1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How to engage rear locking differential?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 2beard, Feb 12, 2008.

1. Feb 12, 2008 at 5:37 PM
    2beard

2beard [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD
    I just purchased an 07 Tacoma, 4x4 TRD etc...it has the rear differential locking option. I can not get the rear differential lock to engage. I tried switching to 4 Lo, then switching, tried 4 Lo, moved forward, stopped, put in neutral, then diff lock, etc...no matter what I try, the diff lock indicator light flashes.

What am I doing wrong?

2. Feb 13, 2008 at 7:34 AM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    No idea. so you have come to a complete stop, put the truck in neutral, switched to 4lo, pressed the locker button, put the truck back into drive, and driven a few feet all in that order and nothing has happened? all i know is you have to be in 4 lo to engage the locker, and you have to do it in neutral then put it back into drive. if you have done all that in the correct order and it deosnt lock then it looks like its back to the dealer

3. Feb 13, 2008 at 7:43 AM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    Scaffolding and a painted grill
    4Lo, hit the switch, and then rock with the locker light flashing till it grabs.

If that doesn't work, try it with the steering wheel turned slightly when you rock the truck. That'll shift the gears in the differential and might do the trick.

4. Feb 13, 2008 at 7:45 AM
    2beard

2beard [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD
    thanks for the quick replies...did all of that...looks like it is warranty work.

5. Feb 13, 2008 at 8:15 AM
    maverick491

maverick491 Towing Guru

Member:
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 Access Cab, TRD off road, 6 cyl, 6 spd
    Activator III brake controller, Extang Fulltilt toneau, Factory bed mat, Extra D-rings in the bed, 2ndary air filter removed, Garmin Ique GPS, Eco-2, AFE Pro Dry-s filter, USASPEC PA12-toy, Pioneer 3-way speakers, SG II on Blendmount, Gulf States Alarm added.
    As you roll forward, like MJP2 said you need to turn the wheels slightly, this will allow the locker to engage, as the pins and such may not be alligned correctly and will not do so untill you make enough of a turn that the inside and outside wheels have moved a different distance. It should not take much, and in practice, it wouldn't be an issue, Like if you were stuck in the mud, it is likely that one wheel would be turning and the other bogged down as without the locker engaged it is an open diff, but testing on pavement it will require a slight turn while moving.

6. Feb 13, 2008 at 8:23 AM
    2beard

2beard [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD
    I'll try it again over lunch...I have 6-8 inches of new snow to play in...

7. Feb 13, 2008 at 11:15 AM
    2beard

2beard [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD
    No luck...I went the length of the parking lot in 4L S-turning left, right etc...in about 4 inches of wet, slushy snow. It never engaged.

8. Feb 13, 2008 at 3:45 PM
    concrete jedi

concrete jedi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rochester N.Y
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4 door indigo blue
    Broken and scratched tailgate, cracked rear tail light lens, coffee stain in driver seat.
    That sucks ! I just found out that my 4 Lo won't engage :(

9. Feb 13, 2008 at 5:43 PM
    steviestyles

steviestyles The "Search" tab is your friend!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Bone Stock
    I tried to engage my locker today after reading this thread. I had to drive about 50ft forward to get the locker to lock. It also took awhile for it to disengage. I wonder, is it just an electronic control module that controls the 4 wheel drive system and e-locker function, and does it have a high fail rate. I've read a few people having problem going 4 lo and using the elocker.

10. Feb 13, 2008 at 6:02 PM
    piercedtiger

piercedtiger Devout Atheist

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    2015 F150 3.5EB SCEW 6.5ft
    Mine took a long time to engage when I first used it. I did the locker anytime mod too, and thought it was broken because it wouldn't engage. Once I checked all my fuses and the mod wires to make sure it was right I tried again.

I had to push the button and drive back and forth in my driveway 10-20ft each way turning the wheel slightly each time.

I would turn off the radio and fans to see if you can hear the actuator click. It should make one solid click if it's trying to engage. If it's really quiet out and you hear nothing I'd say something is wrong with the actuator. Maybe check all your fuses before running to the dealer? It is all electrical after all.

Jedi:
    Have you engaged 4HI, stopped COMPLETELY, shifted to neutral, pushed clutch to FLOOR, then switched to 4LO?

Mine was really anal about getting all of those requirements until I'd put more 4wd miles on it. Now I don't even need to shift to neutral as long as the clutch is to the floor and I'm stopped. It's a pain in the ass until you use it and break it in. I made a point of using it to back up grassy hills to avoid tearing up the lawn AND help break in the 4LO system.

