1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Can't shift out of Park (even with Override) - Park Lock Solenoid Failed

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by cdn_bacon, May 10, 2014.

1. May 10, 2014 at 10:38 AM
    cdn_bacon

cdn_bacon [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christopher
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Dbl Cab short box 4x4 TRD
    Slim's HID 6000k headlights and fog lights; Redline hood and tailgate struts, TRD CAI
    I can't shift the auto shifter out of park into gear. I have used the override button next to the shifter and it still won't release the shifter out of park. Yes the pedal is being pressed. I can "force" the shifter out of park but it takes quite a bit of force and of course a loud "snap" sound as I know I'm forcing a release below the console.

Most of the treads I've searched on this seem to indicate a fuse or the brake switch relay. I'm about to check the fuses but I've yet to see a post where someone wasn't able to release the break using the override as in my case.

Help?

Last edited: May 21, 2014
  2. May 10, 2014 at 10:41 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    If youre parked on an incline, then the pressure on the parking mechanism can cause it to require a bit of force.

3. May 10, 2014 at 10:45 AM
    cdn_bacon

Member:
    First Name:
    Christopher
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    Slim's HID 6000k headlights and fog lights; Redline hood and tailgate struts, TRD CAI
    Nope. I live in Houston....dead flat here lol. (god I wish we had some inclines here).

It started last weekend and has done it randomly through the week. Now its 100% all the time.

4. May 10, 2014 at 11:17 AM
    cdn_bacon

Member:
    First Name:
    Christopher
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    Checked the fuses. Zip... none blown. Could something be jammed down there?

5. May 10, 2014 at 11:26 AM
    mick478

mick478 He is The STig

Member:
    First Name:
    Bott
    Stockton, CACA
    Vehicle:
    2011 White TRD Sport, 4x4 doublemint cab
    Ome 885 coils Ome n9000 front shocks Ome n182 rear shocks K&n drop in filter Duratracs Kenwood kac 90210d Kicker 12" Alpine 800 watt 4 channel Pioneer 430w 6x9 Firestone ride rite air springs
    I'm not sure if the shifter is cable drawn or not, if it is, take apart the center console and see if the jacket of the cable has slipped out of it mechanism. You can also check the other side where it goes to the tranny. If it is linkage, check all the joints, take them apart (if you are mechanically inclined) and see if you can manually shift it at the tranny or if it is the lever mechanism. I would start there since my electronic knowledge of the shift lock interlock is not great. Good luck

6. May 10, 2014 at 11:29 AM
    mick478

mick478 He is The STig

Member:
    First Name:
    Bott
    Stockton, CACA
    Vehicle:
    Ome 885 coils Ome n9000 front shocks Ome n182 rear shocks K&n drop in filter Duratracs Kenwood kac 90210d Kicker 12" Alpine 800 watt 4 channel Pioneer 430w 6x9 Firestone ride rite air springs
    Just checked mine and it is cable drawn, it's like a brake lever on a bike, the nut could be loose on the jacket and not adjusted properly. Hopefully it is not internal (tranny)

Also check for kinks, the cable underneath could have been hit by a rock stick etc and kinked the cable, random thought

7. May 10, 2014 at 1:42 PM
    gearcruncher

gearcruncher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Canadain bumper technician
    Great white North 51.0333° N, 93.8333° W
    Vehicle:
    2010.TRD.SportDCLB4x4Limited leather package
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
    STICKY SHIFTER / SHIFTER IS HARD TO MOVE
    Most of us would disconnect the shifter cable from the transmission lever and then verify the cable is free by hopping in the truck and moving the shifter from park to low . We should feel nothing because the shifter cable is no longer connected to the transmission . If the shifter is still tight to move , we know that the issue resides in the cable or the plastic shifter cover . A quick lube job is going to fix that up .

Next , with the shifter cable removed from the transmission lever , try and manually move that transmission lever by hand . You should feel click , click , click and it should be fairly easy to move with your hands . If you cant move it by hand , remove the PRNDL switch shown on page 16 at this link , it shows the switch in question . Spray the heck out of it . Some guys actually have to replace the PRNDL switch becuase of corrosion .The PRNDL switch gets very tight when it corrodes http://www.toyotatundraforum.com/pdf/A750E.pdf

When the switch is removed , you can spray the seal on the transmission that sits behind the switch to see if there are additional problems with the lever shaft since the lever shaft is also known to corrode .
    , then take a small screwdriver and pry the lever seal away from the shifter selector shaft enough to blast some lubricant between the seal until you get the lever to move by hand .Might have to work it back and forth a little but its going to free up . You should have the wheels blocked when you do this .Both of these issues are very common

Next , place the transmission gear shifter in park and " REMOVE THE KEY "
    Throw the key on the drivers seat until your done .
    Go to rear of truck and manually push it by hand to verify the truck is actually in park . Go back under the truck and check to see if the shifter cable lines up perfectly with the hole in the transmission lever . If it doesnt line up , adjust the shifter cable until it fits perfectly into the transmission lever . The adjustment is under the shift counsole .
    Once the cable is aligned with the transmission shift lever , verify the truck will only start in park and nuetral .

This covers any normal shifter cable and alignment issues .

Now you know the shifter is free with the truck in the off position .
    Now , start the truck and verify you can smoothly shift through all the gears . Has the shifter freed up or is it still really tight ?

