1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Fan speed switch not working.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by kbmcmahon, Jan 17, 2010.

1. Aug 25, 2011 at 9:26 PM
    melsman

melsman Member

Member:
    Central California
    Vehicle:
    '07 PreRunner SR5 TRD
    Hi TacomaRebel,

I cleaned the connector with a small file and/or fine grit sandpaper. Just enough to clean off any corrosion and make a clean, low-resistance connection.

Also, as a note to all, it's been almost a year since I applied my fix and the fan/switch is still working fine.

Melsman

2. Sep 12, 2011 at 1:17 PM
    walthouston7

walthouston7 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Walt
    Memphis, TN
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma Prerunner Sport
    Cold air intake, 22's are gone (thank god) got 17's and BFG's, Audio system, Flowmaster 40
    After fan speed issues and great advice from this thread I replaced my resistor and my fan worked again but not on high speed. It was pretty much another "low" setting. Then, a week later the whole thing went out again. Its hot as hell in Memphis and I'm on a budget. Can anybody help a bro out?!

3. Sep 17, 2011 at 8:19 AM
    ibJAE

ibJAE Member

Member:
    Wow .. haven't checked this thread in a while. Since I did the repair I posted here a year ago I have not had the problem re-occur:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...-resistor.html

As I believe it is a design flaw. The terminals are too small for the amount of current they see - I am sure it is due to the Med-High speed being a popular setting. On High the resistor is bypassed via a relay, but they should have used a larger terminal for the resistor 12v supply and a more solid connector design. The female spade is a poorly designed pressure contact that loses tension under repeated heat/cooling cycles of the relay. I avoid long term usage of the Med-High fan speed. Toyota at least should redesign the resistor and supply a new harness connector to make it a permanent fix.

The cabin filter issue could also be a contributing factor, but not as much as a poor design.

So when repairing this, like some here have done, clean the supply terminal and re-tension the female connector (careful not to damage it). Dielectric grease helps in keeping the terminal clean and transfers heat from the metal connector to the plastic holder.

Hope this helps.

JE

PS: Walthouston 7: Check the high blower relay (should be in a fuse box) and/or for a blown fuse - if you have a test light use it. Also, although it would be unusual, a completely plugged cabin filter could stop air flow ... not sure it could get that bad.

4. Sep 22, 2011 at 6:08 AM
    Hadoken

Hadoken Active Member

Member:
    I'm having a slightly different problem with my blower - It worked normally yesterday on my way home from work, 2 hours later my wife and I went out for supper and the fan would not work on any setting.
    After a mile of driving, it randomly came on and started working as normal all the way to the restaurant. Got in the truck on the way home, same thing, did not work for the first 3-4 miles of the trip and then worked until I turned the truck off.

Now this morning it will not come on at all, and during my 15 mile trip to work it never did start working.

I understand that the lower the settings have their voltage divided by the resistor, and I think the high setting is controlled by the relay. Since none of these settings are working, should I go straight to replacing the blower motor? Is there some relay or fuse that would affect all of the settings at once? I was under the impression if it was a fuse issue it would have stopped and never came back instead of being intermittent last night.

Thanks
    Oh - I have a 2005, 104k miles.

5. Sep 22, 2011 at 6:17 AM
    MAXTacoma

MAXTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Lexus GS 350
    Mine started doing this last week... How do I know that it isn't the actualy switch itself????

6. Sep 22, 2011 at 7:55 AM
    Hadoken

Hadoken Active Member

Member:
    I don't know about yours, but if you turn the A/C on the light for the A/C goes off when you turn the fan off and comes on when you turn it to any speed. If that light is going on and off, that lets me know the switch is still working and telling something to turn on, but it isn't happening.

TRDsnb likes this.
  7. Sep 22, 2011 at 8:03 AM
    MAXTacoma

MAXTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Lexus GS 350
    Gotcha... THANK YOU... My A/C light comes on when I turn the dial to the first notch. So I guess I need a resistor... I wonder how long I can take only having HIGH?

8. Oct 26, 2011 at 11:01 PM
    Randy22

Randy22 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    Viper 2-way starter, Leather seats, LED cab lights
    My fan was chirping so I pulled apart the whole fan and greased it, but no it wont free spin. Any ideas why? If I try using it, it blows the 50 A fuse. I know it should free spin but its like the magnents are holding it still.
    Any Ideas?

9. Nov 6, 2011 at 3:55 PM
    Cdee

Cdee New Member

Member:
    WA State
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma 4x
    Hi, all. I am new, hope I am in the correct discussion area. I have read this thread and my problem seems to fit in with one exception, my fan is working on low but no other setting. It blows hot air, but the low setting is the only one working. When I set it on anything else....nothing. Would this still be the resistor? Or maybe the blower speed control switch? I tore apart the center of my dash before I found this forum, but do not know what to do next. Should I just try one and then the other if the first doesn't work? Any advice would be appreciated.
    It is a 1996 Tacoma, just turned over 200,000 and I am still in love.

This forum is the greatest!!!
    Thanks, Cdee
    UPDATE - I took the switch out and it is burned up!@! Looks like I found it!!

10. Nov 20, 2011 at 4:40 PM
    mtblife

mtblife New Member

Member:
    WA
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Offroad
    Bought a '06 Taco with 120k on it a few months ago. Found this thread after my blower switch quit working- just realized I have a screen where there should be a compass and thermometer that is blank. Sounds like this is a common problem- were you able to come up with a fix? Great thread by the way- probably saved me a pile of money, thanks all.