11. Feb 14, 2008 at 8:33 PM
    sidewinder

sidewinder Well-Known Member

Member:
    Brighton, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off Road
    Westin oval tube steps, KC light bar, 4 Slimlites, Xpel lens protectors, RedLine QuickLift
    I can't tell you how disappointed I am that I have to engage 4lo to use the freaking locker. Coming up my driveway tonight I couldn't crest into my garage. Light snow made one wheel spin and the open diff ensured I did nothing but slide backwards. This sucks. I'm kinda worried about it's off-road prowess now, my Honda Passport never had a problem getting up the driveway. I know, I know, it had limited slip, but it sure was nice to never have to worry about GETTING IN THE FREAKING GARAGE! And on Valentine night too, coming home from a date, you know its a sure thing ;-), but now my wife wonders what kind of sissy truck I bought and here I am posting to this forum rather than upstairs. Sheesh!

Where's that locker anytime mod! I'm doing it this weekend. Unacceptable.

12. Feb 14, 2008 at 8:44 PM
    PPD934

PPD934 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    06 silver double TRD
    Running bars, tinted window (, TSB mod ,885 coils, OME shocks up front, AAl and procomp 9000 out back, partially debadged/black out the others, weathertech floor mats, grillcraft grill, TRD skid plate
    guys I was having the same problem, Took it in for the TSB and mentions the locker, the mechanic could not get it to work either. They replaced the locker and still would not lock. They then had to ordr me a knew 4WD CPU unit and install it today. If you light always flashes it has never locked in. The mechanic who is a friend said that its normal for toyota to put in a wrong relay or wrong CPU on the locker options....

13. Feb 15, 2008 at 5:57 AM
    piercedtiger

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/technical-chat/4838-cheap-free-mods.html

14. Mar 13, 2008 at 7:36 PM
    Burban05

Burban05 Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 33x12.5 bfg mud 6speed diff lock
    3" 33x12.5 bfg mud terrains, k&n cold air, alpine doubledin touch screen, rockford power 600.4, rockford 6.5's, rockford power 12" p3s blacked out
    there is a really cheap easy mod that u can do... like $20 at radio shack, u can bypass somthing and engage the locker anytime... search for it and u will find something, if not message me back and ill get u on the right track

15. Mar 13, 2008 at 7:40 PM
    piercedtiger

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:

It's listed in the link posted above! :D

16. Mar 14, 2008 at 12:39 AM
    zmtnbik

zmtnbik FMLYHM

Member:
    Vehicle:
    4x4 Trd Off-road
    Donahoe (Icon) C/O, TC UCA's, Dakar leafs, BilStein 5125's, 285/70/17 BFG MT KM2's, Raceline Renegade 17x9's, u-bolt flip kit, debadged, TRD CAI, TRD exhaust, URD MAF controller, 20% front window tint, 3M clear bra on bumper, cam locks in all storage compartments, fog light mod, Alpine X100 deck, Co
    As mentioned, the first time you try to engage it will take a while.

I did the locker anytime mod and it took me a few days before it finally locked. I even contacted the original poster who wrote up the mod. Sure enough after enough patience it finally locked up.
    Now it will lock up almost immediately whenever I turn it on.

I too was pretty pissed off that you could only use the locker in 4-lo, so the mod was a must for me and is very easy to do. I would recommend everybody do it that has the off-road package.

17. Mar 14, 2008 at 9:56 AM
    WildcaTaco

WildcaTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 Access Cab V6 TRD Off-Road PreRunner
    Removed Secondary Air Filter
    I did a slightly better mod that requires no modifications to stock electrical or mechanical systems that ensures locker will engage no matter what when I want it to....... I bought a PreRunner:pccoffee:

18. Mar 14, 2008 at 10:15 AM
    piercedtiger

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:

Isn't it limited to 5mph? Or no engaging after 5mph? Seems like I heard that limitation tossed around.

But that's one of the reasons for this mod. If a Prerunner doesn't need to be in 4LO (since it CAN'T) to use the locker, why do the 4wd's?

19. Mar 14, 2008 at 10:22 AM
    WildcaTaco

WildcaTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 Access Cab V6 TRD Off-Road PreRunner
    Removed Secondary Air Filter
    Can be engaged before you reach 5mph after that only limit is how fast you care to go. Been out in the light sand doing around 80-90 with the rear locked up and no issues.

20. Mar 14, 2008 at 10:24 AM
    piercedtiger

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:

Ok, that's what I thought. Gotta lock it under 5mph, so it's not really "anytime". :D I've locked mine at 30-40mph. :D

Products Discussed in

To Top