1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

05 tacoma stiff automatic gear shifter

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Jamie R. Cherry, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Apr 21, 2011 at 6:43 PM
    Jamie R. Cherry

Jamie R. Cherry [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Schuylerville,N.Y.
    Vehicle:
    05 tacoma Double Cab
    I've only read one thread on this problem. Mine seems to come and go with the weather. Not sure what to do? Can anyone help?

2. Apr 21, 2011 at 6:46 PM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver4dr. 4x4, V6 Shortbed
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.
    Could you be more specific? Is there an issue with the shifter or the way the transmission itself shifts? The reason I ask is because my GF's 4runner was difficult to shift by hand, ended up having a plastic piece broken inside the console.

On a side note how do you pronounce the name of the city/town you live in? My brothers name is spelled Schuyler and pronounced Skyler.

3. Apr 25, 2011 at 12:24 PM
    Jamie R. Cherry

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Schuylerville,N.Y.
    Vehicle:
    05 tacoma Double Cab
    Hey thanks for the reply. Its in the shifter linkage. The tranmission itself is fine. Not sure how to lubricate the linkage.
    Yes my town is pronounced just like your brothers name except withe the ville on the end.

4. Apr 25, 2011 at 6:13 PM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver4dr. 4x4, V6 Shortbed
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.
    If its not trouble in the console, as it was with our 4runner let us know what you find out.

5. Oct 8, 2011 at 4:20 PM
    over60

over60 Over70 & still a "Grumpy Old Guy"

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Muskoka, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2016 Inferno (Punkin) TRD 4X4 Sport DCLB w/upgrade & tech pkg..!!
    Toyota running boards/Solid Fold 2.0/custom stickers/Anti-Dark LED light under hood/Derped grill/Scoop, etc.
    I've had the same problem with my 2006 Taco...V6. auto tranny.

The shifter sometimes is VERY stiff, and I note that the cruise control will NOT engage when this happens, also Low gear and 2nd gear do NOT light up in the dash, as normal.....

This happened for the 3rd time yesterday..... I drove about 20 miles and then stopped and ran the shifter back and forth a few times and it cleared up.... Go figgure....

The first time it happened, I took it to the dealer..... It was NOT stiff when I got there.... they checked the linkage ane said everything was fine...(gave me a look like I was crazy).....!!

I too believe the problem is with at the consol end, because everything looks good under the truck....

Anyone else...??

6. Oct 12, 2011 at 2:11 PM
    Jamie R. Cherry

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Schuylerville,N.Y.
    Vehicle:
    05 tacoma Double Cab
    I took my console apart and lubricated everything that had existing lube on it. Here is the catch, after a few days it started doing the same thing again.I think it is the small black plastic piece under the shifting mechanism. I'm going to remove it and see what happens. I'll re-post at a later date. Thank you.

two natures likes this.
  7. Oct 17, 2011 at 4:55 PM
    avelino

avelino Member

Member:
    Got the same problem with my 05 tacoma. Problem comes and goes. I also thought it was something to do with the weather. Hopefully it is just the plastic piece.

8. Oct 21, 2011 at 12:39 PM
    avelino

avelino Member

Member:
    So it was sticking today, so I took the plastic out and that didnt seem to fix anything. When I put it in drive the dash "d" doesnt light up got to toggle between neutral and drive couple time for light to come on. Probably be back to normal tomorrow as usual.

9. Oct 21, 2011 at 12:43 PM
    kirkofwimbo

kirkofwimbo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clayton
    Wimberley, TX
    Vehicle:
    ‘21 Tundra SR 4x4
  10. Oct 22, 2011 at 6:09 AM
    avelino

avelino Member

Member:
    thanks man. But the other day when it was stiff, I took the plastic piece out and went up and down through the gears and it was still stiff. I think i will try greasing the cable though. Maybe white lithium grease. let you guys know how it goes

11. Mar 10, 2012 at 7:43 AM
    PINAYBABY

PINAYBABY New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    westerly,R.I.
    Vehicle:
    05 TACOMA
    hello all, my 2005 tacoma had the same problem: very stiff in shifting, and a fix engine light came on also, took to the dealership and they had to replace the shifter cable..last year in 2011..the dash lights for drive ,1st gear , etc. were not matching up to the desired gear that it was in..they fixed it and it was fine but just a little off on the dash lights though..i just worked around that til now..it seems to be getting stiff again and the dash lights seem to be still off a bit..didn't drive it for a month though, as i was on vacation, but i'll give it a little longer to see if get's worse..AGAIN:eek:

12. Jun 2, 2012 at 5:55 AM
    avelino

avelino Member

Member:
    Just wanted to give an update on the shifter problem. I washed the undercarriage of my truck and found that the problem started again immediatley after that. After a few days of warm weather it went back to normal. So to be sure I did it again. Hosed off under car and it happened again. So something getting moisture under the truck I believe is causing this problem. Now to figure out what.

avelino

13. Jun 8, 2012 at 5:56 AM
    avelino

avelino Member

Member:
    I've asked every mechanic I know and no one has an answer. If anyone has any suggestions I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance

14. Oct 5, 2012 at 1:20 PM
    Gregman

Gregman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Freddy Beach, NB
    Vehicle:
    05 DC LB 4x4 SR5
    So anyone else with an older 2nd gen auto experiencing the stiff shifter? Mine has been intermittenly acting up too. It gets stiff and when I put it in gear the D light doesn't come on until I cycle the shifter back and fourth from D to 4th and back. I took all the plastic stuff off and its still stiff, so I think it must have something to do with the cable. Perhaps it needs some lubrication or replaced?

