1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Accessory Meter

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ochoa104, May 16, 2008.

1. Jan 28, 2011 at 3:42 PM
    itzmejaybe

itzmejaybe New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    BJ
    Harnett County NC
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4x4
    265/70/17 tires so far. Also a front end hitch receiver.
    thanks all for the how to help. Hoping it was just as simple as replacing a fuse but not... I got it out and if i find out more in the process will post to let yall know.. and did join the forum for the help. preciate it
    <'(((>< Bj

2. Jan 28, 2011 at 3:51 PM
    itzmejaybe

itzmejaybe New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    BJ
    Harnett County NC
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4x4
    After removing and breaking 2 plastic tabs on the acc. gauge i see no place to solder? Where should we be looking

3. Jan 28, 2011 at 4:28 PM
    itzmejaybe

itzmejaybe New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    BJ
    Harnett County NC
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4x4
    just got lucky i guess. took it apart and plugged it back in the truck pushed on some of the circuit board and got a reading. Mounted the assembly back into the truck and its still reading but have to re-calibrate the compass i reckon. My guess could be a loose connection to a wire or to a resistor on the board itself. I really don't see it lasting but it could... better than before. Any thing I can help with give a shout! And with any tips on re-calibrating would be appreciated but will try and go from there. I'm a machinist not a mechanic but if u hold your mouth just right things might just work (for a while hopefully!)

4. Apr 10, 2011 at 3:39 PM
    metal504

metal504 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    rob
    new orleans
    Vehicle:
    07 pre runner
    Wow, Ive been driving around for 2 years with this meter broken - very easy fix.... Followed all directions from above people, but when I got down to just the circuit board, I located (2) resistors labled 510..... I couldnt figure out where to solder, so I just added some to each side (very carefully).... Hooked it back up and walaa, it works.... Very Very simple...

5. Jun 29, 2011 at 6:30 PM
    ochoa104

ochoa104 [OP] Member

Member:
    So easy!!! Only took 10 min. Thank you

6. Jul 21, 2011 at 1:51 PM
    bcliff

bcliff Well-Known Member

Member:
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Offroad DCSB
    leaf TSB, added D-Rings, bed mat, weathertechs
    this forum is incredible. 20 minute fix for me. Never soldered before. I thought I melted one of the 510 resistors with my shaky hand but I plugged the meter back in and she lit right up. thanks guys.

7. Sep 24, 2011 at 5:51 PM
    Becca

Becca New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Infamous
    California
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma TRD
    Where is the screw? In my 2005 tacoma I have 3 screws inside the sunglass holder. Are those the screws that I have to remove?
    Please advise

8. Oct 10, 2011 at 1:28 PM
    tompovo

tompovo New Member

Member:
    pa.
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma
    Thanks! fixed my accessory meter and my squesky leafs today in less then two hours! Just became a member to say thanks!

9. Jan 27, 2012 at 12:24 AM
    Scottsire

Scottsire New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    La La Land, WA
    Vehicle:
    2007 IR Tacoma Double Cab SR5 TRD Off-Road
    Stock, Me
    I just fixed mine in 15 minutes.

A Philips in the sunglasses holder is the only screw. Then pull down on the very front to pop out the two metal clips. Unplug the two plugs and go inside to a good workstation.

Your soldering gun, flux and solder are used here so clear out some space and plug in the solder gun (pens are better but any iron with a fine tip is good.) Solder guns from Harbor Freight are a crazy $2.

Let it heat while you remove the 3 torx T-9 screws holding the meter assembly to the plate.

Pull off the meter, remove the dark, transparent casing very cautiously. Any broken plastic could mean rattles you hate.

Pull off the meter wires looped around the backing plate of the meter assembly. Lightly rotate the forward portion of the circuit board over the retaining tabs and free of the pushbutton. Be Careful and DON'T touch the board with bare hands.

Locate the two black rectangles (resistors or whatever usually marked "510") that sit near the rear DS side of the board.

Carefully push the resistors back flush if they have risen at all, brush on the flux and heat the old solder a bit. Put some more flux (but you only need a very small amount) and melt a small amount of new solder on the broken joints and really just each side of both.

Carefully replace in reverse. Mine worked without spending anything for new parts, but I already had all the tools cause I don't know how to relax. Just check the post time of my reply. You can remove the resistors and replace just by melting them off with the soldering iron. Good luck. I'm stoked!

I have great pics I'll post in the morning.

10. Jan 27, 2012 at 12:34 AM
    taco084gb

taco084gb No matter where you go there you are.

Member:
    First Name:
    Galen
    NorCal
  11. Jan 29, 2012 at 1:38 PM
    toniodiaz

toniodiaz Crazy and lovely member

Member:
    First Name:
    Maruko
    Southmerica
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 TRD Sport Silver Double Cab and now 2013 SR5 TRD Sport Red Double Cab
    TRD Supercharger, TRD Catback, aFe Cold air intake system, HELLA Rallye 4000 Celis lamps, Spyder Smoke CCFL Halo projector Headlights, JBA Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers, Centric Cross Drilled Front Brake Rotors, URD smaller diameter S/C pulley, Roof Rack, Recon Tail light bar, 3" OME Leaf pack at the rear with 5100 Bilsteins and Regulable 2.75" Toytec Red Springs with 5100 Bilsteins in the front, Total Chaos UCA, Front TRD Skid Plate, Black Tube Step Bar, Black Emblems and TRD Sport Stripes decal, I JUST FINISHED MY MOD TO THE PARKING, DTR AND TURNING LIGHTS, When you hit the turning switch, DTR ad Parking lights turn of on the side the Turn signals are flashing, so they don't disturb their intensity. Everything installed with my own little hands and help of my dear friend and of course, your mods.
    Hi, any idea where can I buy one of those resistors? one of mine was broken and fell in two pieces when I touched with the solder iron.

