1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

PIAA 510, 520 or 540 in stock fog locations??

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by cverneau, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Jul 27, 2011 at 10:20 AM
    cverneau

cverneau [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Cheshire, CT.
    Vehicle:
    11 Access Cab 4cyl 4x4 Auto
    AVS In-Channel Window Deflectors, AVS Rear Window Sun/Rain Deflector, EGR Front Hood Deflector, Weathertech Digital Fit Floor Liners With TRD Off Road Decals, TonnoPro Tri-Fold Cover, Coverking Black Neoprene Front Seat Covers & Front & Rear Center Console Covers, Black With Red Stitched TRD Head Rest Covers, Rear Grey Neoprene Wet Okole Seat Covers, Black Front Door Handle Pull Covers, Husky Custom Molded Mud Flaps, Devil Horns Of Fire On Satoshi, 7" Off Road Lights Mounted Behind Grill, Pop N Lock 5300, Seatbelt Chime Off, Interior & Exterior Led's, Cubby & Drink Holder Amber LED's, Infinity Reference #9633 6X9 Front Speakers, Solar-Gard HP Smoke 35% Tint, De-badged & Pinstripe Removal, Sun Visor Stickers Removed, Illuminated 4x4 Switch, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Ultragauge, TRD Aluminum Skid Plate, Bed Storage Cubby Locks Mod, Additional D-Rings In Bed, Rubber Bed Mat, Intermittent Wiper Stalk, Black Vinyl Arm Rest Mod, Secondary Air Filter Removal Mod, Spare Tire Rod Alignment Tube Mod, 14" Antenna Mod, Tailgate Theft Mod, DTRL Wire Jumper Mod, Parking Lights As Turn Signals Mod, Under Hood LED Strip Lighting Mod, 30 Watt Reverse Bulbs, PIAA 510's With LED's In Fog Locations, Cree LED Flood lights In Rear Bumper, Burner Bedlights In Bed Cubby's, Avid Light Bar, Horn Relocation Mod, Rear TSB Springs, Bilstein 5100's on all four corners - front set at 0.85", Cooper Discoverer ATP - 265-75R/16, Pioneer AVH-X3700BHS Head Unit With Microbypass, Added USB Charging Ports Under Dash.
    My order just changed to "shipping soon".:eek:
    Keeping my fingers crossed!!

2. Jul 27, 2011 at 10:24 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Damn... lucky bastard :cool:

3. Jul 28, 2011 at 5:13 AM
    cverneau

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Cheshire, CT.
    Vehicle:
    AVS In-Channel Window Deflectors, AVS Rear Window Sun/Rain Deflector, EGR Front Hood Deflector, Weathertech Digital Fit Floor Liners With TRD Off Road Decals, TonnoPro Tri-Fold Cover, Coverking Black Neoprene Front Seat Covers & Front & Rear Center Console Covers, Black With Red Stitched TRD Head Rest Covers, Rear Grey Neoprene Wet Okole Seat Covers, Black Front Door Handle Pull Covers, Husky Custom Molded Mud Flaps, Devil Horns Of Fire On Satoshi, 7" Off Road Lights Mounted Behind Grill, Pop N Lock 5300, Seatbelt Chime Off, Interior & Exterior Led's, Cubby & Drink Holder Amber LED's, Infinity Reference #9633 6X9 Front Speakers, Solar-Gard HP Smoke 35% Tint, De-badged & Pinstripe Removal, Sun Visor Stickers Removed, Illuminated 4x4 Switch, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Ultragauge, TRD Aluminum Skid Plate, Bed Storage Cubby Locks Mod, Additional D-Rings In Bed, Rubber Bed Mat, Intermittent Wiper Stalk, Black Vinyl Arm Rest Mod, Secondary Air Filter Removal Mod, Spare Tire Rod Alignment Tube Mod, 14" Antenna Mod, Tailgate Theft Mod, DTRL Wire Jumper Mod, Parking Lights As Turn Signals Mod, Under Hood LED Strip Lighting Mod, 30 Watt Reverse Bulbs, PIAA 510's With LED's In Fog Locations, Cree LED Flood lights In Rear Bumper, Burner Bedlights In Bed Cubby's, Avid Light Bar, Horn Relocation Mod, Rear TSB Springs, Bilstein 5100's on all four corners - front set at 0.85", Cooper Discoverer ATP - 265-75R/16, Pioneer AVH-X3700BHS Head Unit With Microbypass, Added USB Charging Ports Under Dash.
    ....and they're CANCELLED!!!:(

4. Jul 28, 2011 at 5:18 AM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    There are a pair of 540's for sale on here :D

5. Jul 28, 2011 at 5:26 AM
    cverneau

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Cheshire, CT.
    Vehicle:
    LMAO...I saw that. I guess there's no way to make them work, huh??
    Why did you bother with a set of PIAA's if you already have the stock fog lights??
    I know they're plastic, and if I had the choice I would go with the metal and glass, but that would only be if I didn't have any and was purchasing outright like I am. Why no love for the plastic ones??

6. Jul 28, 2011 at 5:30 AM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    One's starting to take on some water (some jackass hit me and it's been hazy ever since) and the PIAA's have a much better light output. Plus, I like the look of the blue lenses :cool:

And don't worry, I'll find a way to make them work. I already bought them, they're not going to waste. Worst case I'll get a light bar that holds 4 lights and I'll run stock fogs and 2 - PIAA 540's along with my 520's on the bar.

