1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Outside temperature and compass for 2011 Tacoma?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by johnmbriggs, Dec 12, 2014.

1. Dec 12, 2014 at 12:18 PM
    johnmbriggs

johnmbriggs [OP] Member

Member:
    Sorry if this has been asked before but new to the forum and did some searching but can't seem to find exactly what I need.

I just brought a used 2011 Tacoma (Double Cab, V6, Auto, 4-wheel drive). It does not have an outside temperature or compass in the over-head and was wondering if the part below would fit into my existing truck without severe modifications (e.g. is the temperature sensor present in all models and the wiring for the gauge and compass already present?). Below is a link to the part (I think!). I know it is pricey but want to keep things as stock as possible.
    Any and all information would be greatly appreciated!

http://www.toyotapartsoverstock.com...-EUCPNC51405A--51406A/4074511/8329004011.html

2. Dec 12, 2014 at 3:35 PM
    kevinva

kevinva Active Member

Member:
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab SR5 4x4 Longbed
    I have a 2009 SR5 DC that did not include temperature/compass meter, however all of the wiring was there in the header and ready to go. All I did was buy a full overhead console (the whole unit including the temperature/compass meter, the overhead lights, and the sunglasses holder) and it was a simple drop-in replacement.

However, the part you listed in your post is just the temperature/compass meter and not the entire overhead console. That part is not going to fit in your existing overhead console.

If you want to check before buying anything, you can easily remove your existing overhead console and check the wires that are going to it. In my truck there was a plug with five wires which was everything that was necessary.

If you buy an overhead console to replace yours, make sure it comes from a 2009 or later model -- the earlier model years used different wiring for the temperature/console and won't work.

3. Dec 12, 2014 at 3:50 PM
    johnmbriggs

johnmbriggs [OP] Member

Member:
    Thanks for the information. I will take a look at the wiring and see what the whole unit will cost.

4. Dec 12, 2014 at 6:28 PM
    johnmbriggs

johnmbriggs [OP] Member

Member:
    Has anyone else replace the whole console to get the outside temperature and compass? If so, what was the cost. I am having trouble finding out information on this.
    Thanks in advance!

5. Dec 12, 2014 at 6:44 PM
    McPhiiil

McPhiiil Member

Member:
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2015 AC Taco SR5
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  6. Dec 12, 2014 at 6:53 PM
    johnmbriggs

johnmbriggs [OP] Member

Member:
    Thanks; do you know if it works with the back-up camera that is also on my mirror?
    I will contact him to see what the options are/

7. Dec 14, 2014 at 5:08 AM
    johnmbriggs

johnmbriggs [OP] Member

Member:
    Thanks for the contact information on getting a different mirror for my 2011 Tacoma and I have contacted a person who can get me a new mirror. My current one only has the dimmer and back-up camera. I would like to have a way to get outside temperature and compass working as well. The compass is easy but not sure about the temperature sensor location in the console. Looking at another post (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2n...ror-into-2009-truck-wiring-temp-homelink.html), it appears that the the temperature sensor signal might be available on the AC Amplifier module. Does anyone know for sure that my 2011 Tacoma has the temperature sensor signal on the AC Amplifier module? Or how I can find that out; wiring diagram?

Thanks in advance for any or all information! I am new on the forum but have already learned a lot about my truck!

8. Dec 14, 2014 at 8:01 AM
    RickG

RickG It seemed like a good idea at the time...

Member:
    Southern NH
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5 4x4 Pyrite Mica
    Color matched grille, Access tonneau, OEM Temp/compass, De-badged, OEM hitch, Custom rear storage/dog deck, LED foot well lighting, Illuminated 4x4 switch
    This used to come up all the time and there are a quite a few threads on it. Short answer... if you pull down your console and there's a harness and white plug clipped in the top of the garage door compartment, you should be good to go. Also check for the temp sensor on the center brace in front of the radiator. On '09-'11 trucks I think the A/C system uses it too.

These consoles come up for sale from time to time in the Buy/Sell/Trade section. I think I paid about $220 for a complete one a few years ago and sold my original one for $50. Finding these in a junk yard was near impossible then, but they may be more common now. Just make sure you get one from a '09-'11 truck as these are different internally/electronically from the earlier ones. The new gauge does fit in the old console though; they're the same form factor.

Good luck. Seems like a small thing, but it was important to me too.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2014
  9. Dec 14, 2014 at 8:55 AM
    johnmbriggs

johnmbriggs [OP] Member

Member:
    Thanks. I pulled the console and there is the plug you mentioned. I just wish I could buy the temp/compass section only instead of the whole console

10. Dec 14, 2014 at 11:18 AM
    RickG

RickG It seemed like a good idea at the time...

Member:
    Southern NH
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5 4x4 Pyrite Mica
    Color matched grille, Access tonneau, OEM Temp/compass, De-badged, OEM hitch, Custom rear storage/dog deck, LED foot well lighting, Illuminated 4x4 switch
    Well, you can... sort of. I did just that and drove around with the gauge tie-wrapped up there for a while. The part you can't buy is the bezel that the gauge mounts into. That's part of the console and Toyota wanted ~700 or so for the whole assembly. If you can fabricate a replacement for that bezel you'll be all set.

11. Dec 14, 2014 at 12:43 PM
    johnmbriggs

johnmbriggs [OP] Member

Member:
    Thanks...I am going to start looking for a used console.
    Toyota is proud of their parts!

12. Dec 15, 2014 at 12:52 PM
    johnmbriggs

johnmbriggs [OP] Member

Member:
    I am thinking of doing with a mirror that has the compass and temperature (instead of getting a new overhead console) and curious if anyone has the wiring diagram for the white plug that is in above the over head console (in the garage door component area)? I checked with my local dealer and they were not much help. I want to know which one is the temperature sensor. The truck is a 2011 Toyota Tacoma base 4-door, 4-wheel drive without the off road package.
    Thanks in advance!

13. Jan 7, 2019 at 6:25 PM
    tbird95

tbird95 Well-Known Member

Member:
    British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    TRD sport SR5 V6 DC, LB, 4x4, Tow package
    4runner heated, signal, courtesy light side mirrors, rearview mirror w/compass, temp & backup cam w/ pop luck PL 5400, Interior lights/gauges, BHLM, grillcraft MX black. Third brake light LED swap, rear tail lights LED swap from 2011. 3" Toytec (Boss) Coil overs, rear TSB AAL Bilsteins, Light Racing UCA. TRD grill badge, VIPER Smart Start.
    Anyone know the pinout of overhead compass and temp in 2011 trd sport?

Products Discussed in

To Top