Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Best way to tint tails

Old 02-15-2010, 07:09 PM   #1
jodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonah
jodiddly33's Tacoma Gallery
Best way to tint tails

Alright guys, I'm kind of torn. I'd really like to tint my tails sometime soon but don't know what the best way to go about doing it would be. The VHT stuff freaks me out, because I really don't want to f**k them up and have some douche blame an accident on my too-dark tail lights. But Lamin-X is more expensive, like $60 for a set. Any recommendations between the two?

Sorry for the long post, but I would rather do it right the first time

Also, I have the new LED tails, does that make a difference? Brighter maybe?
Old 02-15-2010, 07:13 PM   #2
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
See if you can get a hold of "iamrayzian." I know he was trying to get rid of his already tinted 09' tail lights and they looked sick!!!! If he already got rid of them, I'm sure he would let you know the process of doing them yourself.
Old 02-15-2010, 07:15 PM   #3
jodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Thanks Danny, tail lights are just an important safety feature that I don't want to completely F up haha
Old 02-15-2010, 07:19 PM   #4
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodiddly33 View Post
Thanks Danny, tail lights are just an important safety feature that I don't want to completely F up haha
Yeah I totally know what you mean. Have you thought about getting some aftermarket ones? I got some black housing ones off of ebay for a descent price a couple years back and they still look great!! That ways I didnt have to mess with my stockers.
Old 02-15-2010, 07:21 PM   #5

Hmmm I shall venture into the mysterious depths dubbed Ebay....
Old 02-15-2010, 07:24 PM   #6
Lieutenant Dan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodiddly33 View Post
Hmmm I shall venture into the mysterious depths dubbed Ebay....
Yeah I would try that first if I were you since the OEM LED tail lights are pretty pricey and you wouldnt want to screw them up. But just look around, there are many different designs out there, Both LED and regular halogen.
Old 02-15-2010, 07:26 PM   #7
Banned
Lentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
I used NiteShade on mine.... Spray on, polish, and seal

Old 02-15-2010, 07:26 PM   #8

sweet thanks man, appreciate the help
Old 02-15-2010, 08:04 PM   #9
Do Work Son!
rossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
rossk35's Tacoma Gallery
Here's what mine looks like. I picked up a set of 09 tails a few months back, and one of my friends sprayed them using automotive clear with some black mixed in. Using this method makes it come out so much nicer then anything else. We just sprayed until it got to the darkness I wanted which wasn't very much.

Old 02-15-2010, 09:49 PM   #10
Jotun is a splendid one to beholdJotun is a splendid one to beholdJotun is a splendid one to beholdJotun is a splendid one to beholdJotun is a splendid one to beholdJotun is a splendid one to beholdJotun is a splendid one to behold
Army: 2ID
Jotun's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lentsnh View Post
I used NiteShade on mine.... Spray on, polish, and seal

Yes very nice but can we trust and Auburn fan!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
Old 02-15-2010, 10:04 PM   #11
Banned
Lentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jotun View Post
Yes very nice but can we trust and Auburn fan!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
Yes.
Old 02-15-2010, 11:50 PM   #12
HILOTOY
HILOTOY will become famous soon enoughHILOTOY will become famous soon enough

HILOTOY's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossk35 View Post
Here's what mine looks like. I picked up a set of 09 tails a few months back, and one of my friends sprayed them using automotive clear with some black mixed in. Using this method makes it come out so much nicer then anything else. We just sprayed until it got to the darkness I wanted which wasn't very much.

What type of paint did you use? want to do mine but want to control the tint like yours.......nice truck
Old 02-16-2010, 04:56 PM   #14
Bangers Runner
GotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
GotLift37's Tacoma Gallery
vht nightshades on my runner

Old 02-16-2010, 06:22 PM   #15
HILOTOY

HILOTOY's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketball View Post
I used VHT Nite Shades on mine. Two light coats was plenty and they are easy to see during the day.

Here's a write-up I did:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...tml#post641701

Here's a few shots of mine right after I did them:

very nice job and write up........I not sure if I want to rattle can the clear. Most clears fade and yellow over time and I don't want to spend a day trying to sand it all off a few years from now. How long ago did you do yours? Love that blue and black
Old 02-16-2010, 07:37 PM   #17
HILOTOY

HILOTOY's Tacoma Gallery
thanks for the reply, yeah they still look awesome........but Hawaii's sun can be brutal Might try em' out
Old 02-16-2010, 07:57 PM   #19
HILOTOY

HILOTOY's Tacoma Gallery
yeah, what type of clear/black........urethane based????
Old 02-16-2010, 11:38 PM   #20
Do Work Son!
rossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
rossk35's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HILOTOY View Post
yeah, what type of clear/black........urethane based????
what part of clear mixed with black is so hard to understand? Go to any place that sells PPG paint and get it then spray it.