1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

WHATS THE DANG DEAL WITH TPMS.....

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by tacotruck 2.7, Dec 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dec 27, 2014 at 8:58 PM
    tacotruck 2.7

tacotruck 2.7 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Katy TX
    Vehicle:
    09 cab and a half 2.7
    Went shoping for new tires, tpms gona set me back 11$ per tire. Is there a law fed or state I dont know about. Can a car owner replace them with ruber STEMS 1.80$ EA. What a sweet money making scam. Thank you fn hippies for passing genius laws that theiving politicians can profit on. Its called a tire airgauge get that donkey ass out the car and check your pressure.

2. Dec 27, 2014 at 9:52 PM
    TXAggieTRD

TXAggieTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    TX
    Vehicle:
    '11 Pre-Runner V6 TX TRD Package
    It's a law in Texas at least that if you bring a working tmps into a shop, it's is that shop's responsibility to make sure it's working when you leave. If it breaks, they are breaking the law and you can make them fix it before you leave. I learned the hard way by replacing the system for $330 at the stealership. Good luck.

3. Dec 27, 2014 at 9:55 PM
    1993t100

1993t100 I’m good looking and I drive a Jeep.

Member:
    First Name:
    Big Sexy
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
    That's less then $50 to keep a system that monitors yours tire working. Don't go out to eat for a week or two, bam. $50

4. Dec 27, 2014 at 9:55 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi

Hippies are responsible for TPMS , who knew .

5. Dec 27, 2014 at 10:33 PM

302 I love Taylor Swift :D

Member:
    First Name:
    Lawrence
    Vehicle:
    07' DCSB TRD Sport SSM
    Bedside decal
    Damn, I like you. What are you doing for New Years? We should hang out. ;)

6. Dec 27, 2014 at 11:56 PM
    tacotruck 2.7

Member:
    Katy TX
    Vehicle:
    09 cab and a half 2.7
    Wow everything makes perfect sense now. With or without you still have to add air yourself with the help of a guess what.... a tire presure gauge imagine that , worked fine for drivers that gave a dam about those things for the 100 years beforehand. im all for safety but forcing vs geting it as a option shure is lining somebodys pocket mighty fat. Having a product then pushing it by the most shady means into law stinks . I cant imagine what else is on the mandatory list. Rarely are laws abolished but it does happen, Tx had a must have motorcycle helmet law years back lasted a couple of years but the voters abolished it. Same with speedlimit laws...... Never say never.

7. Dec 28, 2014 at 1:04 AM
    logcabinwc

logcabinwc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Micah
    SF East Bay
    Vehicle:
    08 4d 4x4 White V6 TRD
    Old Man Emu 885s with Nitrocharged 90000, Bilstein 5100 in the back with AllPro 3 spring progressive AAL, 16 inch Baja Black 6-spoke alloy wheels, Flow Master exhaust, bed lights, Pioneer HD radio, Uniden CB Radio, K&N Air filter, BAMF Sliders w/kickout, Relentless Aluminum IFS Skid, 24 LED light bar, custom/homebuilt expedition style bed rack and basket combo, and Body Armor rear plate bumper.
    The number of folks out there that really don't know how to take care of their vehicle I think really benefit from the sensors. Its a safety thing. A few extra bucks that potentially could save your own vehicle from unnecessary damage, increased rate of wear, or injury/death seams like a good deal. Yes, you might be confident in your abilities to check the tires often, but many people don't and it can help them.

And I don't think it's the fault of "hippies" charging you more. Seriously, where the hell did that assumption come from?
    +1 for DoorDing

8. Dec 28, 2014 at 2:39 AM
    tacotruck 2.7

Member:
    Katy TX
    Vehicle:
    09 cab and a half 2.7
    Rollover deaths ,lawsuits.....thank Firestone for smoking there lunch and selling tires whos thread separated and sadly killed people in the process btw no sensor in the world would have prevented that disaster .It takes a loss of 25% of tire air pressure to activate the tpms light, a loss of just 5% with car full of passengers is more than enough to overheat a tire and cause a catastrophic failure. Im all for safety and I get the idea that a single female or older folk can benefit from tpms I say idea because I think theres a big false sense of security. For the mentioned ressons. And to mandate instead of making it a option is in my opinion bs,

9. Dec 28, 2014 at 2:55 AM
    savedone

savedone Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gerald
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    TRD off-road 6speed manual
    3 inch lift by dealer at purchase
    The answer to your question is, yes YOU the owner can legally remove the sensors and replace them with regular valve stems yourself, but a company selling and mounting the tires cannot without a 10,000 dollar fine for each tire. If you disable them or remove them some vehicles may also limit your ability to turn off traction control if you need to "rock" out of a snow drift in winter or even limit engine output. In many states, an active TPMS system is required as part of the state's safety inspection, and any illuminated warning lights may cause the vehicle to fail its annual safety inspection. ;)

By the way the 11 dollars charge they gave you is not for new TPMS. That is an extra service charge just to deal with those boogers.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2014
  10. Dec 28, 2014 at 3:14 AM
    PoweredBySoy