If its still tight with the engine running , remove all ground straps and clean them spotless . Add additional ground straps if you please .
    I have seen vehicles catch on fire for this very reason .
    When the ground wires on circuits get old and corroded , they no longer function properly and loose contact with ground . Guess what your shifter cable just became ? The ground wire from your transmission to the vehicle body .
    I have replaced many melted shifter cables . The shifter cable becomes the vehicles ground and the plastic outer shield will actually melt to the inner cable . This is more noticeable on todays vehichles with all the fancy control motors and electronics as they draw much more amperage in comparison to older cars and trucks . With the non metal box on our trucks all we have is the frame and truck cab to rely on for our grounding needs .
    A little sand paper used to clean those ground straps usually fixes the problem but you can always add a couple more straps to be safe . Some guys are too late and the cable is fried . Some guys replace the cable without replacing or cleaning the grounds only to have the same issue again .
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/te...roblem-putting-truck-automatic-into-park.html

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2n...ny-shifter-2006-auto-6-cyl-3.html#post8471496

Last edited: May 10, 2014
  8. May 10, 2014 at 1:59 PM
    mick478

mick478 He is The STig

Member:
    First Name:
    Bott
    Stockton, CACA
    Vehicle:
    Fantastic write up gearcruncher!!!! I'm gonna check mine for s+g later!

9. May 11, 2014 at 6:24 AM
    cdn_bacon

Member:
    First Name:
    Christopher
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    Great writeup Greacruncher but I unfortunately I don't think this is my problem :confused:

The shifter moving through the gears feels easy and fine. Its just getting out of park into reverse to start shifting. I'm pretty sure there is something that prevents you from shifting the car out of park which releases when you step on the brake? I think its that which isn't working... because when I force the shifter out of Park its a snapping sound. Nothing mechanical or metallic (i.e. not transmission). the sound is clearly coming from the the area where the shifter goes into the center console. I'm pretty sure I'm just forcing the override to let me shift ... but that is why its puzzling because the override button also doesn't work.

10. May 11, 2014 at 6:34 AM
    chadabear

chadabear Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCSB 4x4
    My next try would be the brake switch. If you are applying the brake, and its not releasing, the switch at the pedal or wherever it is located may be bad and not telling the shifter you are applying pressure on the pedal. If you can find it, maybe see if it can be bypassed to check it out.

Several years ago, my 08 had the same problem. I was still under factory warranty and for the life of me cant remember what they changed, but something keeps telling me it was something around the shifter itself. Sorry I cant remember, but I had same exact issue you had.

11. May 11, 2014 at 6:42 AM
    ARtaco

ARtaco Active Member

Member:
    North East Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    '11 DC BLK SR5 4x4 3" lift ARB bull bar
    ARB bull bar, camper shell, warn winch, Allpro sliders, allpro pack rack
    Hadn't ran in to it yet with a tacoma, but if someone described this to me with any vehicle I'd suggest the shifter lock. The shifter should have a little lock on it where you have to have the brake depressed to get it out of park. I would check 3 things.

1- find the lock in the center console, make sure it is working.
    2- If not check the button or sensor on your brake pedal that opperates your brake lights.
    3- Make sure your brake lights come on when you push the brake pedal.

More times than not I've found it had something to do with the button/switch on the brake pedal.

12. May 11, 2014 at 6:42 AM
    ARtaco

ARtaco Active Member

Member:
    North East Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    '11 DC BLK SR5 4x4 3" lift ARB bull bar
    ARB bull bar, camper shell, warn winch, Allpro sliders, allpro pack rack
    Chadabear beat me to it.

13. May 11, 2014 at 7:24 AM
    cdn_bacon

Member:
    First Name:
    Christopher
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    That's the first thing I tried. I think it is the shifter lock as well, but manual button next to the shifter isn't releasing the shifter. Do you suppose the mechanism is jammed or broke?

14. May 11, 2014 at 7:27 AM
    gearcruncher

Member:
    First Name:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
    Last edited: May 11, 2014
  15. May 11, 2014 at 7:35 AM
    cdn_bacon

Member:
    First Name:
    Christopher
    Houston
    Vehicle:
  16. May 11, 2014 at 7:38 AM
    cdn_bacon

Member:
    First Name:
    Christopher
    Houston
    Vehicle:
  17. May 11, 2014 at 7:54 AM
    gearcruncher

Member:
    First Name:
    Vehicle:
    I agree it sounds like the solenoid or possibly no signal going to the solenoid .
    Are your brake lights working ? this will eliminate the brake switch .
    Check fuses on that circuit as well

18. May 11, 2014 at 8:07 AM
    cdn_bacon

Member:
    First Name:
    Christopher
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    Checked the fuses. All ok. Will double check the brake lights again today.

Even if it was the brake switch, shouldn't the manual override next to the shifter release the solenoid to shift? That's why I was leaning more towards the solenoid opposed to the brake switch because the manual release isn't working.

19. May 11, 2014 at 8:24 AM
    gearcruncher

Member:
    First Name:
    Vehicle:
    Yes , according to the schematic , there are only two wires used with the shift interlock solenoid . By testing the brake switch , it eliminates the brake switch as the possibility and if all fuses are ok ,the over ride would be the next switch to test . All i am doing is breaking the diagnostic down to eliminate you from purchasing components that you dont need and accidently spending those hard earned bucks .
    So far everything is pointing towards the solenoid under the shifter counsole .
    If you have a 12 volt test light or a digital volt meter , its fairly easy to check this . The shifter counsole comes off super easy

20. May 11, 2014 at 8:27 AM
    cdn_bacon

Member:
    First Name:
    Christopher
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    I have a multimeter kicking around. Remove the console, start the truck, press the brake and see if the solenoid is getting a signal? I assume of there is a signal and no function of the solenoid then it is bad?

How would I test the brake switch? (where is it)?

Products Discussed in

To Top