LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

How can I disable VSC?

Old 06-04-2010, 11:21 AM   #1
drjohnson36 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrjohnson36 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrjohnson36 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrjohnson36 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrjohnson36 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrjohnson36 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrjohnson36 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrjohnson36 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrjohnson36 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrjohnson36 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrjohnson36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
drjohnson36's Tacoma Gallery
How can I disable VSC?

It causes more problems than it solves. I can be going a safe speed (30 mph) off a freeway offramp and it'll freak out and slam my brakes. It's also come on when I'm turning into a parking spot, practically disabling the brake pedal until I'm inches away from the car in front (or the wall). It's very annoying and I'd like to disable it, or at least adjust it so it's not so damn sensitive. Is there any way I can do this?
Old 06-04-2010, 11:29 AM   #3
drjohnson36 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrjohnson36 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrjohnson36 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrjohnson36 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrjohnson36 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrjohnson36 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrjohnson36 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrjohnson36 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrjohnson36 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrjohnson36 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrjohnson36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
drjohnson36's Tacoma Gallery
^^ It automatically reactivates itself at 30 mph or something. I want to disable it entirely.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:36 AM   #4
YGWYPF
RainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Naval Aviator
RainDodger's Tacoma Gallery
You have some other kind of problem then, or you're doing something. My VSC ('09) rarely comes on unless the truck is off-axis - sliding, or pointing in a direction that the front wheels are not pointed.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:38 AM   #5
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
I would bet the lift is partly if not completely the culprit. It needs to be recalibrated by a Toyota dealer.
Old 06-04-2010, 12:29 PM   #6
JustMe is on a distinguished road
JustMe's Tacoma Gallery
Take it to the dealer, your truck has issues. I have to try very hard to get my VSC to activate on my 09.
Old 06-04-2010, 12:40 PM   #7
Okkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to behold

Okkine's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjohnson36 View Post
^^ It automatically reactivates itself at 30 mph or something. I want to disable it entirely.
It only comes back on if you press and release the button.... if you press and hold it, at a complete stop, for five seconds it will disable it completely.

But I do agree with you, the VSC and ABS are WAY WAY WAY too sensitive on these trucks (though mine isn't THAT sensitive unless i'm on icy roads).
Old 06-04-2010, 12:48 PM   #8
Ban Pending
HBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
HBMurphy's Tacoma Gallery
One point...

I love this kind of stuff in the rain - I have 2 other cars with good power and I love to punch them in the rain - they keep me in check! I know I wrapped one around a pole when I took it off while 'rcing' a friend on dry pavement - ever since then, I typically keep it engaged unless I am wheeling.
Old 06-04-2010, 12:50 PM   #9
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Take it and and have them reset it. Your lift if causing the problems.
Old 06-04-2010, 01:07 PM   #10
Lets Do It!
wiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wiscdave's Tacoma Gallery
Gota be a fuse you can pull under the hood somewhere.
Old 06-04-2010, 01:29 PM   #11
Must go to Mountains, Desert
Crom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mudafuga
Crom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexterdog View Post
I would bet the lift is partly if not completely the culprit. It needs to be recalibrated by a Toyota dealer.
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjohnson36 View Post
For anyone that may be interested. If you alter the geometry of your suspension such that you require a front end alignment adjustment, then you should have the VSC recalibrated. The dealer can do this service for you, or I believe you can do it yourself. There are two steps to complete the process:

1. Clearing zero point calibration data.
  2. Yaw rate sensor and deceleration sensor zero point calibration
Here is the procedure.

Old 06-04-2010, 09:08 PM   #12
Questions... Morphology? Longevity? Incept dates?
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
OP , I feel your pain , my truck had an over active VSC issue WITHOUT any lift . I had it reset at the dealership and the occurences of it engaging dropped way down , but recently it has engaged twice on dry pavement at 35 MPH twice while cornering . I agree with Okkine that the system while great in an emergency can be a tad too sensitive under normal conditions at least for some .
Old 06-04-2010, 09:12 PM   #13
Crom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Crom's Tacoma Gallery
Hi Oz.

Question for you... When you have VSC recalibrated by the dealer was there a charge or do they do it under warranty? About how long did it take them to do it? I know they use techstream (computer) but just curious.

Thanks.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:14 PM   #14
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Crom ,

no charge for the recalibration , they covered it under warranty . The actual doing of it only took the tech about 15 mins , the rest of the time was me trying to convince them it was happening as we couldn't get it to occur on our test drive together ( as is usually the case )
Old 06-04-2010, 09:28 PM   #15

Crom's Tacoma Gallery
OZ, Right on. Thanks. Glad you didn't have to wait too long. When I took my truck in for the TSB transmission reflash, I had to wait 4 hours! They were very busy. LOL It wasn't funny then but I can laugh about it now.

This is what I did for four hours:

Old 06-04-2010, 09:32 PM   #16
Ban Pending
HBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
HBMurphy's Tacoma Gallery
There's a couple of posts on TTora where a guy mad a switch that essentially made the 4 low position switch appear (electronically) to be engaged. If I have time later, I will look for it.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:36 PM   #17

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crom View Post
OZ, Right on. Thanks. Glad you didn't have to wait too long. When I took my truck in for the TSB transmission reflash, I had to wait 4 hours! They were very busy. LOL It wasn't funny then but I can laugh about it now.

This is what I did for four hours:

Crom ,

FWIW my VSC problem didn't start until right AFTER my tranny tsb reflash , like the next day .
Old 06-04-2010, 09:42 PM   #18

Crom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Crom ,

FWIW my VSC problem didn't start until right AFTER my tranny tsb reflash , like the next day .
That's quite interesting. After my TSB tranny reflash I could not disable VSC in 4WD. I wrote a thread about it here. I took it to the dealer and they swear they did nothing, but it worked after I got my truck back.

It's not surprising really. I have several years experience working with software and it is common knowledge that anytime new code is introduced the probability of unwanted side effects increase. Otherwise known as software bugs.

I would love to get my hands on the VSC code to analyze it. I learned from BOSCH that VSC uses the active wheel sensors which are magnets to sample wheel speed 24 times a second.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:55 PM   #19

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crom View Post
That's quite interesting. After my TSB tranny reflash I could not disable VSC in 4WD. I wrote a thread about it here. I took it to the dealer and they swear they did nothing, but it worked after I got my truck back.

It's not surprising really. I have several years experience working with software and it is common knowledge that anytime new code is introduced the probability of unwanted side effects increase. Otherwise known as software bugs.

I would love to get my hands on the VSC code to analyze it. I learned from BOSCH that VSC uses the active wheel sensors which are magnets to sample wheel speed 24 times a second.
Crom ,

I read your thread when I was trying to diagnose my problem . When I took my truck back for the VSC issue post tranny reflash , the tech did a scan on the truck and the skid control ecu had odd values for my steering wheel input and yaw sensor .
Old 06-04-2010, 10:09 PM   #20
10.21 is a glorious beacon of light10.21 is a glorious beacon of light10.21 is a glorious beacon of light10.21 is a glorious beacon of light10.21 is a glorious beacon of light10.21 is a glorious beacon of light
Marines:
Name: Dillon
10.21's Tacoma Gallery
I have to agree man. Lift is causing it. Take it to the dealer, as much as some guys talk shit about Toyota "stealerships" they do have descent customer services.

Let me know what information you get. I, honestly, love when my VSC starts ringing...it knows that I'm pushing the truck...but pulling into a parking space is pretty ridiculous...post your knowledge so I know what to do when I incorporate my lift....