I'm going to give this a try:
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/technical-chat/87972-stiff-shifter-automatic-trans.html

15. Oct 17, 2012 at 5:14 PM
    mauledriver

mauledriver Member

Member:
    First Name:
    kc
    GreenMtnsVT
    Vehicle:
    05 v6 blue no chrome
    remote start
    Gregman,
    Exactly the same problem, I ride motorcycles so the taco sits sometimes for weeks before I use it. The shift problem has been going on since 2007. on the 2005 truck. I have removed the console, cleaned and lubed with extreme low temp grease, a little smoother but no real improvement. Shift out of park, no indicator light showing what gear, shift back and forth, indicator finally comes on, no 2nd or low gear available. Last month I ordered and replaced the actuator/shift cable an easy repair, just lube the transmission shifter bolting a couple days before you try to remove the bolts. No need to jack up the truck, all visible from below and in the cab.
    The old cable was just fine!! due to a grease fitting mod I made years ago. Still suspected the cable, thus the replacement.
    RESULTS: no improvement. The issue is corrosion of the shifter link arm on the side of the tranny, it just rusts up so bad it locks the shifter. The truck has 120K and is used to commute in crap weather of new england read: lots of salt. On extremely cold mornings of 20belowF it just gets worse! After oil undercoating the undercarrige it improved the most but the first big rain and I'm back to stiff to almost impossible to shift.
    This weekend it has to be fixed as 25'f on the motorcycle is about this old guys' limit. Stay tuned..........

16. Oct 17, 2012 at 5:18 PM
    mauledriver

mauledriver Member

Member:
    First Name:
    kc
    GreenMtnsVT
    Vehicle:
    05 v6 blue no chrome
    remote start
    Just noticed there seems to be alot of '05's in New England and Canada posting this same shifter problem..........?!!

17. Oct 19, 2012 at 5:53 AM
    mauledriver

mauledriver Member

Member:
    First Name:
    kc
    GreenMtnsVT
    Vehicle:
    05 v6 blue no chrome
    remote start
    ANY TOYOTA TECHS OUT THERE WILLING TO CHIME IN ON THIS SHIFTER ISSUE....HAS TO BE SOMETHING SIMPLE...??
    THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR EXPERTISE

18. Oct 23, 2012 at 7:25 PM
    TacoManDan

TacoManDan New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    dan
    MV Ohio
    Vehicle:
    I own several 1st n 2nd Gen Tacos
    Same stiff shifter here... I mean very very hard to even go back in reverse... Only difference is on mine it wont start... Shows it is in Reverse... UNREAL... Have taken it apart via shifter/console area... Sure wish a Toy Tech wouls assist us...

19. Jan 23, 2013 at 5:16 PM
    TDHofstetter

TDHofstetter Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Bradford, VT
    Color-matched Leer cap
    Problem isn't specific to '05's, folks - I've got exactly the same situation with my '07.

I've crawled underneath with a helper tugging on the shifter lever, and all the linkage is moving easily UP TO where it goes into the transmission. THAT SHAFT moves very very stiffly if the truck's been sitting for more than a week, or only a couple of days in muggy weather.

I've tried shooting around that shaft with white lithium grease, but it didn't help; it looks a lot like the transmission is "inhaling" moist air and condensing it around that shaft, inside the tranmission case, resulting in rust buildup where we can't get to it without opening the case. I don't like the thought of having to pull the transmission apart to fix a sticky shifter, when the problem's likely to come back again later.

Upshot: Unless someone can come up with a pretty slick repair for it, I'm gonna' sell this thing & drive my M715 instead.

-- Tim --

20. Apr 8, 2013 at 4:34 PM
    mauledriver

mauledriver Member

Member:
    First Name:
    kc
    GreenMtnsVT
    Vehicle:
    05 v6 blue no chrome
    remote start
    Well finally have an appointment with a real Toyo-Taco mechanic (ex-dealer) about this ongoing issue with the shifter. After reading most references on the A750F trans,
    I don't think it's in the transmission---It's the shifter. The "fix" of straightening the dustcover follower just cleans the grit out of the two layers of plastic. Appointment is 4/8/2013, I'll post the findings next week, stay tuned.

Products Discussed in

To Top