Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Gas Octane

View Poll Results: Which fuel octane do you use?
87 2,145 64.71%
89 447 13.48%
91 759 22.90%
Other fuel additives 55 1.66%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 3315. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-10-2009, 08:31 PM   #41
BreezyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBreezyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBreezyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBreezyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBreezyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBreezyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBreezyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBreezyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBreezyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBreezyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBreezyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy:
BreezyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Besides the gas octane given at the pump, what about other additives? Such as STP Octane boosts, is it for real or a scam? On ebay they sell these little magnet like things that clamp to your fuel hose, and supposedly align the hydrocarbon in the fuel, and thus promotes better mpg...scam or the real deal? When should you get your fuel injectors cleaned as well?
Old 05-10-2009, 08:33 PM   #42
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 283 View Post
Hey Chris, I know you've been saying this for a while. Do you have a link or document with the data/results of this? I believe you, but I'd still like to see the testing and discussion.
I dont have a link for it....search on the 1GR-FE engine, and you should find stuff...
The 1GR-FE is rated at 236 hp on 87 and 239 on 91. Torque is up 12 or so with 91 also.

See this post:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/per...-findings.html

Over the summer I have been testing to see the "real world" difference between the 3 grades of fuel. My tests were done on a 155 mile loop from an elevation of 1080 ' up to 5500' and back. Average speed was targeted at 68 mph. Up hills I maintained 80-90. down hills I maintained 70. Temps for all three tests was 105*. Hills ranged from gradual to 6.5%. During this loop, the truck was being pushed pretty good, as anyone in AZ who has driven up north can attest to the amount of hills and twisty roads.

87 octain yeilded 15.12 m.p.g.
89 octain yeilded 15.51 m.p.g.
91 octain yeilded 16.61 m.p.g. *

*note: On the 91 oct. test, I was loaded with 200 lbs. more stuff than the other 2 tests, and still received better mpg.
Old 05-10-2009, 08:35 PM   #43
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_GR_engine

The 1GR-FE is the 4.0 L version. Bore is 94 mm and stroke is 95 mm. Output is 236 hp (176 kW) at 5200 rpm with 266 lbft (361 Nm) of torque at 4000 rpm on 87 octane, and 239 hp (178 kW) at 5200 rpm with 278 lbft (377 Nm) at 3700 rpm on 91 octane.
Old 05-10-2009, 08:37 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyTaco View Post
Besides the gas octane given at the pump, what about other additives? Such as STP Octane boosts, is it for real or a scam? On ebay they sell these little magnet like things that clamp to your fuel hose, and supposedly align the hydrocarbon in the fuel, and thus promotes better mpg...scam or the real deal? When should you get your fuel injectors cleaned as well?
The magnets are a scam. I never use addatives in my fuel, as the Fuel companies are required to have a minimum amount of cleaners and detergents in the gasoline they sell. All "Top Tier" fuels are good, and what I use, without adding anything else to the tank.
Old 05-10-2009, 10:32 PM   #46
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CometKat View Post
However, why run 87 when you can run 91 for a buck less?
Exactly why I still run 91 regardless.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:09 PM   #47
Lord of Tomfoolery
genxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
genxer36's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
On the 1GR-FE, running 91+ octain does in fact make a difference in performance.
I couldn't tell a difference when I tried 91 octane. So I use 87.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:19 PM   #48
Lord of Tomfoolery
genxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
genxer36's Tacoma Gallery
Found on Toyota.com -Octane ratings

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...tml#post521655
Old 05-11-2009, 02:28 AM   #49
Seor Member
DriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DriverSound's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
On the 1GR-FE, running 91+ octain does in fact make a difference in performance.
On the manual fuel specs, it says "87(research octane number 91)". I'm sure Toyota wouldn't do their spec research with 91 octane if they didn't think it would produce better results.

