Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

How to move USB plug to console with AUX intact

Old 07-16-2013, 09:35 PM   #1
RobAF is on a distinguished road
Name: Rob
RobAF's Tacoma Gallery
Post How to move USB plug to console with AUX intact

I was looking into this before I even got my 2013 Tacoma a couple weeks ago and didn't find much on a how to with pics. Others seem to have the same concern I do with music sources being out in the open. I don't want to keep my 160gb ipod with my entire music library in plain sight. Console or glove box would be much better. So here you go:

There are a few threads that were very helpful:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/aud...-write-up.html (This one is very similar to mine, but not exactly what I was looking for)

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...udio-port.html

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...glove-box.html

12SuperWhiteDC's post was extremely helpful on the last link. This is a great starting point. This is what I ended up with.

*I removed the face because I'm OCD and didn't want an empty spot in my new rig while waiting for the blank. Removing the face is not necessary.

I'll start with the AUX. I purchased a blank inserts: 55539-52060-CO and 55539-52060-BO. They are both black, but one does not match the other installed ones exactly. Again, OCD. And extra $3 not to be annoyed was worth it. I also purchased a 1/8" or 3.5mm panel mount plug. $3 for a pack of two at radio shack. Also, the USB panel mount extension that I will get into later.

I drilled a hole into the blank, found a 1/8" TRS M-M cable, cut one end off, and soldered the wires to the plug. Throw that into the blank and you get this:

Onto the USB. You can go the easy route and just get a USB M-F extension or even a straight ipod cable and run it to your glove box and be done. Or if you want to run it to your console and have it look pretty you can purchase this or something like it:

http://www.l-com.com/usb-usb-cable-w...ype-a-male-10m

I removed the console. Good guide at the end of this video on how to do that here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEcowYsoW-c

Got the console off, drilled a hole (many options on placement). With the USB extension I got, I recommend a 3/4" drill bit. I only had a 1/2" bit and faked a 3/4" hole. It was a little oval shaped. I got a couple 3/4" washers so the USB plug wouldn't stick out so much into the console.

Getting that usb cable up to the original plug was a little annoying. With the help of a wire coat hanger and electrical tape I got there. Both cables plugged in:

Before you go putting everything back together, I recommend testing everything.

Final product:

Another note: You can purchase an OEM aux only plug that are on pre '12 Tacomas (not sure when they put the aux plug in). However, they are $70+. I stopped looking into that option when I saw the price. $8 is way better. I think this looks good, just no cover that says "aux" on it. Not sure of the wiring on the back of the OEM plugs.

Hope someone finds this useful!
Old 07-16-2013, 09:51 PM   #2
SoCal Tacomas
Jerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roderick
Jerez's Tacoma Gallery
Nice write up.
The aux came in the 2009-2011 then USB on the 2012+
$70?! Where were you looking? Iirc, Toyota quoted me like $40-50ish
Old 09-10-2013, 10:23 AM   #3
B.S. Goodwrench
KWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zack
KWMF's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobAF View Post
I purchased a blank inserts: 55539-52060-CO and 55539-52060-BO. They are both black, but one does not match the other installed ones exactly. Again, OCD. And extra $3 not to be annoyed was worth it.

Hope someone finds this useful!
Very useful yes,

Of the two part numbers you listed,

Which one was the perfect match to the rest I am in need of one.

TY
Old 09-13-2013, 06:50 PM   #4
RobAF is on a distinguished road
Name: Rob
RobAF's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KWMF View Post
Very useful yes,

Of the two part numbers you listed,

Which one was the perfect match to the rest I am in need of one.

TY
Not sure. The numbers on the part don't match anything that looked close to the part number. I got both just to be sure. They looked like the same color when I got them (black is black, right?), but when they're next to the others you can tell a difference.

**So the actual part number is on the insert... Just not the CO/BO