12. Jan 30, 2012 at 8:18 AM
    Scottsire

Scottsire New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    La La Land, WA
    Vehicle:
    2007 IR Tacoma Double Cab SR5 TRD Off-Road
    Stock, Me
    Radioshack. Bring in the old one and it will help. Those guys would get a kick of working on a real, human-sized truck:). Also check the link above. It's in there somewhere.

13. Jun 2, 2013 at 1:13 PM
    scott13

scott13 New Member

Member:
    Usually don't comment on these forums but wanted to on this occasion to give kudos to this repair. My accessory meter has been broke for over a year and after a brief attempt at fixing it a while back I knew it was a broken solder connection somewhere but I was thinking that it was on the LED display connection somewhere. For a while there I was fonz-ing mine like another person commented, but after a while that quit working. Anyway it works again now. Great post. Thanks!

14. Jul 22, 2013 at 3:43 PM
    Crashmo

Crashmo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Captain Dude
    Portland
    Vehicle:
    Was 03 TRD, Now 07 TRD
    Brush guard and Bed Storage and Karr Alarm.
    This is a 2007, your mileage may vary.

This began when I retrieved my nice fishing Oakleys from the sunglasses compartment. They had been baked, peeled, and broken from the heat. I don't even live in Arizona.

Then I noticed a blank black screen where there should have been a temp and direction heading. Then I came here and did a little research.

LIES! ALL LIES!

This job took me 20! minutes, bunch of lying thieves around here, be warned. Ok--I did take about 5 minutes shooting these photos.

Remove the one screw from inside the sunglasses holder:

[​IMG]

Then pull down on the forward corners:

[​IMG]

These hook under the ceiling, they are why you pull on the front and not the back:

[​IMG]

Unplug the 2 plugs and separate the entire unit from the ceiling. The circles are where the metal hold-in tabs snap in. When I pulled mine they both flew off and landed on the floor.

[​IMG]

These are the metal hold-in tabs:

[​IMG]

Now unscrew the 3 torx screws from the back of the accessory display:

[​IMG]

Turn the unit over and carefully pry the plastic tabs out to remove the smoked plastic cover:

[​IMG]

The display unit revealed. Something is missing here, hmmm.

[​IMG]

So I knew I heard a rattle early on and searched the panel and truck floor and found this, it should go in the blank area above the other resistor.

[​IMG]

Resting above where it should go prior to soldering:

[​IMG]

I did heat up and put more solder on the one in place--just because:

[​IMG]

Not a clean, factory job, but it makes the current flow:

[​IMG]

Plug in and check just to make sure:

[​IMG]

Put everything back in reverse order and Voila! Job Done. Where is beer?

[​IMG]

Happy fixing stuff! :D

15. Jun 6, 2014 at 2:57 PM
    TMartATC22

TMartATC22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Southeastern WI
    Vehicle:
    08 Rad Red TRD Sport DCSB
    265/70R17 Hankook DynaPro ATM, TRD CAI, 1.5'' Leveling Kit, JVC Bluetooth/IPod/HD Radio Head Unit, WeatherTech Floor Mats, LED Tailgate light
    Thanks for the info on this thread. It was a ton of help when fixing this on my truck. None of the above components seemed to be out of place but current seemed limited. All fuses checked out too but the AM still fades to black after being on for a while... Anyone have an idea what might be loose or is the whole thing junk?

16. Dec 4, 2014 at 7:08 AM
    RobbReynolds

RobbReynolds Tey took yer JERB!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    06 Taco Dbl Cab 4x4
    Thanks guys the repair worked perfectly!

17. May 17, 2015 at 2:37 PM
    pcm888usa

pcm888usa Member

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner SR5 V6
    TRD Exhaust, Clarion NX500 Nav/Radio, ERB Slotted front disc brake and pads
    Thank you to Crashmo's detailed pictures of how to fix the Accessory Meter. It took me about 10 minutes from start to finish. It is now working again!

18. Aug 19, 2015 at 2:51 PM
    LooksSoFine

LooksSoFine New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma PreRunner
    To all you guys that put input on how to fix your Acccesory Meter, you guys are awesome. Took mine out without breaking anything, solder it and yes plugged it in and it works. Mine didn't look like it needed solder on the 510 resistor but solder it anyway and it worked .... Thanks Guys

19. Sep 14, 2015 at 6:03 PM
    pnoymtbr

pnoymtbr New Member

Member:
    Thanks Cashmo for the detailed pictures! And thanks also to all that contributed to this DYI fix. This is an awesome forum and I joined specifically to thank everyone. I just bought a 05 Tacoma with the accessory meter not working and was about to purchase a new aftermarket one. After a quick goggle search of my problem, I found this thread and fixed it in 20mins! Again thanks everyone! :thumbsup:

20. Jan 1, 2018 at 4:49 PM
    dngrdavestaco

dngrdavestaco New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Vehicle:
    06 Taco 2wd trd
    Bone stock
    Success!! Resoldered resistor and even though it is crooked my gauge now functions flawlessly!!!! Thank you all for this complete and thorough list of repairs. I am so thankful for finding this group!!!

Products Discussed in

To Top