7. Jul 28, 2011 at 5:49 AM
    KMN-BLU

KMN-BLU less work/more play

Member:
    Destin, Fl
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD PRO
    I like my 510 ATPs even though they arent in the stock locations
    [​IMG]

8. Jul 28, 2011 at 6:57 AM
    cverneau

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Cheshire, CT.
    Vehicle:
    Somewhat on / off topic...

Anyone have any experience with these fog lights:
    http://tundrapart.com/lights/2005-2009-tacoma-fog-lamp-kit/

I've also been keeping on the lookout for a lightbar, but I'm probably not going to mount lights to it. At least not for a while. I've been looking at this light bar and like the length as it pretty much covers the front end of the vehicle and like that it's all one piece including the mounting brackets which are actually square tubing:
    http://tundrapart.com/lightbars/tacoma-light-bar/

Anyone have any input on these or this manufacturer?

9. Jul 29, 2011 at 4:53 AM
    cverneau

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Cheshire, CT.
    Vehicle:
    OK - Last question....
    I see people selling their foglights on here all the time for approximately $80 - $100 for the pair, and that usually doesn't include the harness or the switch. Why do people purchase them instead of these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/05-1...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

or these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/05-1...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

I would think both of these would be just as good as the original OE as they're also plastic.
    Anyone here ever purchase anything like these or know anything about the quality??

On a side note, "Riders Needs" called my home last evening and apologized for the "error" on Amazon. They told me they would give me free shipping and 25% off anything I purchase from their store to make up for the "error". That was nice of them, but not as nice as it would have been to receive what I ordered...

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  10. Jul 29, 2011 at 4:56 AM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    People have bought fogs off Ebay and had success with them. People are paying for OEM quality and fit. It's like the blacked out headlights people buy on Ebay, they're not as good of quality as OEM, but they work and are much cheaper.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  11. Jul 29, 2011 at 5:05 AM
    alexander323bc

alexander323bc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Buffalo New York
    Vehicle:
    4cyl access cab
    As dark knight and Pugga knows I recently went with the 510 ATP my biggest issue is they are brighter then my headlights :) I am happy because I now have reason for HID :) I actually mounted them in a different way that took 5 minutes for each light and they do not move in each even with the gap around the light. I took my guards off and you can only see the gap if your standing right in front of it looking for it.

12. Aug 5, 2011 at 11:22 PM
    HockeyTaco Kid

HockeyTaco Kid The snozzberries taste like snozzberries.

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Rancho Palos Verdes, CA
    Vehicle:
    11 PreRunner SR5
    Hey Guys. I'm buying PIAA 540's soon but im worried that they won't fit. My Taco didn't come with fogs :( and i have been told by 2 people that they will, and won't fit :confused:. Just to make sure, do they? Thanks guys

13. Aug 5, 2011 at 11:58 PM
    HockeyTaco Kid

HockeyTaco Kid The snozzberries taste like snozzberries.

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Rancho Palos Verdes, CA
    Vehicle:
    11 PreRunner SR5
  14. Sep 30, 2011 at 8:49 AM
    Kodachrome

Kodachrome Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2005 Taco, 2021 Audi eTron GT
    TRD S/C, URD Galore
    I am going to be fitting 510's in my new Aluminess front bumper, I would prefer to be stock since I really don't like blinding people, but unless I fab something, PIAA it is.

But what is concerning me now in reading this thread is the claim of water cracking the glass. The time I use my fogs the most is in heavy rain storms or snow which I drive a lot in. Often a layer of snow and or ice will build up on the fogs which I suppose could melt with these lights.

So what is the point of having these so called off road lights if you can't use them in inclement weather? Or are they ok?

15. Sep 30, 2011 at 8:54 AM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    They are fine in inclement weather, the concern is when you put 510's in the stock fog location, they build up a lot of heat. On a hot day (or night) if you have them on for a while then run them through a car wash with cold water, that sudden jolt from really hot to cold can cause the lens to crack. It was just brought up as a precaution for people putting 510's in the stock fog light location. I've been running a set of 520's for years and have not had any issues with the lenses cracking in the rain or snow.

16. Sep 30, 2011 at 8:59 AM
    Kodachrome

Member:
    Western Colorado
    Vehicle:
    TRD S/C, URD Galore
    Ok, I should not run into that as I rarely go to hot locations, certainly don't run fogs in the day. The hole in the new bumper would fit 540's but I have read people having too many issues with blowing fuses in the OEM fog harness which I really need to be able to use. I don't need the power of the 540's either, so I think the space around the 510's in the new bumper will help cool them as well.

I also don't use drive through car washes, only the hand type.

17. Sep 30, 2011 at 9:32 AM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    510's and 540's both use 55w bulbs so if you are going to have issues with the stock wiring and fuses, both lamps will have the same issues since both have the same power draw.

18. Sep 30, 2011 at 9:41 AM
    Kodachrome

Member:
    Western Colorado
    Vehicle:
    TRD S/C, URD Galore
    Huh...

So is anyone having any luck in putting these in and using the oem harness?

19. Sep 30, 2011 at 9:46 AM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Can't help you there, I wired mine separately. I'm running 45w fog lights without any issues. I'm sure someone will chime in, somebody must have tried using the stock wiring for this set-up.

20. Feb 13, 2012 at 6:11 AM
    cverneau

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Cheshire, CT.
    Vehicle:
    OK,
    I finally got my hands on PIAA 510 super white lights for a decent price and plan on putting them in the standard fog locations. Has anyone ever put in the yellow fog bulb into one of the super white housings?? I know the difference is the lens and bulb when you purchase the PIAA fog lights, but I'm curious what the yellow bulb would look like with the super white lens. Any idea??

Products Discussed in

To Top