1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

DC Rear Seat Storage Ideas

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ROGU3 PR3DATOR, Dec 26, 2011.

1. Dec 26, 2011 at 8:35 PM
    ROGU3 PR3DATOR

ROGU3 PR3DATOR [OP] Space Shuttle Door Gunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Alamogordo, New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    MGM 2011 TRD Off-Road
    Lifted, Supercharged, Armored, and lots more
    I am looking into removing the storage bin behind the rear seat of my 2011 DC to create more storage space, but I was hoping for ideas on a way to make a replacement box that doesn't sacrifice space. Also since I have the JBL sub behind the passenger seat that whole side is almost useless. Does anyone know if that insert is removable while still maintaining the sub? Or is the sub exposed at that point? I had really only planed on removing the DS box, but if I can pull the PS out without removing all protection for the sub that would be even better. Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. Dec 26, 2011 at 8:42 PM
    IluvTEA

IluvTEA Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Dakota
    Vehicle:
    '10 DC LB 4x4 SR5 Super White
    Cooper ST 265/75/16 on Flat Black TRD OR wheels, window tint, blacked-out badges, front mudflap trim, BHLM, Base Black Rear Bumper Swap, Color-matched grille, Custom Relentless Fab plate bumper powdercoated flat wrinkle black and "TACOMA" backlit with Drunknsloth LEDs, Camburg 2.5" coilovers, LR UCAs, Power sliding rear window, Back-up camera anytime, FX-R projectors/Morimoto 3Five Ballasts/D2S bulbs 5000K, Black WeatherTechs, heated TRD seats with Roadwire Graphite Leather, OEM Roof Rack, front mud flap delete, Black Level 8 Guardians, TreadWright 285/75/16 with KG ...
    I have a 2010 with JBL and just removed mine today. Remove the 3 (10mm) bolts on the DS, remove DS panel, remove 1 bolt on PS, remove PS panel. The sub and amp will still be there, but unprotected. There are a few plastic clips on each side, just pull on the panel and it'll pop out. Hope this helps.

3. Dec 26, 2011 at 9:02 PM
    ROGU3 PR3DATOR

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Alamogordo, New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    MGM 2011 TRD Off-Road
    I had seen other threads on the removal process, so it seems to be the same. But the unprotected Sub is what worries me with that route. Any ideas on how to protect it? Or the feasibility of just removing the DS?

4. Dec 26, 2011 at 9:14 PM
    IluvTEA

Member:
    South Dakota
    Vehicle:
    Cooper ST 265/75/16 on Flat Black TRD OR wheels, window tint, blacked-out badges, front mudflap trim, BHLM, Base Black Rear Bumper Swap, Color-matched grille, Custom Relentless Fab plate bumper powdercoated flat wrinkle black and "TACOMA" backlit with Drunknsloth LEDs, Camburg 2.5" coilovers, LR UCAs, Power sliding rear window, Back-up camera anytime, FX-R projectors/Morimoto 3Five Ballasts/D2S bulbs 5000K, Black WeatherTechs, heated TRD seats with Roadwire Graphite Leather, OEM Roof Rack, front mud flap delete, Black Level 8 Guardians, TreadWright 285/75/16 with KG ...
    You could protect the sub by modifying the current plastic (by cutting the protective screen out). There's not much room to spare though. It's feasible to just remove the DS plastic but there are some holes in the PS plastic where the PS and DS hook together. If you just remove the DS plastic, again there's not much room to spare...

There was a thread about a guy wanting to build a rifle storage/lock box behind the rear seats and he was trying to maximize the space, i'll try to search for it. He probably didn't have a sub though. If you are good with electronics and stuff you could move the amp and sub under the front (or rear) seat, then there would be plenty of room.

5. Dec 26, 2011 at 9:22 PM
    ROGU3 PR3DATOR

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Alamogordo, New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    MGM 2011 TRD Off-Road
    Hadnt even considered the idea of moving the two. Under the front passenger seat would be perfect though....The question there is would it fit?

6. Dec 26, 2011 at 9:48 PM
    IluvTEA

Member:
    South Dakota
    Vehicle:
    Hmm I have no idea. Dig around in the Audio thread, I'm sure you could find something. Even using an aftermarket box with the stock amp/sub/wiring would be a good (and cheap) option. let me know what you find, I'm going to bed.

P.S. no joy on the rifle storage behind the seats, it was basically resolved by storing rifles under the rear seats or (non-JBL trucks) removing all of the plastic behind the rear seats to make room for rifle cases.

7. Dec 27, 2011 at 1:14 PM
    ROGU3 PR3DATOR

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Alamogordo, New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    MGM 2011 TRD Off-Road
    Looked around in the audio thread a bit but didnt have much luck. Anyone else have any thoughts on the subject?

8. Jan 3, 2012 at 11:45 PM
    ROGU3 PR3DATOR

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Alamogordo, New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    MGM 2011 TRD Off-Road
  9. Jan 4, 2012 at 4:30 AM
    Wallygater

Wallygater Well-Known Member

Member:
    USA
    Vehicle:
    '11 SR5 DBL Cab 4x4 6 speed
    Softopper, All-pro bolt-on sliders, Tom Wood's drive shaft, Goodyear 235/85/16 Dura-trac's, SG, USA-Spec I-pod adaptor, Amsoil in everything
    I don't have a sub behind my seats. I'm sure it could be moved or you could fab up some protective cage for it. I have had the DS panel out for a while now to make room for a back pack and it has worked out well. I'm now gonna remove the passenger side cause I'm looking at doing something like in this thread. See my post. Definitely want the rifle option and then a panel for mounting bags, light, etc...like the FJ back door panel shows. That company is expensive so I haven't pulled the trigger on anything yet. Researching cheatper alternatives. :cool:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/196053-custom-storage-gun-rack-idea-double-cab.html

Products Discussed in

To Top