I got an average of about 19mpg with 91 octane compared to about 17.5mpg's with 87 octane.
Old 05-11-2009, 07:34 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by 283 View Post
Would there be an adverse effects of alternating between 87 and 91? I'm thinking it might screw up the ECU's timing, fuel mix, etc.
The ECU will adjust....
Old 05-11-2009, 07:54 AM   #51
geoff5093 is on a distinguished road
geoff5093's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to geoff5093
Mileage varies greatly, when I drive conservatively and don't drive 70+ on the highway I can obtain anywhere from 20-22MPG with 87 octane.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:04 AM   #52
Are these black helicopters for me?
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
I normall run 87. 89 just seems like a waste...2 higher for 10 more cents a gallon? no thanks. If im gonna spend a little more might as well go with the 91
Old 05-11-2009, 11:04 AM   #53
Seor Member
DriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DriverSound's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The magnets are a scam. I never use addatives in my fuel, as the Fuel companies are required to have a minimum amount of cleaners and detergents in the gasoline they sell. All "Top Tier" fuels are good, and what I use, without adding anything else to the tank.
Even at the gas station they try to scam you with the amount of cleaning additives on different octanes but a lot of people don't know that it the fuel only comes out of ONE hose, the amount of cleaning detergent has to be all equal even though they come out of different tanks. I've read a report on this somewhere when I researched ethanol gas. Also in California, I think we only get 87,89,91 and 100 over here and 100 is a rare find and labeled as racing fuel. We don't have 93.

Here's some good reads on fuels, additives, etc...

http://www.vettenet.org/octane.html

http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Miscella...lAdditives.htm

http://dirtbike.off-road.com/dirtbik.../detail/331518
Old 05-11-2009, 11:19 AM   #54
geoff5093 is on a distinguished road
geoff5093's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to geoff5093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keason1* View Post
I normall run 87. 89 just seems like a waste...2 higher for 10 more cents a gallon? no thanks. If im gonna spend a little more might as well go with the 91
+1

It's usually $0.10 more per gallon to go from 87 to 89, and then another $0.10 to from 89 to 93. Doesn't make much sense to me...
Old 05-11-2009, 11:23 AM   #55
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonTheDog View Post
Same here. I don't even remember seeing 91.

HOWEVER, we only have 10% ethanol gas here. I've searched and searched, asked on multiple forums, but it seems that's all that we have in SC.
Same, people always ask why I hate ethanol and its funny, i just hate it, can't really explain other than we are causing our fuel consumption to start starving people
Old 05-11-2009, 11:26 AM   #56
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
^I hate it because we get less MPG with it. But yeah, using food for fuel is just plain stupid. We'll starve but we'll sure be able to get around in our vehicles to the empty grocery stores.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:29 AM   #57
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
See I am too young to even have had the opportunity to test it . Had my tacoma for almost a year so It has never been in an area without ethanol
Old 05-11-2009, 11:46 AM   #58
CometKat is a jewel in the roughCometKat is a jewel in the roughCometKat is a jewel in the rough
CometKat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff5093 View Post
It's usually $0.10 more per gallon to go from 87 to 89, and then another $0.10 to from 89 to 93. Doesn't make much sense to me...
Here is why, with a math example

20 gal tank filled with $2.00, 87 gas = $40
20 gal tank filled with $2.20, 91 gas = $44

Mileage = 20mpg with 87
Mileage = 22mpg with 91

2mph extra with 91 = 40 extra miles

40 extra miles is worth $4 of 87 gas

So it is a wash. 87 costs the same as 91
Old 05-11-2009, 11:50 AM   #59
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CometKat View Post
Here is why, with a math example

20 gal tank filled with $2.00, 87 gas = $40
20 gal tank filled with $2.20, 91 gas = $44

Mileage = 20mpg with 87
Mileage = 22mpg with 91

2mph extra with 91 = 40 extra miles

40 extra miles is worth $4 of 87 gas

So it is a wash. 87 costs the same as 91
That is my exact findings (give or take on the mileage). I spend more on fillups, but get better mileage. In the end I get the same price per mile so I just go longer between fillups
Old 05-11-2009, 12:22 PM   #60
GoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to all

Air Force: Load Toad (462/2W1)
Name: Jon
GoBlueFan's Tacoma Gallery
I think the v6 boys and girls are more prone to varying mpg with different octane than those with the 4-banger.

Run what the engine needs and designed to be run on. You can only take advantage of the higher octane with a motor designed for it.