1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Fan motor intermittent-melted connector

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by flyfshrmn, Oct 8, 2014.

1. Oct 8, 2014 at 6:15 AM
    flyfshrmn

flyfshrmn [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport Prerunner 2x4
    I have been having issues with my fan motor working intermittently. The speeds would increase/decrease while driving. I would have to pull the glove box down and hit the fan housing to get it to work. Finally I had had enough and started to search for the cause. I found the problem. A intermittent connection into the fan motor housing. I moved the harness that plugs into the fan motor housing and it would cut on and off. I reach up to unplug it and holy smokes it was burning hot. I let it cool for a few minutes and then disconnected it. It appears that the contacts inside the connector (harness side) didn't make a solid connection. Over time it began to draw more current and basically melted itself and part of the fan motor housing. The pictures don't give justice to the extent of the melting inside the connector...

Funny thing is that about 3-4 months ago I was driving down the road in the typical Florida summer with the windows up and the AC on when I smelt something that smelled like burning plastic. I just thought it was the truck up a head of me that was hauling a load and just hit his brakes. After that day, I began to have problems.

Just another thing to add to the pile of problems I have had with this truck. I feel like I own a Dodge, where the engine/trans is solid but everything else around falls apart...very disappointed in Toyota.

Anyone else have this issue?

IMAG0062.jpg
    IMAG0063.jpg

Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
  2. Oct 8, 2014 at 6:35 AM
    tomwil

tomwil Well-Known Member

Member:
    East Coast USA
    Vehicle:
    2014 Reg Cab 4x4

Products Discussed in