PoweredBySoy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB SR5
    [​IMG]

11. Dec 28, 2014 at 4:42 AM
    Clearwater Bill

Clearwater Bill Never answer an anonymous letter

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    '13 5 lug AC w/convenience package
    A few OE parts from fancy trucks
  12. Dec 28, 2014 at 5:02 AM
    hetkind

hetkind Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Howard
    Johnson City
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 Access Cab, white with Leer Cap
    bilstein set at 1.75, Racho 5000 rear with 4 leaf kit, floor mats, high lift jack, pull hook in hitch, bed rail corner braces, severe duty brake pads and devil horns on the grill....
    The requirement of TMPS came of out a series of rollover mishaps, featuring mostly Ford Explorers. The design of the suspension required a tire pressure of 26 psi and a maximum loading of 800lbs for the vehicle, a SUV. As part of the agreed settlement, and to avoid lawsuits, CONGRESS passed the TPMS requirements.

Hippies had NOTHING to do with it. Perhaps the OP should read some business history and not blame "hippies" for everything he does not personally like.

13. Dec 28, 2014 at 5:30 AM
    mbrogz3000

mbrogz3000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2020 Toyota 4Runner Limited
    They remove and reinstall the tpms whilst replacing the seals in the process. My shop charged 5 bucks per wheel for it.

14. Dec 28, 2014 at 5:46 AM
    TugBoatTrash

TugBoatTrash Face first!! Hammer down!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    E. Freetown MA
    Vehicle:
    15 DC Tundra SR5
    Do dents and scratches count?
    I had major issues with TPMS sensors corroding a leaking on my 2009 Honda Odyssey. Also one valve stem blew right off the vehicle on the highway causing an instant flat tire. Barely had time to get to the shoulder without destroying the rim. The tire was a total loss.

So I had a shop remove all of the sensors and replace with standard valve stems. I built a pressure vessel out of PVC and put all of the sensors in it. Just leave that in the car pumped up to 35psi and no issues ever again!

15. Dec 28, 2014 at 5:57 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Well....these days, we have to IDIOT proof our products to protect ourselves from our idiot society of all ages male or female.

Put yourself in the shoes of the owners of the 'companies' whom are getting sued for our stupidity... Of course they (and government) is going to mandate a safety fix. Getting sued is expensive and takes away profits. Profits (or lack of) affect the economy.

Don't knock TPMS unless you've had to use it. And yes...In my 8 years of owning my truck, it went off and I was able to get off the highway in a matter of 2-3 miles before the tire was completely flat. I'm soooo very glad I had that early warning and find a safe parking lot so I could change the tire.

16. Dec 28, 2014 at 6:09 AM
    Texas50

Texas50 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Brazoria County-Texas
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Sport.
    OME 885's,Light Racing UCA's,Bilstein 5100's all the way around, Deaver AAL. Cooper 265/70/17
    That's interesting - Discount Tire destroyed my wife's tmps in her old car and said I had to pay to fix it - I didn't and we have since traded the car. In fact, they said they are not responsible for breakage on any tpms system. Do you have a link to the law?

17. Dec 28, 2014 at 6:12 AM
    theredofshaw

theredofshaw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Somewhere on the East coast
    Vehicle:
    not a taco (guess that means I can be a MOD now)
    (totaled) 2011 Tacoma DC
    Shop around. Not all places charge you $11/tire. We have a local chain that does it for $15 flat with tire purchase. I'm guessing your $11/tire is Discount tire?

18. Dec 28, 2014 at 6:16 AM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    Ever notice what the systems are on? Yep vehicles that are high and prone to roll overs. Now if you want to remove them then you should lock all of the passenger’s doors so that you will be the only one that gets to experience a roll over. I’m sure you guys with tire gauges check your pressures every morning before you leave so in your case that will never be an issue but for the other 90% that don’t good luck. If nothing else you might save some fuel that would be a shame wouldn’t it. If you would like to blame a hippy you’ll need to go overseas seems that they have been using the system since the 80’s yeah the same people that brought you air bags, ABS, traction control, and a host of other things that save lives.

19. Dec 28, 2014 at 6:21 AM
    DanceswithWolves

DanceswithWolves palabra a tu madre

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Roosevelt UT
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB OR
    ^ you left off back up cameras which are now mandatory.

Also, I'm a hippy and had nothing to do with any of it.

20. Dec 28, 2014 at 6:33 AM
    Clearwater Bill

Clearwater Bill Never answer an anonymous letter

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    '13 5 lug AC w/convenience package
    A few OE parts from fancy trucks
    "will become" mandatory.

Fixed that for you.

http://www.cnet.com/news/u-s-requiring-back-up-cameras-in-cars-by-2018/

Question is, how do you make the driver actually look at the screen? If a backing accident occurs, will the driver be charged with 'failure to view"?

What if it breaks and is not repaired? Will state inspections be checking camera function now too (probably) and failing vehicles?

I still prefer personal responsibility.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Products Discussed in

To Top