it is max 3" but you won't even need that to clear 33" tires.. This setup will work q0x better then a db lift .. Only other thing you may need is extended brake lines and if you do the Max 3" you will need aftermarket uca's to correct alignment issues..

18. Jul 19, 2013 at 7:03 AM
    TCprerunner

Member:
    Call and talk to the guys at sdhq tell them you heard if them on tacoma world they will treat you great and help you get the perfect setup for you

19. Jul 19, 2013 at 4:16 PM
    carneya1

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    mississippi
    Vehicle:
    Ok thanks

Products Discussed in

To Top