11. Nov 22, 2011 at 11:21 AM
    Rusty 06 4x4

Rusty 06 4x4 NBHNC

Member:
    First Name:
    Rusty
    West Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2006 4x4 Tacoma TRD DCSB
    I replaced the resistor and in cabin air filter and all is well

TRDsnb likes this.
  12. Nov 23, 2011 at 10:37 AM
    porsgrunn

porsgrunn New Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma 4x4 Double Cab TRD Off Road
    The fan & motor should free spin while power is not applied. If it is dragging or freezing, and the fan is not binding on anything, it is probably the motor bushing that have gone bad. Time to replace the motor.

13. Nov 23, 2011 at 5:57 PM
    Tbaytaco

Tbaytaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nolan
    Thunder bay
    Vehicle:
    O6 TRD sport
    Note to others... once you have cleaned the air filter, and looked into the cabin filter hole. DO NOT stick your hand into the blower motor to see if you can spin it freely. Or if you are going to do that, then make sure that the fan speed switch is in the off position. Just so happens that my fan must have been slightly clogged, because when I reached my hand in there to spin it, I made contact and it took off ( switch was on high). Luckily still have all my fingers.

Also copious amounts of alcohol before attempting fix is a bad idea.

TRDsnb likes this.
  14. Dec 17, 2011 at 12:16 PM
    DrRabbitFurHead

DrRabbitFurHead Yeah, there's a TSB for that!

Member:
    Salem, VA
    Vehicle:
    X-treme Off Road Edition (4x4)
    Icon Extended Travel Coil Overs, Fox Rear Resi 8-Way Adjustable Shocks, Light Racing UCA's, OME Rear Leafs, M/T Classic Locks 17x9, Nitto T/G (285/70/R17), 5mm Billet Aluminum Spacers, Demello Sliders, All Pro Front Plate Bumper & IFS Skid Plate, PIAA 510's, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, O2 sims, Rear Timbren's & U-Bolt Flip Kit , 3* Rear Axel Shims, Extended Rear Brake Lines, 48" Hi-Lift with a ton of accessories, Wet Okoles, TRD bed mat, Borla Air Filter, Garmin Nuvi 765T, Viper 5901 remote start, 50% tint.
    So I've got the glove box out and am getting ready to look for a burn mark on either the wire or the connector body itself. Once I see the burn mark, what exactly do I do to clean the connection? Do I have to pull the burnt wire out of the connector, clean it and put it back in???
    I'm a simple guy so please type slowly. :D

EDIT: Never mind... found this link (from above) http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-builds/107093-before-you-replace-blower-resistor.html

It shows what to do to clean the connector. Thanks TW for the help!

15. Dec 17, 2011 at 1:08 PM
    DrRabbitFurHead

Member:
    Salem, VA
    Vehicle:
    Icon Extended Travel Coil Overs, Fox Rear Resi 8-Way Adjustable Shocks, Light Racing UCA's, OME Rear Leafs, M/T Classic Locks 17x9, Nitto T/G (285/70/R17), 5mm Billet Aluminum Spacers, Demello Sliders, All Pro Front Plate Bumper & IFS Skid Plate, PIAA 510's, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, O2 sims, Rear Timbren's & U-Bolt Flip Kit , 3* Rear Axel Shims, Extended Rear Brake Lines, 48" Hi-Lift with a ton of accessories, Wet Okoles, TRD bed mat, Borla Air Filter, Garmin Nuvi 765T, Viper 5901 remote start, 50% tint.
    Ok, that link doesn't list the correct tool to use to remove the wire so I just used a small flat head screw driver, scraped off some of the corrosion, bent the male pin ever-so-slightly and reassembled everything. My fan now works and I didn't have to change the relay.

I'd really like to know how to remove the wire so I can thoroughly clean the contact and apply dielectric grease so does anyone know what the correct tool to use is (part number would be great)? If I have to fix this every 6 months at least it's free.

EDIT: Also, I didn't have a 5.5mm socket but a 7/32 socket is only .002" larger. If you're careful it works GREAT!

TRDsnb likes this.
  16. Dec 19, 2011 at 6:43 PM
    yamabiker

yamabiker Well-Known Member

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2006 Double Cab SR5 TRD
  17. Jan 2, 2012 at 9:15 AM
    1904Tacoma

1904Tacoma Herp & Derp

Member:
    San Diego,Ca
    Vehicle:
    06 Pre Runner SR5 TRD Off-Road
    I fixed my problem without having to replace the resistor...for me it was the connection. that was causing a short...easy fix for me!

18. Jan 2, 2012 at 12:51 PM
    johnny 5

johnny 5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Black 07 TRD Off road 4x4
    7-6'' sno-way plow w/DP
    This is such a common failure lets all complain to Toyota till they do something for us. We all complain to each other let's complain to the source.

06DrksdeTaco likes this.
  19. Jan 2, 2012 at 4:49 PM
    Asgard

Asgard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner DC SR5 w/LSD
    There is a TSB for the problem :

Attached Files:

20. Jan 2, 2012 at 5:29 PM
    DrRabbitFurHead

Member:
    Salem, VA
    Vehicle:
    A lot of good that does those of us past 3 years or 36K miles.
    TSB's are starting to piss me off. If a TSB is issued, there should be a 1 year window where ALL vehicles are grandfathered in from the date the TSB was issued... regardless of age or mileage.

Why would the TSB state 2005-2011 vehicles if ONLY 2008-2011 vehicles qualify for the TSB? That's total BS!!! Toyota acknowledges that 2005-2007 vehicles were designed poorly, but don't stand behind their product.

06DrksdeTaco likes this.
To Top